Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Souless Geneva People (Disgusting to the core)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Souless Geneva People (Disgusting to the core)

Overfed, Overprivileged, Could not bother to raise their overfed behinds up, or look up from their Iphones to offer a VERY old man a seat on the tram today. No one, at all. Truly disgusting, Congratulations Geneva, keep up the good work.

P.S I myself was standing.

The text you are quoting:

Overfed, Overprivileged, Could not bother to raise their overfed behinds up, or look up from their Iphones to offer a VERY old man a seat on the tram today. No one, at all. Truly disgusting, Congratulations Geneva, keep up the good work.

Sivan WriterSep 29, 2016 @ 21:53
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 1906 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Souless Geneva People (Disgusting to the core)
Post 1

Ahalan Sivan,

I think you're making a big generalisation about Geneva people. Just like everywhere else: some people are selfish, some ain't.

Having said the above, I've also seen what you described. An old person gets on a packed bus, and the youngsters don't get up. It's very sad to see.

But I think it happens more and more everywhere, Geneva and other cities.

Ahalan Sivan,

I think you're making a big generalisation about Geneva people. Just like everywhere else: some people are selfish, some ain't.

Having said the above, I've also seen what you described. An old person gets on a packed bus, and the youngsters don't get up. It's very sad to see.

But I think it happens more and more everywhere, Geneva and other cities.

Nir Ofek, Sep 29, 2016 @ 21:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Sep 29, 16 21:53

I can agree to the idea that we here in Geneva are overprifileged and I once witnessed an old man colapse on a hot day waiting to get on a crowded tram.  Everyone just got on the tram while the man colapsed.  It was hard to see, me and another man carried the guy into the shade and sat with him and his wife.  

I spent some time thinking about why and how it is that people can be like that.  

I have no real answers but I do think when people are as well off as we as we are here there is kind of general numbness to suffering.  It is kind of like as it is not normal it becomes invisible.  And while something as simple as an old man on a tram, who might be suffering to stand, seems logical and many people do actually notice and give up their seats, but a lot of people end up in their own world.  

Sivan, I am glad you are not one of those people, I know Nir is not.  I think all we can do is act correct and show the way, bring to life the activity we want to have.  Wake people up, but simply asking someone to give up their seat when you see it.  I think people will respond to that, positively.  For the most part people are asleep, not bad, in their own world kind of scared to participate or look around.  

I can agree to the idea that we here in Geneva are overprifileged and I once witnessed an old man colapse on a hot day waiting to get on a crowded tram.  Everyone just got on the tram while the man colapsed.  It was hard to see, me and another man carried the guy into the shade and sat with him and his wife.  

I spent some time thinking about why and how it is that people can be like that.  

I have no real answers but I do think when people are as well off as we as we are here there is kind of general numbness to suffering.  It is kind of like as it is not normal it becomes invisible.  And while something as simple as an old man on a tram, who might be suffering to stand, seems logical and many people do actually notice and give up their seats, but a lot of people end up in their own world.  

Sivan, I am glad you are not one of those people, I know Nir is not.  I think all we can do is act correct and show the way, bring to life the activity we want to have.  Wake people up, but simply asking someone to give up their seat when you see it.  I think people will respond to that, positively.  For the most part people are asleep, not bad, in their own world kind of scared to participate or look around.  

TonyT, Sep 30, 2016 @ 08:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Given the fact that about 45% of Geneva's population are international... the question comes to mind. Where is this world heading to?

For me the most plausible explanation is that they were so obsessed with their phones, that they probably did not even notice...

I have been only here for two months, but I have witnessed cases that people indeed have offered their seat to the elderly, so try to see it as a bad moment, not all hope is lost!

Given the fact that about 45% of Geneva's population are international... the question comes to mind. Where is this world heading to?

For me the most plausible explanation is that they were so obsessed with their phones, that they probably did not even notice...

I have been only here for two months, but I have witnessed cases that people indeed have offered their seat to the elderly, so try to see it as a bad moment, not all hope is lost!

Panos K, Sep 30, 2016 @ 08:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Yes people in Geneva offer readily seats to elders, Women specialy pregnant very easily. I did not see an exception. Probably this is one off.

Yes people in Geneva offer readily seats to elders, Women specialy pregnant very easily. I did not see an exception. Probably this is one off.

Leslie Menezes, Oct 6, 2016 @ 17:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

When I had a broken leg  and crutches people were always getting up to give me a seat on public transport here or to help me on. Not the same visiting family in UK where noone got up at all.

I dscussed this with an older lady who had been similarly infirmed  here a few months before me and she said people here couldn't have helped her more when she had had a fracture and crutches.

When I had a broken leg  and crutches people were always getting up to give me a seat on public transport here or to help me on. Not the same visiting family in UK where noone got up at all.

I dscussed this with an older lady who had been similarly infirmed  here a few months before me and she said people here couldn't have helped her more when she had had a fracture and crutches.

TogJay, Oct 6, 2016 @ 17:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I have experienced quite the opposite. a lot of help for the elderly and the pregnant. However the teens on the other hand are a whole other story.

I have experienced quite the opposite. a lot of help for the elderly and the pregnant. However the teens on the other hand are a whole other story.

Marcy S, Oct 7, 2016 @ 12:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

People rarely offered my wife a seat when she was pregnant. Italy (we're not Italian by the way) was a different story. Two people got into a fight because they wanted to offer their seats. True story.

People rarely offered my wife a seat when she was pregnant. Italy (we're not Italian by the way) was a different story. Two people got into a fight because they wanted to offer their seats. True story.

CH K, Oct 7, 2016 @ 16:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I am not sure we can really make this about Geneva.  Geneva is so diverse as a population you do not know where the person comes from that offers your seat, or ignores you or others in need.  This is a universal issue at a point in time in the world outside of Geneva, there are a lot of scary things going on.  

Maybe that person who is in their own world, comes from a place where seeing someone else or paying attention to them can put them in harms way in some form. 

I have been lucky, I grew up in Alaska, where people are not so nice, they are there to be away from people so there is not a lot of talking to each other but there is help when in need.  I have been in Italy, where people have suffered in the face of corruption and greed and for the most part, when ever I wanted to talk to someone as long as we could communicate they would.  But I had to make the effort.  The UK was great, I could get into an argument at any moment and it would be ok.  Actually it was ok to disagree outloud in public, it did not feel like judgement.  Spain, well it was only for sunshine. 

anyway my long winded point is that here is different. If we are talking about only the Swiss, it is challenging, the Swiss in Geneva some seem afraid to some extent and other have embraced their city as a center point for diversity.  The Swiss in Valais, Vaud, Fribourg are so welcoming and gracious. 

I have had a lot of trouble finding my place here, but if I think about it... Not sure it ever happened so perhaps, it is me?   Maybe there is a reason someone does not offer me a seat on the bus, maybe I am scary?  

If you made it to the end of this comment you probably get why it is hard to talk with me... Cool So I can not hold it against anyone. Especially the kids, as we leave them a planet where they will have a lot of big problems to work out.  I think I can find a way to give them all a break and try to just find my way. 

I am not sure we can really make this about Geneva.  Geneva is so diverse as a population you do not know where the person comes from that offers your seat, or ignores you or others in need.  This is a universal issue at a point in time in the world outside of Geneva, there are a lot of scary things going on.  

Maybe that person who is in their own world, comes from a place where seeing someone else or paying attention to them can put them in harms way in some form. 

I have been lucky, I grew up in Alaska, where people are not so nice, they are there to be away from people so there is not a lot of talking to each other but there is help when in need.  I have been in Italy, where people have suffered in the face of corruption and greed and for the most part, when ever I wanted to talk to someone as long as we could communicate they would.  But I had to make the effort.  The UK was great, I could get into an argument at any moment and it would be ok.  Actually it was ok to disagree outloud in public, it did not feel like judgement.  Spain, well it was only for sunshine. 

anyway my long winded point is that here is different. If we are talking about only the Swiss, it is challenging, the Swiss in Geneva some seem afraid to some extent and other have embraced their city as a center point for diversity.  The Swiss in Valais, Vaud, Fribourg are so welcoming and gracious. 

I have had a lot of trouble finding my place here, but if I think about it... Not sure it ever happened so perhaps, it is me?   Maybe there is a reason someone does not offer me a seat on the bus, maybe I am scary?  

If you made it to the end of this comment you probably get why it is hard to talk with me... Cool So I can not hold it against anyone. Especially the kids, as we leave them a planet where they will have a lot of big problems to work out.  I think I can find a way to give them all a break and try to just find my way. 

TonyT, Oct 9, 2016 @ 10:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

What Nir said is reasonable: some people are nice, other aren't, and this happens everywhere.

However, I've been living in Geneva for quite a long time now and I think it can be stated that being humane is not one of Genevois' top qualities.

What Nir said is reasonable: some people are nice, other aren't, and this happens everywhere.

However, I've been living in Geneva for quite a long time now and I think it can be stated that being humane is not one of Genevois' top qualities.

TheOmegaMan, Oct 9, 2016 @ 11:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I was on my crutches when I took a tram one time and it was pretty crowded, someone offered me a seat and to be honest it wasn't a surprise for me at all, also based from the number of times I took the bus or the tram, I still see people offering their seats to the elderly. So back to your story, Unfortunately, le monsieur wasn't lucky that day.

I was on my crutches when I took a tram one time and it was pretty crowded, someone offered me a seat and to be honest it wasn't a surprise for me at all, also based from the number of times I took the bus or the tram, I still see people offering their seats to the elderly. So back to your story, Unfortunately, le monsieur wasn't lucky that day.

Evita L, Oct 10, 2016 @ 00:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I don't think that one should generalise as there are good and bad in all countries. For me it boils down to good manners and how well one has been brought up. I do remember being on a crowded tram and seeing an old woman with a walking stick and no one offered her a seat. I would have done but was also standing up. I asked a young man to give up his seat and was told why shoud he as no one else had done so. I insisted pretty loudly and shamed him into getting up. 

I don't think that one should generalise as there are good and bad in all countries. For me it boils down to good manners and how well one has been brought up. I do remember being on a crowded tram and seeing an old woman with a walking stick and no one offered her a seat. I would have done but was also standing up. I asked a young man to give up his seat and was told why shoud he as no one else had done so. I insisted pretty loudly and shamed him into getting up. 

delseta9_, Oct 17, 2016 @ 13:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 1906 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form