Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Sublet nightmare

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Sublet nightmare

Hi all, I know there are many people here being screwed over when subletting flats, but in my case I'm being screwed by the person I subletted my flat to.

She left the flat in a horrendous state. Lots of things broken, the couch ruined, so much so that the broken things surpassed her deposit of 1500 Chf. She refuses to pay for many of the things she broke and ruined and contacted a lawyer.

My question is: how long can I legally keep her deposit until paying it back (or what remains of it)?

Also, I didnt know that deposit had to be paid into a secure account. What problems can I face now legally?

The text you are quoting:

Hi all, I know there are many people here being screwed over when subletting flats, but in my case I'm being screwed by the person I subletted my flat to.

She left the flat in a horrendous state. Lots of things broken, the couch ruined, so much so that the broken things surpassed her deposit of 1500 Chf. She refuses to pay for many of the things she broke and ruined and contacted a lawyer.

My question is: how long can I legally keep her deposit until paying it back (or what remains of it)?

Also, I didnt know that deposit had to be paid into a secure account. What problems can I face now legally?

Katja SiloMay 14, 2016 @ 14:09
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1166 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Sublet nightmare
Post 1

Dear Katja and All of you,

Thank you for bringing out the subject. Indeed, being screwed up by the person who sublet your flat is never mentioned. But that happens and more often that you could think.

By subleting your flat which is "home" you are taking a big risk. So how to pick somebody? what are the rules to follow, the test to do? Because there is not only a question of money or keeping a flat that after a lot of pain and money, finally you got!

As for me, I will be doing some contract work abroad for specified period. Which means, I will get back to Geneva. So I am in the procces of subleting my very pretty & very new flat. And so far, I was unable to pick somebody:( 

I noticed some people come to visit with some suspicious mind, because of "the subleting label" others try to negociate, and not only the montly rent..the few remaining don't fill the main requirements. And even if we are talking of professional expats, how to pick the right person? how to avoid a big mistake?

Time goes fast and I have to find/pick the best person to put in my place ASAP

Some advice and constructive answers would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Dear Katja and All of you,

Thank you for bringing out the subject. Indeed, being screwed up by the person who sublet your flat is never mentioned. But that happens and more often that you could think.

By subleting your flat which is "home" you are taking a big risk. So how to pick somebody? what are the rules to follow, the test to do? Because there is not only a question of money or keeping a flat that after a lot of pain and money, finally you got!

As for me, I will be doing some contract work abroad for specified period. Which means, I will get back to Geneva. So I am in the procces of subleting my very pretty & very new flat. And so far, I was unable to pick somebody:( 

I noticed some people come to visit with some suspicious mind, because of "the subleting label" others try to negociate, and not only the montly rent..the few remaining don't fill the main requirements. And even if we are talking of professional expats, how to pick the right person? how to avoid a big mistake?

Time goes fast and I have to find/pick the best person to put in my place ASAP

Some advice and constructive answers would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Gabriella G, May 15, 2016 @ 22:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Some time ago I rent out my studio to one person who after only 1 week told me who does want to live over there. As I was abroad, I was not able to rent out my studio again, so I lost some thousand CHF plus it was really hard to get back my home keys, not saying anything about the status of my flat.

So I believe next time I would bascially stick to min. 2 months gurantee (even if I see many ads with only 1 month gurantee), especially if you leave a lot of private items in flat and make sure that the agreement is properly prepared. It is also good to have at least 2 meetings with a person, what not always is possible since some people are still abroad - in that case you have to learn about a person via Skype.

I am happy to hear any other tips from persons who have more experience in this subject.

Some time ago I rent out my studio to one person who after only 1 week told me who does want to live over there. As I was abroad, I was not able to rent out my studio again, so I lost some thousand CHF plus it was really hard to get back my home keys, not saying anything about the status of my flat.

So I believe next time I would bascially stick to min. 2 months gurantee (even if I see many ads with only 1 month gurantee), especially if you leave a lot of private items in flat and make sure that the agreement is properly prepared. It is also good to have at least 2 meetings with a person, what not always is possible since some people are still abroad - in that case you have to learn about a person via Skype.

I am happy to hear any other tips from persons who have more experience in this subject.

Kris R, May 16, 2016 @ 00:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Indeed, asking for only one month of guarantee is too risky.  Two months is a good compromise to both sides. Meetings are a key point, I wouldn't pick somebody if I cannot meet the person. First to visit the flat and later, when I decided to include the person in the final list of candidats to get the flat (if I am lucky enough to have some choice)

Set up a personal contact, having a coffee/drink with the person you decided to pick is a basic point to me.

But still, you can go wrong with your choice or simply, you don't have a choice because of deadlines or whateve else...

Indeed, asking for only one month of guarantee is too risky.  Two months is a good compromise to both sides. Meetings are a key point, I wouldn't pick somebody if I cannot meet the person. First to visit the flat and later, when I decided to include the person in the final list of candidats to get the flat (if I am lucky enough to have some choice)

Set up a personal contact, having a coffee/drink with the person you decided to pick is a basic point to me.

But still, you can go wrong with your choice or simply, you don't have a choice because of deadlines or whateve else...

Gabriella G, May 16, 2016 @ 22:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 1166 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form