Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Swiss citizenship

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Swiss citizenship
Hi,

I just wanted to know the experience of Glocallers who have gone through (or are going through) this process. I qualify now for it and was wondering whether it's worth it or not, and if it is, what's the procedure.

Mail directly to me or information here is much appreciated.

thanks,

Pav
The text you are quoting:
Hi,

I just wanted to know the experience of Glocallers who have gone through (or are going through) this process. I qualify now for it and was wondering whether it's worth it or not, and if it is, what's the procedure.

thanks,

Pav
PavanFeb 6, 2009 @ 15:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1206 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Swiss citizenship
Post 1
hey :)

Can you tell what the requirements are to get swiss citizenship? Do i have to marry a swiss guy or there is an easier way? :P
hey :)

Can you tell what the requirements are to get swiss citizenship? Do i have to marry a swiss guy or there is an easier way? :P
Maria_, Feb 6, 2009 @ 15:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
I think that there are 3 different ways of qualifying:

1. living in Switzerland for the past 12 years;

2. having a spouse that is Swiss;

3. having a parent that is Swiss.

I think for 2 and 3, citenzenship is facilitated, but it's still not automatic.

More info can be found here:

http://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home/themen/buergerrecht.html

I think that there are 3 different ways of qualifying:

1. living in Switzerland for the past 12 years;

2. having a spouse that is Swiss;

3. having a parent that is Swiss.

I think for 2 and 3, citenzenship is facilitated, but it's still not automatic.

More info can be found here:

http://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home/themen/buergerrecht.html

Pavan, Feb 6, 2009 @ 16:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
thanx will look it up :)
thanx will look it up :)

Maria_, Feb 6, 2009 @ 16:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
[quote]Hi,

thanks,

Pav[/quote]

Hey Pav,

My family and myself went through process no 1 (regular naturalisation). It was a lengthy process and was actually faster for my sisters and myself to become Swiss because we had gone through the Swiss schooling system.

This rule clearly reflects this: "The time between the completion of the 10th and 20th years of age is counted double for this purpose".

As the link you provided explains, the decision process includes all three "levels" (Federal, cantonal and communal).

http://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home/themen/buergerrecht/einbuergerungen/ordentliche_einbuergerung.html

I grew up in Switzerland, so I feel mostly Swiss (although not completely ;). I am quite happy to have become Swiss even though the main "negative" has been that I have had to serve in the Swiss Army. Although not my favorite activity by far, it has been an interesting experience and I have made some friends through it. I also very much enjoy my voting right and feel implicated in the political decisions. I would also say a Swiss passport is much better for me for traveling than the US passport.

Hope this helps...

Good luck!
[quote]Hi,

thanks,

Pav[/quote]

Hey Pav,

My family and myself went through process no 1 (regular naturalisation). It was a lengthy process and was actually faster for my sisters and myself to become Swiss because we had gone through the Swiss schooling system.

This rule clearly reflects this: "The time between the completion of the 10th and 20th years of age is counted double for this purpose".

As the link you provided explains, the decision process includes all three "levels" (Federal, cantonal and communal).

http://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home/themen/buergerrecht/einbuergerungen/ordentliche_einbuergerung.html

I grew up in Switzerland, so I feel mostly Swiss (although not completely ;). I am quite happy to have become Swiss even though the main "negative" has been that I have had to serve in the Swiss Army. Although not my favorite activity by far, it has been an interesting experience and I have made some friends through it. I also very much enjoy my voting right and feel implicated in the political decisions. I would also say a Swiss passport is much better for me for traveling than the US passport.

Hope this helps...

Good luck!
Hobbes15, Feb 6, 2009 @ 17:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Hey Pavan,

I wouldn't recommend it, but then we are all different. I'm getting out of here a.s.a.p.

Mary

P.S. Maybe you should get yours - then marry Maria (two for the price of one :-)

If you are really interested I'll tell you about my experience - and Martina's (my daughter) next time I see you.
Hey Pavan,

I wouldn't recommend it, but then we are all different. I'm getting out of here a.s.a.p.

Mary

P.S. Maybe you should get yours - then marry Maria (two for the price of one :-)

If you are really interested I'll tell you about my experience - and Martina's (my daughter) next time I see you.
mary, Feb 7, 2009 @ 14:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1206 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form