Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Swiss driving licence

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Swiss driving licence

Am driving here now more than one year with my Legitimation card and my country(Non Europe)driving licence with help of diplomatic category.

I would like to get the Swiss driving licence and need to know what is the process and 

how tough is the practical test as I got to know that I have to do only the practical test.

And I am very poor with French so is there translaters ?How much will be the cost?

Please share with me your experience regard this matter.

Regards

The text you are quoting:

Am driving here now more than one year with my Legitimation card and my country(Non Europe)driving licence with help of diplomatic category.

I would like to get the Swiss driving licence and need to know what is the process and 

how tough is the practical test as I got to know that I have to do only the practical test.

And I am very poor with French so is there translaters ?How much will be the cost?

Please share with me your experience regard this matter.

Regards

de lJan 22, 2015 @ 08:22
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1765 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Swiss driving licence
Post 1

When we got ours some 12 years ago we had to take a drive in the country and through villages etc with an accompanying inspector who did not (or would not !!) speak any english. I guess what I am saying here is don't rely on getting a translator to accompany you !!. I am not sure what it cost if anything ( I imagine there was some costs associated but someone else may be able to help.). Test wasn't that tough but beware of giving way to your right on all roads despite thinking you are on a major artery !!

When we got ours some 12 years ago we had to take a drive in the country and through villages etc with an accompanying inspector who did not (or would not !!) speak any english. I guess what I am saying here is don't rely on getting a translator to accompany you !!. I am not sure what it cost if anything ( I imagine there was some costs associated but someone else may be able to help.). Test wasn't that tough but beware of giving way to your right on all roads despite thinking you are on a major artery !!

Jeffery S, Jan 22, 2015 @ 08:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi, 

I don't find your country in the 2 lists :

http://www.vd.ch/themes/mobilite/automobile/permis-de-conduire/pays-ayant-une-convention-de-reconnaissance-mutuelle-avec-la-suisse/

(the first one is the country which have convention with Switzerland so u can change without pratical test, and the second u can change with a pratical test)

So u must start in the beginning (but I think it's difficult because all of courses are in french: first aid course, sensitization course and of course inspector)

Hi, 

I don't find your country in the 2 lists :

http://www.vd.ch/themes/mobilite/automobile/permis-de-conduire/pays-ayant-une-convention-de-reconnaissance-mutuelle-avec-la-suisse/

(the first one is the country which have convention with Switzerland so u can change without pratical test, and the second u can change with a pratical test)

So u must start in the beginning (but I think it's difficult because all of courses are in french: first aid course, sensitization course and of course inspector)

Kim N, Jan 22, 2015 @ 22:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

You have to speak to the Swiss driving asuthorites - not glocals.  I still proudly keep a Sri Lankan temporary  driving licence issued in the early 70's for a tourist on the basis of my UK driving licence, so something should be possible but jefrrey's(NZ) comment would suggesrt a test. 

Go to the authoritries or speak to your HR people if they are capable of anything other than hiring and firing

You have to speak to the Swiss driving asuthorites - not glocals.  I still proudly keep a Sri Lankan temporary  driving licence issued in the early 70's for a tourist on the basis of my UK driving licence, so something should be possible but jefrrey's(NZ) comment would suggesrt a test. 

Go to the authoritries or speak to your HR people if they are capable of anything other than hiring and firing

Paul E, Jan 23, 2015 @ 00:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi,

I took a Swiss driver s licence a few years ago ( although I did not have to). I do not speak much french so I had an interpreter. The practical test took about 20 minutes of driving mainly around Carouge area. The office keeps a list of recognized interpreters that you can engage at a reasonable fee. The one I used is actually in Glocals and I can give you her details if you want.

Below is the website of the office:

http://servicedesautomobiles.ch/listings/service-des-automobiles-geneve/

Hi,

I took a Swiss driver s licence a few years ago ( although I did not have to). I do not speak much french so I had an interpreter. The practical test took about 20 minutes of driving mainly around Carouge area. The office keeps a list of recognized interpreters that you can engage at a reasonable fee. The one I used is actually in Glocals and I can give you her details if you want.

Below is the website of the office:

http://servicedesautomobiles.ch/listings/service-des-automobiles-geneve/

Molula_M, Jan 23, 2015 @ 05:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

(1) You will need to go with your old license, an ID + your residence permit at a cantonal authority (The Geneve one is called "Service Cantonale des Vehicules" and it is in Carouge - Route de Veyrier 86 - 1227 Carouge).

(2) They will ask you to fill out a form.  Double check but I think this is the form you need http://ge.ch/vehicules/sites/siteofficielocv/files/ocv/formulaires/permis-eleve-conducteur-et-echange-permis-conduire-etranger_0.pdf 

(3) [If you do not have a US, EU or other "approved" license - check with the reception there] They will ask you to book a practical test and give you an interim "permit to drive" valid until the day of the test.  I had an Indian drivers license which is in a rather tattered condition, so I had to take the practical test.

(4) The level of french you need for the test is pretty basic but (to be on the safer side) you can get an approved translator for an hour (not too expensive).  They have a list at the reception.  I barely spoke French when I took mine and did not use a translator but all I needed to know was "a droite", "tout droite" and "a gauche".

(5) The test itself was 20 mins and pretty straightforward, just drive around Carouge - turn here and there etc. Make sure you stop before a red light, be careful at a zebra, keep within the speed limit etc. usual things that responsible drivers do and you should be fine. Study the signages, although these are not very different from other countries. I suggest you drive around the area with a friend and note the speed limits beforehand.

I was a little presumptuous.  I bought a car before taking the test which in retrospect was a risky strategy.

Good luck!

(1) You will need to go with your old license, an ID + your residence permit at a cantonal authority (The Geneve one is called "Service Cantonale des Vehicules" and it is in Carouge - Route de Veyrier 86 - 1227 Carouge).

(2) They will ask you to fill out a form.  Double check but I think this is the form you need http://ge.ch/vehicules/sites/siteofficielocv/files/ocv/formulaires/permis-eleve-conducteur-et-echange-permis-conduire-etranger_0.pdf 

(3) [If you do not have a US, EU or other "approved" license - check with the reception there] They will ask you to book a practical test and give you an interim "permit to drive" valid until the day of the test.  I had an Indian drivers license which is in a rather tattered condition, so I had to take the practical test.

(4) The level of french you need for the test is pretty basic but (to be on the safer side) you can get an approved translator for an hour (not too expensive).  They have a list at the reception.  I barely spoke French when I took mine and did not use a translator but all I needed to know was "a droite", "tout droite" and "a gauche".

(5) The test itself was 20 mins and pretty straightforward, just drive around Carouge - turn here and there etc. Make sure you stop before a red light, be careful at a zebra, keep within the speed limit etc. usual things that responsible drivers do and you should be fine. Study the signages, although these are not very different from other countries. I suggest you drive around the area with a friend and note the speed limits beforehand.

I was a little presumptuous.  I bought a car before taking the test which in retrospect was a risky strategy.

Good luck!

Kaushik Chakravarti, Jan 26, 2015 @ 08:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1765 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form