Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Swisscom - Internet problems

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Swisscom - Internet problems
Anyone thinking about getting highspeed from Swisscom? Don't!

It's down every second day, I have to reset the wireless modem all the time. It took forever to set up (plus a 150CHF connection fee). This week our account was "canceled" because of an administration error. After being on hold and bounced around on customer service I was told I need to go to a Swisscom store and speak to someone there to solve the issue.

I then ask the CSR on the phone "Aren't YOU Swisscom? Why do I need to go to a store after almost an hour on the phone?" He says that it would take 3-5 days to reset if done over the phone. It will take less if I go myself to the store.

Ridiculous. This is only the first month. If I couldn't "borrow" wireless from a less tech-savvy neighbor (thank you "default" if you are out there) I would be lost.

I don't know what alternatives are out there, but try them first!
The text you are quoting:
Anyone thinking about getting highspeed from Swisscom? Don't!

It's down every second day, I have to reset the wireless modem all the time. It took forever to set up (plus a 150CHF connection fee). This week our account was "canceled" because of an administration error. After being on hold and bounced around on customer service I was told I need to go to a Swisscom store and speak to someone there to solve the issue.

I then ask the CSR on the phone "Aren't YOU Swisscom? Why do I need to go to a store after almost an hour on the phone?" He says that it would take 3-5 days to reset if done over the phone. It will take less if I go myself to the store.

Ridiculous. This is only the first month. If I couldn't "borrow" wireless from a less tech-savvy neighbor (thank you "default" if you are out there) I would be lost.

JMfromTOJun 11, 2009 @ 14:27
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 2597 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Swisscom - Internet problems
Post 1
[quote]Anyone thinking about getting highspeed from Swisscom? Don't!

[/quote]

Well, this is really a very bad account of customer-non-satisfaction.

Generally, Swisscom gets very good feedback from customers, even in independent surveys.

Maybe only in relation to Cablecom, who are always good for a horror-story ;-)

The only thing you can do to get better service is to switch to a reseller of Swisscom, because in the end, everybody (besides Cablecom, of course) else (almost everybody, let's leave out ULL for the sake of the argument) just resells Swisscoms copper and DSLAM-ports.

Resellers with a business-oriented service-offering usually offer significantly better service and have direct access to Swisscom's provisioning-infrastructure - though trouble-shooting that requires local access from a Swisscom technician still requires a couple of days planing.

I work for one of these resellers and a situation like yours is very unlikely to last for more than a few days until the matter is escalated high enough.

All this comes at a price, of course....

Wireless should usually not be a problem. Bite the bullet and buy another router or a dedicated access-point.

Or build your own ;-)

Personally, I have had no problem with Swisscom. Ever.

They even quickly refunded excess-money I wired them in error (decimal point fault...) and went as far as calling me about it.

You could try to email their customer-service department (or send a written letter sent by certified mail) and explain the situation to them (in a friendly tone, conceding to them that errors happen etc.). Then, at the end of the letter advise them that for the days without internet-service, you would like to ask for some sort of refund (you paid full, right, even without internet-service?).

Hinting to them that you may need to be forced to look for another full-service-provider (i.e. they make zero CHF from you in the future and you change to Cablecom) should also help. Losing a customer because of bad service is a no-go.

Chances are, your email or letter gets to a different person with more decision-power, who will at least agree that you deserve some sort of refund (because you agreed with them) and hopefully will also set things into motion to make your phone-line work.

OK, that's only a guess - but Switzerland is really a funny country in some respects and usually, you get nowhere by just screaming into a phone to some call-center "agent"...

Ah, before I forget. Nobody really supports wireless. You should be able to prove that your problems are not wireless-related. The logs in the router should indicate that the connection was dropped forcefully by the other side.

That's why I would advice to change the router first (even though Swisscom will support their own hardware).

OK, long post. Sorry if I bored somebody ;-)
[quote]Anyone thinking about getting highspeed from Swisscom? Don't!

[/quote]

Well, this is really a very bad account of customer-non-satisfaction.

Generally, Swisscom gets very good feedback from customers, even in independent surveys.

Maybe only in relation to Cablecom, who are always good for a horror-story ;-)

The only thing you can do to get better service is to switch to a reseller of Swisscom, because in the end, everybody (besides Cablecom, of course) else (almost everybody, let's leave out ULL for the sake of the argument) just resells Swisscoms copper and DSLAM-ports.

Resellers with a business-oriented service-offering usually offer significantly better service and have direct access to Swisscom's provisioning-infrastructure - though trouble-shooting that requires local access from a Swisscom technician still requires a couple of days planing.

I work for one of these resellers and a situation like yours is very unlikely to last for more than a few days until the matter is escalated high enough.

All this comes at a price, of course....

Wireless should usually not be a problem. Bite the bullet and buy another router or a dedicated access-point.

Or build your own ;-)

Personally, I have had no problem with Swisscom. Ever.

They even quickly refunded excess-money I wired them in error (decimal point fault...) and went as far as calling me about it.

You could try to email their customer-service department (or send a written letter sent by certified mail) and explain the situation to them (in a friendly tone, conceding to them that errors happen etc.). Then, at the end of the letter advise them that for the days without internet-service, you would like to ask for some sort of refund (you paid full, right, even without internet-service?).

Hinting to them that you may need to be forced to look for another full-service-provider (i.e. they make zero CHF from you in the future and you change to Cablecom) should also help. Losing a customer because of bad service is a no-go.

Chances are, your email or letter gets to a different person with more decision-power, who will at least agree that you deserve some sort of refund (because you agreed with them) and hopefully will also set things into motion to make your phone-line work.

OK, that's only a guess - but Switzerland is really a funny country in some respects and usually, you get nowhere by just screaming into a phone to some call-center "agent"...

Ah, before I forget. Nobody really supports wireless. You should be able to prove that your problems are not wireless-related. The logs in the router should indicate that the connection was dropped forcefully by the other side.

That's why I would advice to change the router first (even though Swisscom will support their own hardware).

OK, long post. Sorry if I bored somebody ;-)
rainer_d, Jun 11, 2009 @ 23:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Swisscom - Internet problems
Post 2
You may actually have a configuration problem, this could be that the modem is set to only lease the wireless connection for a limited period of time, hence why every 48 hours you loose connection.

What model router are you using?
You may actually have a configuration problem, this could be that the modem is set to only lease the wireless connection for a limited period of time, hence why every 48 hours you loose connection.

What model router are you using?
DJ_Symcard, Jun 12, 2009 @ 00:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 2597 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form