Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Swisscom or Orange?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Swisscom or Orange?
Hi guys,
I am new in Geneva. Will need TV, Internet and mobile plan (not necessary landline) in the house we will be moving in very soon. Have been considering to have an iPhone plan. Went to the Swisscom shop yesterday but was told there had been a long queue for any models of iPhone. Have not checked with Orange.
Can anyone give me some ideas about which company should I choose, in terms of quality of Internet connection, mobile signal and also price? It would be much appreciated if you may send your post here.
Thanks in advance.Wonder
The text you are quoting:
Hi guys,
I am new in Geneva. Will need TV, Internet and mobile plan (not necessary landline) in the house we will be moving in very soon. Have been considering to have an iPhone plan. Went to the Swisscom shop yesterday but was told there had been a long queue for any models of iPhone. Have not checked with Orange.
Can anyone give me some ideas about which company should I choose, in terms of quality of Internet connection, mobile signal and also price? It would be much appreciated if you may send your post here.
Thanks in advance.Wonder
wonderSep 29, 2009 @ 11:03
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 5505 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Swisscom or Orange?
Post 1

Hi Wonder

I won't pretend to be objective, but at least I can give you some info that might save you some money.

Check out this Orange Offer for glocals members

You get a CHF 50 Discount on your mobile plan, and a free 12 months subscription of wireless Internet.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks, and good luck

Oded

Hi Wonder

I won't pretend to be objective, but at least I can give you some info that might save you some money.

Check out this Orange Offer for glocals members

You get a CHF 50 Discount on your mobile plan, and a free 12 months subscription of wireless Internet.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks, and good luck

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Sep 29, 2009 @ 11:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
 Hey welcome to Geneva

I am currently with Swisscom and have found that they have pretty good coverage all over Switzerland.  I got an iphone through them.  I currently pay 49chf for the 5MB connection.  If you would like to have a mobile and dont want to pay for the land line charge for the internet connection Swisscom allow you to only pay for the Mobile line.   This is good if like me you do not use a land line to make calls. 

So you have 25chf / month

I am not sure if Orange offers something similar.

Regards
Derek
 Hey welcome to Geneva

I am currently with Swisscom and have found that they have pretty good coverage all over Switzerland.  I got an iphone through them.  I currently pay 49chf for the 5MB connection.  If you would like to have a mobile and dont want to pay for the land line charge for the internet connection Swisscom allow you to only pay for the Mobile line.   This is good if like me you do not use a land line to make calls. 

So you have 25chf / month

I am not sure if Orange offers something similar.

Regards
Derek
Dirvine, Sep 29, 2009 @ 11:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
 Thank you so much, guys. I am hoping to get more feedback from our forum fellows.
 Thank you so much, guys. I am hoping to get more feedback from our forum fellows.
wonder, Sep 29, 2009 @ 13:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
 Hi Wonder,
 I am with Swisscom, after being with Orange for  a few years and for me Swisscom works much better generally, but especially in terms  of customer care and service in English, which is very important for me as I do not speak English.

Molula.
 Hi Wonder,
 I am with Swisscom, after being with Orange for  a few years and for me Swisscom works much better generally, but especially in terms  of customer care and service in English, which is very important for me as I do not speak English.

Molula.
Molula_M, Sep 29, 2009 @ 14:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

just for mobile service yallo is the cheapest, but for a mobile and internet package could be worth checking out sunrise

just for mobile service yallo is the cheapest, but for a mobile and internet package could be worth checking out sunrise
peaky, Sep 29, 2009 @ 14:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
 Thank you all, sorry my Internet was down for an entire week. 
My landlord, with whom I have no contact with but through regie,  used Cablecom for TV and Internet before. So the infrastructure is already in the house.  Anyone here got any idea about this company? Good support in English? Thanks.
 Thank you all, sorry my Internet was down for an entire week. 
My landlord, with whom I have no contact with but through regie,  used Cablecom for TV and Internet before. So the infrastructure is already in the house.  Anyone here got any idea about this company? Good support in English? Thanks.
wonder, Oct 6, 2009 @ 10:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
 I thought about getting mobile service with Orange but for weeks they have
 been out of the Blackberry model I want. Their service is not very efficient. A couple of
weeks ago I spent more than 1 hour at the Orange store in Cornavin on a Sunday and they
could not activate a phone line because "the Orange financial department does not work on
Sunday" - then why open the store if they cannot activate an account! grrrrr...In a
way I am glad it did not work that time because lately I have noticed that my Orange prepaid
phone line is frequently on roaming, as if I was in France. I work in Grand Saconnex and this
is a major problem whenever I want to use the phone! Other colleagues have the same
problem.I did get the Orange internet service. The modem arrived by mail this
morning (after 2 weeks of waiting) and I hope it works
well. In conclusion, this week I will go for Swisscom for mobile
service. 
 I thought about getting mobile service with Orange but for weeks they have
 been out of the Blackberry model I want. Their service is not very efficient. A couple of
weeks ago I spent more than 1 hour at the Orange store in Cornavin on a Sunday and they
could not activate a phone line because "the Orange financial department does not work on
Sunday" - then why open the store if they cannot activate an account! grrrrr...In a
way I am glad it did not work that time because lately I have noticed that my Orange prepaid
phone line is frequently on roaming, as if I was in France. I work in Grand Saconnex and this
is a major problem whenever I want to use the phone! Other colleagues have the same
problem.I did get the Orange internet service. The modem arrived by mail this
morning (after 2 weeks of waiting) and I hope it works
well. In conclusion, this week I will go for Swisscom for mobile
service. 

xaviero, Oct 6, 2009 @ 10:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
 Do not buy blackberry? Which one do you want to get?
 Do not buy blackberry? Which one do you want to get?

Surfmoe, Oct 6, 2009 @ 11:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
 I will get the Bberry Curve 8900 at swisscom. Orange does not have that model
anymore. Now they only carry the 8520, which is cheaper but has a crappy camera and no
GPS....
 I will get the Bberry Curve 8900 at swisscom. Orange does not have that model
anymore. Now they only carry the 8520, which is cheaper but has a crappy camera and no
GPS....
xaviero, Oct 6, 2009 @ 12:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
 I wanted to give Orange a last chance so I called to see if I would get better
coverage in Grand Saconnex with a Blackberry. The Orange operator told me "honestly I would
not advise you to take a subscription with us, but with a network with better coverage". At least
they were hotest!Problem solved. I go with Swisscom. I still like the corporate image
of Orange better! :-(
 I wanted to give Orange a last chance so I called to see if I would get better
coverage in Grand Saconnex with a Blackberry. The Orange operator told me "honestly I would
not advise you to take a subscription with us, but with a network with better coverage". At least
they were hotest!Problem solved. I go with Swisscom. I still like the corporate image
of Orange better! :-(
xaviero, Oct 6, 2009 @ 17:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
 I am just switching back to Swisscom from Orange. My blackberry from the company is from Swisscom and my iphone is from Orange so I had the chance to compare the two networks during last 6months.

I can tell you that Swisscom coverage is MUCH more strong vs Orange. Many times I found out that I am out of reach in the weirdest places in my orange iphone while my blackberry swisscom was working perfectly (I'm not even counting the garages or lifts etc). Worth noting, swisscom even works in garages and lifts:) Also iphone sometimes get stuck after no network coverage, so you might be out of reach all day until you realize that your phone was stuck because you took the elevator somewhere...

So depends on how much you can afford, for me, the price reduction did not justify the sub optimal coverage. But indeed, orange is much cheaper.

Cheers
 I am just switching back to Swisscom from Orange. My blackberry from the company is from Swisscom and my iphone is from Orange so I had the chance to compare the two networks during last 6months.

I can tell you that Swisscom coverage is MUCH more strong vs Orange. Many times I found out that I am out of reach in the weirdest places in my orange iphone while my blackberry swisscom was working perfectly (I'm not even counting the garages or lifts etc). Worth noting, swisscom even works in garages and lifts:) Also iphone sometimes get stuck after no network coverage, so you might be out of reach all day until you realize that your phone was stuck because you took the elevator somewhere...

So depends on how much you can afford, for me, the price reduction did not justify the sub optimal coverage. But indeed, orange is much cheaper.

Cheers

Rasputin, Oct 6, 2009 @ 19:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
After reading all your posts, I have decided to sign the contract with Swisscom tomorrow - the new iPhone has just arrived. Hooray!
Thank you all once again, really appreciate it. :-))Wonder
After reading all your posts, I have decided to sign the contract with Swisscom tomorrow - the new iPhone has just arrived. Hooray!
Thank you all once again, really appreciate it. :-))Wonder
wonder, Oct 6, 2009 @ 21:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 5505 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form