Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > The Top 3 Things to do in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
The Top 3 Things to do in Geneva
I have a friend writing a small travel piece on Geneva and they are asking me for my top 3 things to do in Geneva. It could be anything, from a great bar/restaurant to a cool out-of-the-way place that tourists don't frequent. I have my own ideas but I've only been here for about 2 months.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
The text you are quoting:
I have a friend writing a small travel piece on Geneva and they are asking me for my top 3 things to do in Geneva. It could be anything, from a great bar/restaurant to a cool out-of-the-way place that tourists don't frequent. I have my own ideas but I've only been here for about 2 months.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
JMfromTOJun 11, 2009 @ 21:12
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

15 Replies | 1580 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: The Top 3 Things to do in Geneva
Post 1

re 2), I imagine one would also have to find a Genevan who knows the tune as well as the words

and as for 3), yes, the view is great from the Salève, but the visitor should be aware that 'Geneva's mountain' is actually in France.

re 2), I imagine one would also have to find a Genevan who knows the tune as well as the words

and as for 3), yes, the view is great from the Salève, but the visitor should be aware that 'Geneva's mountain' is actually in France.

Ritchie, Jun 11, 2009 @ 23:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
The statue is also on the quai du Mont-Blanc, opposite the Hôtel Beau-Rivage where the Empress (the famous 'Sisi') had been staying when she was assassinated.

The statue is also on the quai du Mont-Blanc, opposite the Hôtel Beau-Rivage where the Empress (the famous 'Sisi') had been staying when she was assassinated.

Ritchie, Jun 12, 2009 @ 21:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
[quote]There's one place, interesting because it's History.

The Empress of Austria, Elisabeth de Wittelsbach, was killed in Geneva in 1898.

You have an tablet on the Quai du Mont-Blanc, facing the Hôtel de la Paix. There's also a statue, but I don't remember where it is....

[/quote]

I would suggest that you google 'Geneva, monuments and statues'. You'll find lots of info that way.

Best, R.
[quote]There's one place, interesting because it's History.

The Empress of Austria, Elisabeth de Wittelsbach, was killed in Geneva in 1898.

You have an tablet on the Quai du Mont-Blanc, facing the Hôtel de la Paix. There's also a statue, but I don't remember where it is....

[/quote]

I would suggest that you google 'Geneva, monuments and statues'. You'll find lots of info that way.

Best, R.
Ritchie, Jun 12, 2009 @ 22:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Go up to that foresty bit above Jonction and onto the railway bridge, just by where the Rhone and the Arve meet. That looks super cool, where muddy water and non-muddy water meet. And if your friends are into fluid dynamics, all the better.

You may want to zoom out a bit:

View Larger Map
Go up to that foresty bit above Jonction and onto the railway bridge, just by where the Rhone and the Arve meet. That looks super cool, where muddy water and non-muddy water meet. And if your friends are into fluid dynamics, all the better.

You may want to zoom out a bit:

View Larger Map
hayes, Jun 13, 2009 @ 15:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
1)Have a drink at the Barje if it's sunny (http://www.tripwolf.com/en/guide/show/378069/Switzerland/Geneve-Geneva/La-Barje).

2)Go to Café Remor for ice cream and coffee (http://www.remor.ch/)

3)Visit Parc de la Grange with its rosarium and other beautiful plants etc, then have a picnic in next door Parc des Eaux-Vives. Take one of the little yellow public transport boats across the water to get there if you happen to be staying on the other side of the river. (http://switzerland-geneva.com/attractions/parcdelagrange.html)
1)Have a drink at the Barje if it's sunny (http://www.tripwolf.com/en/guide/show/378069/Switzerland/Geneve-Geneva/La-Barje).

2)Go to Café Remor for ice cream and coffee (http://www.remor.ch/)

3)Visit Parc de la Grange with its rosarium and other beautiful plants etc, then have a picnic in next door Parc des Eaux-Vives. Take one of the little yellow public transport boats across the water to get there if you happen to be staying on the other side of the river. (http://switzerland-geneva.com/attractions/parcdelagrange.html)

charlotta, Jun 13, 2009 @ 15:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
[quote][b]

hayes (13/06/2009)[/b]

Go up to that foresty bit above Jonction and onto the railway bridge,[/quote]

That will (might) teach me to screw with Google's embedding code by hand -- it worked OK in the preview. This is what I meant:

View Larger Map
[quote][b]

hayes (13/06/2009)[/b]

Go up to that foresty bit above Jonction and onto the railway bridge,[/quote]

That will (might) teach me to screw with Google's embedding code by hand -- it worked OK in the preview. This is what I meant:

View Larger Map
hayes, Jun 13, 2009 @ 18:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
wow... how come i never knew about this interesting point??? :angry: not fair :crazy:

can't wait to head back there .... if only i could click my heals and say 'take me home'...

It's been 2 months since I've been out of the gva scene, and I can safely say, there is no place I'd rather be than gva :kiss:

wow... how come i never knew about this interesting point??? :angry: not fair :crazy:

can't wait to head back there .... if only i could click my heals and say 'take me home'...

It's been 2 months since I've been out of the gva scene, and I can safely say, there is no place I'd rather be than gva :kiss:
YouMeCo, Jun 14, 2009 @ 01:08

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
[quote]I have a friend writing a small travel piece on Geneva and they are asking me for my top 3 things to do in Geneva. It could be anything, from a great bar/restaurant to a cool out-of-the-way place that tourists don't frequent. I have my own ideas but I've only been here for about 2 months.

Any thoughts or suggestions?[/quote]

Geneva has a lot of interesting points as have been shown in this thread. But maybe from a travel article point of view the location of Geneva is as interesting.

historically, go into the basement of cathedral and check out the Roman arch.. dig. It is cool and sets in perspective the importance of the region nearly 2000 years ago. Then with just a little exploring you can find in the surrounding area more Roman sites. In Nyon there is a tower that matches a Tower directly across the lack that was used to guide a barge across.

Another interesting part of the region is the fence of the frontier put in place during WWII, so interesting how it is now just a normal part of the city and the area and no one really even notices it any more.

The location of Geneva is a interesting take on a travel article. A few hours from the south of France, Milan, Paris, Many German towns, Geneva is a paradise as much for its mild weather and location as its sites.

Good luck to the article writer. Much to write about in this town.

IF you need more information look up the ORCA production company in Nyon, they have many videos and lots of information on the region. Just created a documentary on the region about 8 to 10 years ago.
[quote]I have a friend writing a small travel piece on Geneva and they are asking me for my top 3 things to do in Geneva. It could be anything, from a great bar/restaurant to a cool out-of-the-way place that tourists don't frequent. I have my own ideas but I've only been here for about 2 months.

Any thoughts or suggestions?[/quote]

Geneva has a lot of interesting points as have been shown in this thread. But maybe from a travel article point of view the location of Geneva is as interesting.

historically, go into the basement of cathedral and check out the Roman arch.. dig. It is cool and sets in perspective the importance of the region nearly 2000 years ago. Then with just a little exploring you can find in the surrounding area more Roman sites. In Nyon there is a tower that matches a Tower directly across the lack that was used to guide a barge across.

Another interesting part of the region is the fence of the frontier put in place during WWII, so interesting how it is now just a normal part of the city and the area and no one really even notices it any more.

The location of Geneva is a interesting take on a travel article. A few hours from the south of France, Milan, Paris, Many German towns, Geneva is a paradise as much for its mild weather and location as its sites.

Good luck to the article writer. Much to write about in this town.

IF you need more information look up the ORCA production company in Nyon, they have many videos and lots of information on the region. Just created a documentary on the region about 8 to 10 years ago.
TonyT, Jun 14, 2009 @ 16:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
The place that Hayes says is amazing. I've been there when i first visited Geneva and it looks really nice. How the water stays like that i have no idea.

Also take one of those small trains that take you around the parks. Its a nice way to spend 30 minutes. And why not take a lake cruise as well :)
The place that Hayes says is amazing. I've been there when i first visited Geneva and it looks really nice. How the water stays like that i have no idea.

Also take one of those small trains that take you around the parks. Its a nice way to spend 30 minutes. And why not take a lake cruise as well :)
Maria_, Jun 14, 2009 @ 17:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
LOL!!! That can well be a reason!!
LOL!!! That can well be a reason!!
Maria_, Jun 14, 2009 @ 18:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Me too.

Me too.
charlotta, Jun 15, 2009 @ 00:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
Again, the quoting thing doesn't work. Me too want to have a free easyjet flight was what i wanted to say, but maybe that came across anyway.

Btw, if someone decides to go to the railway bridge to look at the two-coloured water, I recommend them to afterwards continue up the stairs to Jonction, take left as they get up there and go visit the little animal park that's there (free entrance). You can't miss it if you just follow the smell... It's got some really cool and unusual animals, like furry wild boars and gigantic sheep, and of course the cutest bunnies in town!
Again, the quoting thing doesn't work. Me too want to have a free easyjet flight was what i wanted to say, but maybe that came across anyway.

Btw, if someone decides to go to the railway bridge to look at the two-coloured water, I recommend them to afterwards continue up the stairs to Jonction, take left as they get up there and go visit the little animal park that's there (free entrance). You can't miss it if you just follow the smell... It's got some really cool and unusual animals, like furry wild boars and gigantic sheep, and of course the cutest bunnies in town!
charlotta, Jun 15, 2009 @ 01:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
go to 'Musées d'art et d'histoire' to see the oldest landscape ever painted.
go to 'Musées d'art et d'histoire' to see the oldest landscape ever painted.
aardwolf, Jun 15, 2009 @ 06:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
15 Replies | 1580 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form