Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Tipping and haircuts in Geneva?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Tipping and haircuts in Geneva?
Hello, I am an American in Geneva trying to figure out what is approriate local behavior. Do you tip here? When and where? I need a haircut (anybody know any good places for cuts that have US prices, 50-70 US dollars?), and was wondering, do I tip afterwards? Look forward to the input. Thanks, shelley

The text you are quoting:
Hello, I am an American in Geneva trying to figure out what is approriate local behavior. Do you tip here? When and where? I need a haircut (anybody know any good places for cuts that have US prices, 50-70 US dollars?), and was wondering, do I tip afterwards? Look forward to the input. Thanks, shelley

s aSep 25, 2009 @ 10:32
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 2958 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Tipping and haircuts in Geneva?
Post 1
 Hi Shelley,

Hairdresser usually have money box with their name on it at the counter. You can give something also it is not mendatory. A couple of francs are usually enough but it depends on how happy you are with the cut.
I am a local person so I go to a local salon down my flat and I am taken care of by the owner so I don't give a tip. However if the employee cut my hair then I give her a tip. This is usually the rule I follow.

I guess you want a hairdresser who speaks english? I heard of Tony&Guy in Rive but they are really expensive.
So Hair at Rue Bautte are in your price range but not sure if they speak english. http://www.sohair.ch/
You can't really go wrong using Jean-Louis David as well.

I hope I was able to help you

Hi Shelley,

Hairdresser usually have money box with their name on it at the counter. You can give something also it is not mendatory. A couple of francs are usually enough but it depends on how happy you are with the cut.
I am a local person so I go to a local salon down my flat and I am taken care of by the owner so I don't give a tip. However if the employee cut my hair then I give her a tip. This is usually the rule I follow.

I guess you want a hairdresser who speaks english? I heard of Tony&Guy in Rive but they are really expensive.
So Hair at Rue Bautte are in your price range but not sure if they speak english. http://www.sohair.ch/
You can't really go wrong using Jean-Louis David as well.

I hope I was able to help you

Raphy, Sep 25, 2009 @ 10:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
 Thank you. This is very helpful.
s a, Sep 26, 2009 @ 13:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
s a, Sep 26, 2009 @ 13:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
 Hi Shelley!

Welcome to GVA :)

I've tried various hairdressers until a colleague told me about Paul - a great hairdresser, indeed.

He works in Mod's hair - 24 rue du Mont Blanc (between Sarbuck's and McDonald's in the pedestrian zone (going towards the lake from the train station)

tel 022 741 10 40
Mon-Sat (except on Wednesdays)

Service is not a cheap one, but as haircut is not done twice per week, Paul is certainly worth the price.

For shampoo, haircut and blowdry last time I paid 105 CHF (my hair has medium lenght). 

He does not speak English, but some of the staff do, so you will be able to get what you want. And, if you are not really sure what kind of hairstyle to choose, he will be able to find one that will suit you.

As for the tip - same story - box with names. I'm used to leaving few CHF in his section.

Greetings,

Tiana
 Hi Shelley!

I've tried various hairdressers until a colleague told me about Paul - a great hairdresser, indeed.

He works in Mod's hair - 24 rue du Mont Blanc (between Sarbuck's and McDonald's in the pedestrian zone (going towards the lake from the train station)

tel 022 741 10 40

Service is not a cheap one, but as haircut is not done twice per week, Paul is certainly worth the price.

For shampoo, haircut and blowdry last time I paid 105 CHF (my hair has medium lenght). 

He does not speak English, but some of the staff do, so you will be able to get what you want. And, if you are not really sure what kind of hairstyle to choose, he will be able to find one that will suit you.

As for the tip - same story - box with names. I'm used to leaving few CHF in his section.

Greetings,

Tiana
sajonara, Sep 27, 2009 @ 14:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
 Welcome to CH Shelley!

My stylist is in Lausanne, and she is a native New Yorker.  She is wonderful!  I realise that you are in GVA, yet should you have challenges in finding a stylist, Nicole is great.  When you walk into her salon you really feel like you are walking into a studio in lower Manhattan.

In my 2.5 years here I have hopped through 4 stylist and I highly recommend her.  I believe cut, shampoo and blowdry is about CHF 100.  The aforementioned, with colour and highlights is about CHF 230.

Nicole at Chez Maxim
21 avenue dapples
1006 lausanne
021 616 5991

Best,
Jen
 Welcome to CH Shelley!

My stylist is in Lausanne, and she is a native New Yorker.  She is wonderful!  I realise that you are in GVA, yet should you have challenges in finding a stylist, Nicole is great.  When you walk into her salon you really feel like you are walking into a studio in lower Manhattan.

In my 2.5 years here I have hopped through 4 stylist and I highly recommend her.  I believe cut, shampoo and blowdry is about CHF 100.  The aforementioned, with colour and highlights is about CHF 230.

Nicole at Chez Maxim
21 avenue dapples
1006 lausanne
021 616 5991

Best,
Jen

penguina, Sep 27, 2009 @ 17:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
 Hi Shelley!

tel 022 741 10 40

Greetings,

Tiana
Sep 27, 09 14:36
Went to Paul today for a haircut and I love the results. Thanks so much for the feedback. He is expensive, but well worth it!
Went to Paul today for a haircut and I love the results. Thanks so much for the feedback. He is expensive, but well worth it!
s a, Oct 20, 2009 @ 21:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 2958 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form