Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Tips on Israel anyone?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Tips on Israel anyone?
We will be heading to Israel for a 7 day vacation soon and I've been wondering if those of you who have lived or visited there, would like to share some tips on places to see, restaurants, tours, hotels and shopping? We are planning to visit Tel Avive, Haifa and Jerusalem.

Thanks!!!
The text you are quoting:
We will be heading to Israel for a 7 day vacation soon and I've been wondering if those of you who have lived or visited there, would like to share some tips on places to see, restaurants, tours, hotels and shopping? We are planning to visit Tel Avive, Haifa and Jerusalem.

Thanks!!!
MarzJun 22, 2009 @ 00:44
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1174 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Tips on Israel anyone?
Post 1
Tel Aviv

go out places

-------------

"Lilinblum"- a region with a lot of pubs and dance bars

"Florentine" st. and the small streets in the area like Vital st.- all kind of small pubs and restos in a unique atmosphere.

"Neve Tzedek" - "the old city", nice restaurants some of them can be a bit pricey and couple of pubs.

"Namal tel-aviv" - the old harbor of tel-aviv which has been rebuilt as a restaurants and shopping area - very crowded on weekends during the day and the night.

Shopping

----------

well my GF can help u more on this one, but i know she likes the "gan hachashmal" area where young designers have a unique shops with their designs.

also "Shenkin" is a famous street with many interesting shops, coffee shops and style .

Restaurants

--------------

the variety is huge, tell me the budget and the style and i can give you couple of choices.

don't forget the beaches !

enjoy

reffael

Tel Aviv

go out places

-------------

"Lilinblum"- a region with a lot of pubs and dance bars

"Florentine" st. and the small streets in the area like Vital st.- all kind of small pubs and restos in a unique atmosphere.

"Neve Tzedek" - "the old city", nice restaurants some of them can be a bit pricey and couple of pubs.

"Namal tel-aviv" - the old harbor of tel-aviv which has been rebuilt as a restaurants and shopping area - very crowded on weekends during the day and the night.

Shopping

----------

well my GF can help u more on this one, but i know she likes the "gan hachashmal" area where young designers have a unique shops with their designs.

also "Shenkin" is a famous street with many interesting shops, coffee shops and style .

Restaurants

--------------

the variety is huge, tell me the budget and the style and i can give you couple of choices.

don't forget the beaches !

enjoy

reffael

reffael, Jun 23, 2009 @ 12:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Marz:

You're in for a great time. TLV is an amazing party town right on the sea, Jerusalem is full of holy places and all religions, and Haifa is a breathtaking place built on the mountains. And Israelis are laid back and friendly. And the food, ah the food...makes my mouth water already!

One advice: hire a private guide to see Jerusalem and parts of the Galil. It's a totally different experience than doing it alone. I highly recommend this Israel private tour guide . Speak with Moti, who is a relative of mine. He's been guiding folks for years, and he'll make a real difference to your tour.

Nir

Marz:

You're in for a great time. TLV is an amazing party town right on the sea, Jerusalem is full of holy places and all religions, and Haifa is a breathtaking place built on the mountains. And Israelis are laid back and friendly. And the food, ah the food...makes my mouth water already!

One advice: hire a private guide to see Jerusalem and parts of the Galil. It's a totally different experience than doing it alone. I highly recommend this Israel private tour guide . Speak with Moti, who is a relative of mine. He's been guiding folks for years, and he'll make a real difference to your tour.

Nir
Nir Ofek, Jun 23, 2009 @ 17:51

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
I can offer you some of my expertise -  the hottest night places in the Tel Aviv :-)

Clara - a huge outdoor bar, right on the sea, where all the pretty girls/guys are. amazing atmoshpere. Try to come early as its sometimes hard to get in, if you dont know "people".

UPTOWN - in the "namal" - Tel Aviv's harbour. very cool bar. open only in the summer, very close to the sea.

The Apartment- on Dizingof street - a reletivly small, but very trendy bar.

BUBAMARA - Ha'harbaha street. very trendy bar, indoors, very crowded. opened 6 months ago. dont know how it is in the summer days, but i think its still good... 

Chatul & Kelev (Cat & Dog) - in Karlibach street. the place to go to for "after party", gets full around 2-3am and goes till 5-6am, almost everyday...

Some of my favourite restaurnats:

Herbert Samuel - fusion food. my favourite. expensive but worth it.

Raphael - very known. fusion food. expnesive

Braserie - open 24h. the best place to eat a burger at 4am.

Cafe Italia - not just Italian... very good.

Itzick Hagadol (big Itzick) - authnetic and cheap Isralei food (i.e. meat and Humus :-) )

hope you have to time to do them all...

enjoy!!

I can offer you some of my expertise -  the hottest night places in the Tel Aviv :-)

Clara - a huge outdoor bar, right on the sea, where all the pretty girls/guys are. amazing atmoshpere. Try to come early as its sometimes hard to get in, if you dont know "people".

UPTOWN - in the "namal" - Tel Aviv's harbour. very cool bar. open only in the summer, very close to the sea.

The Apartment- on Dizingof street - a reletivly small, but very trendy bar.

BUBAMARA - Ha'harbaha street. very trendy bar, indoors, very crowded. opened 6 months ago. dont know how it is in the summer days, but i think its still good... 

Chatul & Kelev (Cat & Dog) - in Karlibach street. the place to go to for "after party", gets full around 2-3am and goes till 5-6am, almost everyday...

Some of my favourite restaurnats:

Herbert Samuel - fusion food. my favourite. expensive but worth it.

Raphael - very known. fusion food. expnesive

Braserie - open 24h. the best place to eat a burger at 4am.

Cafe Italia - not just Italian... very good.

Itzick Hagadol (big Itzick) - authnetic and cheap Isralei food (i.e. meat and Humus :-) )

hope you have to time to do them all...

enjoy!!
DOVI, Jun 23, 2009 @ 18:08

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Thank you very much for all the great recommendations and tips. I will definitely put them on my list!!! Nir we will contact your relative. My mouth is watering too once you told me about all the great food. I love falafel and hummus and I can't wait to eat them. Maybe I will manage to smuggle some to GVA:-)

One more question-what's the best way to travel between the three cities? Trains or buses?

Thanks a lot again!
Thank you very much for all the great recommendations and tips. I will definitely put them on my list!!! Nir we will contact your relative. My mouth is watering too once you told me about all the great food. I love falafel and hummus and I can't wait to eat them. Maybe I will manage to smuggle some to GVA:-)

One more question-what's the best way to travel between the three cities? Trains or buses?

Thanks a lot again!
Marz, Jun 23, 2009 @ 20:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Shalom,

I am Nir's uncle and I am a tour guide in Israel.I saw that you received the best info.regarding the night life in Tel Aviv.If you need any additional info.about touring ,please feel free to to contact me.My e mail is [email protected]

Regarding your last question about transportation- Tel Aviv is 1 hour from Jerusalem and Haifa.To Haifa you can take the train. To Jerusalem take the bus.

Moti

Shalom,

I am Nir's uncle and I am a tour guide in Israel.I saw that you received the best info.regarding the night life in Tel Aviv.If you need any additional info.about touring ,please feel free to to contact me.My e mail is [email protected]

Regarding your last question about transportation- Tel Aviv is 1 hour from Jerusalem and Haifa.To Haifa you can take the train. To Jerusalem take the bus.

Moti
Moti, Jun 23, 2009 @ 22:38

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Try to avoid Jerusalem during Shabat: everything is closed... even worse than Geneva on Sundays.
Try to avoid Jerusalem during Shabat: everything is closed... even worse than Geneva on Sundays.
Casuistik, Jun 23, 2009 @ 22:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to thank you again for the tips and share my experience. I just came back from Israel last night or rather today morning as the plane from Zurich from Geneva was last almost 3 hrs!

I have to say I really enjoyed my stay there. What an intriguing country! It's been my first visit to Asia and generally outside Europe and North America. We went to Tel Aviv, spent some time in Jerusalem, Dead Sea, Masada, Nazareth, Capernaum, Galilee, Jordan River and finally Bethleem.

I love Jerusalem and the Dead Sea most. I found Jerusalem very vibrant with bazaars and different religions existing next to each other. We stayed at St. Mark's Lutheran hostel there and have a beautiful view on all the gems of the old city.

The food was great. I ate falafel and humus every day:-) and brought some home:-)

In Tel Aviv we went to Clara and had great time.

I found the people who live in Israel friendly, open and helpful.

It was such a nice break from 'structured Geneva'. Thanks again for the tips!
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to thank you again for the tips and share my experience. I just came back from Israel last night or rather today morning as the plane from Zurich from Geneva was last almost 3 hrs!

I have to say I really enjoyed my stay there. What an intriguing country! It's been my first visit to Asia and generally outside Europe and North America. We went to Tel Aviv, spent some time in Jerusalem, Dead Sea, Masada, Nazareth, Capernaum, Galilee, Jordan River and finally Bethleem.

I love Jerusalem and the Dead Sea most. I found Jerusalem very vibrant with bazaars and different religions existing next to each other. We stayed at St. Mark's Lutheran hostel there and have a beautiful view on all the gems of the old city.

The food was great. I ate falafel and humus every day:-) and brought some home:-)

In Tel Aviv we went to Clara and had great time.

I found the people who live in Israel friendly, open and helpful.

It was such a nice break from 'structured Geneva'. Thanks again for the tips!

Marz, Jul 24, 2009 @ 12:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1174 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form