Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > UN job taxation issue?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
UN job taxation issue?

Good afternoon folks,

We will be relocating to the Geneva area in a couple of months and I am trying to find a definitive answer on the taxation situation if you work in Geneva and live in France. I am sure this question has been asked a thousand times before so if there is a thread that covers it please point me in the right direction.

In short - The job is with the UN and as such will be tax free we think we would like to live on the French side. So will we be required to pay income tax on the salary in France? I have conflicting stories from people & web site posts and could do with a definitive answer before negotiations begin.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Warren

The text you are quoting:

Good afternoon folks,

We will be relocating to the Geneva area in a couple of months and I am trying to find a definitive answer on the taxation situation if you work in Geneva and live in France. I am sure this question has been asked a thousand times before so if there is a thread that covers it please point me in the right direction.

In short - The job is with the UN and as such will be tax free we think we would like to live on the French side. So will we be required to pay income tax on the salary in France? I have conflicting stories from people & web site posts and could do with a definitive answer before negotiations begin.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Warren

warren mAug 20, 2015 @ 15:35
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1283 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: UN job taxation issue?
Post 1

Hi Warren, 

I also saw contradicting replies to this question, on several threads on glocals and on other sites. If you need a definite reply, which you'll use as a base for making big decisions (like where to live and how hard to negotiate), I suggest going to a lawyer who can give you a sure reply. 

If you go the lawyer route, the guy I use and I highly recommend is:

[email protected]  (speaks English)

Good luck!

Nir

Hi Warren, 

I also saw contradicting replies to this question, on several threads on glocals and on other sites. If you need a definite reply, which you'll use as a base for making big decisions (like where to live and how hard to negotiate), I suggest going to a lawyer who can give you a sure reply. 

If you go the lawyer route, the guy I use and I highly recommend is:

[email protected]  (speaks English)

Good luck!

Nir

Nir Ofek, Aug 20, 2015 @ 15:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Nir,

Thanks for the feedback it is really appreciated. If required I will contact Nicolas prior to my next visit.

Regards

Warren

Hi Nir,

Thanks for the feedback it is really appreciated. If required I will contact Nicolas prior to my next visit.

Regards

Warren

warren m, Aug 20, 2015 @ 16:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

As the UN job is tax free you won't have to pay any taxes (but you won't get any pension or unemployment benefit neither) regardless of where you live.  You should ask the HR.

As the UN job is tax free you won't have to pay any taxes (but you won't get any pension or unemployment benefit neither) regardless of where you live.  You should ask the HR.

TheOmegaMan, Aug 23, 2015 @ 19:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

No worries UN job is tax free in France, However if you are renting an appartment you must pay "la taxe d'habitation" which is an annual tax for renting or own a house. (ask to your tenant about this)

also yes you must declare your accounts, and salary but you have to pay 0.

For more info go here:

CENTRE DES IMPOTS D'ANNEMASSE

3 RUE MARIE CURIE
74100 Annemasse

Be patience and good luck!!!

No worries UN job is tax free in France, However if you are renting an appartment you must pay "la taxe d'habitation" which is an annual tax for renting or own a house. (ask to your tenant about this)

also yes you must declare your accounts, and salary but you have to pay 0.

For more info go here:

CENTRE DES IMPOTS D'ANNEMASSE

3 RUE MARIE CURIE
74100 Annemasse

Be patience and good luck!!!

Jacobo A, Aug 23, 2015 @ 22:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thanks for the info guys it is much appreciated.

Thanks for the info guys it is much appreciated.

warren m, Aug 24, 2015 @ 09:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1283 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form