Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Which mobile phone for living in France, working in Geneva?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Which mobile phone for living in France, working in Geneva?
 Can anyone advice me on the best option for a mobile phone provider when living on the French side of the border and working in Geneva? Someone recommended Lebara to me, which I took but in just 3 days and with a couple of very short calls, it has eaten up 30CHF!

I would love to hear what other people who often cross the border do. Thanks!
The text you are quoting:
 Can anyone advice me on the best option for a mobile phone provider when living on the French side of the border and working in Geneva? Someone recommended Lebara to me, which I took but in just 3 days and with a couple of very short calls, it has eaten up 30CHF!

I would love to hear what other people who often cross the border do. Thanks!

anibeeOct 3, 2009 @ 10:08
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 2796 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Which mobile phone for living in France, working in Geneva?
Post 1
I suppose you want a Swiss mobile number, since that is more common in the area.
If so,  it depends on which Swiss networks are available where you live. Use a non-Swiss phone, and verify which networks are available (if any) where you live. I use Sunrise, since it's marginally better for me.

However, in any case, you'll end up spending a lot on roaming, and I tend to use my fixed phone a lot, for financial reasons.

If anyone has found a Swiss provider with good roaming options for France I'd be delighted to hear it.

--tor

I suppose you want a Swiss mobile number, since that is more common in the area.
If so,  it depends on which Swiss networks are available where you live. Use a non-Swiss phone, and verify which networks are available (if any) where you live. I use Sunrise, since it's marginally better for me.

However, in any case, you'll end up spending a lot on roaming, and I tend to use my fixed phone a lot, for financial reasons.

If anyone has found a Swiss provider with good roaming options for France I'd be delighted to hear it.

--tor

tawb, Oct 3, 2009 @ 10:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I agree with the guys:
1. check out if you can get a Swiss network where you live
2. if it's the case use the manual search of network because automatically it could switch on a french network (then roaming)
3. and if u don't have any Swiss network where u live, use a fixed french line (expensive if you call swiss mobiles but ok for fixed lines) or abuse of skype...
good luck

I agree with the guys:
1. check out if you can get a Swiss network where you live
2. if it's the case use the manual search of network because automatically it could switch on a french network (then roaming)
3. and if u don't have any Swiss network where u live, use a fixed french line (expensive if you call swiss mobiles but ok for fixed lines) or abuse of skype...
good luck

happy4u, Oct 14, 2009 @ 10:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Remember that most providers have options that reduce the roaming costs.

E.g. Sunrise, which I use, has an option "global" that reduces the costs per minute of a call to CH down from 1.70 to 0.50, plus an initial fee of 1CHF. This costs 9CHF/month, so if you roam more than 10 mins/month, it's probably worth it. To be considered by the talkative...

Just replacing the mobile phone by a fixed line is only half a solution, most of my costs come from receiving calls. (I suppose that's the price I have to pay for being so popular (:-))
Remember that most providers have options that reduce the roaming costs.

E.g. Sunrise, which I use, has an option "global" that reduces the costs per minute of a call to CH down from 1.70 to 0.50, plus an initial fee of 1CHF. This costs 9CHF/month, so if you roam more than 10 mins/month, it's probably worth it. To be considered by the talkative...

Just replacing the mobile phone by a fixed line is only half a solution, most of my costs come from receiving calls. (I suppose that's the price I have to pay for being so popular (:-))

tawb, Oct 14, 2009 @ 21:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Another option is to buy a phone that holds 2 sim cards (a french and a swiss one - one can be
a prepaid to avoid paying 2 subscriptions). My daughter has that and it works great - I believe
it's a samsung phone.
Another option is to buy a phone that holds 2 sim cards (a french and a swiss one - one can be
a prepaid to avoid paying 2 subscriptions). My daughter has that and it works great - I believe
it's a samsung phone.
didier r, Oct 24, 2009 @ 02:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
 anibee,
I'm staying on French border and using Lebara.

All I did was change settings to 'manual' and search for 'sunrise' provider and I'm 'IN' Switzerland even though I'm physically on the France border.

However, please note that Lebara is 'cheap' for international calls only.
Within Switzerland, not so cheap, unless it's Lebara to Lebara.

Hope this info helps.
Cheers/Rona
 anibee,
I'm staying on French border and using Lebara.

All I did was change settings to 'manual' and search for 'sunrise' provider and I'm 'IN' Switzerland even though I'm physically on the France border.

However, please note that Lebara is 'cheap' for international calls only.
Within Switzerland, not so cheap, unless it's Lebara to Lebara.

Hope this info helps.
Cheers/Rona
Rona G, Nov 5, 2009 @ 21:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 2796 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form