Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Why more and more women train boxing and self-defense?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Why more and more women train boxing and self-defense?

Hi there,

I lead boxing and self-defense trainings in Geneva and have currently only women training. I got a bit curious about this trend, because I remember from my old days of training boxing or krav maga, that there were only men and only a few women.

Is any other trainer in Geneva/Switzerland experiencing the same? Or maybe there are more man going for yoga classes? Would be cool to hear some other people experience.

The text you are quoting:

Hi there,

I lead boxing and self-defense trainings in Geneva and have currently only women training. I got a bit curious about this trend, because I remember from my old days of training boxing or krav maga, that there were only men and only a few women.

Is any other trainer in Geneva/Switzerland experiencing the same? Or maybe there are more man going for yoga classes? Would be cool to hear some other people experience.

Kris ROct 17, 2014 @ 23:18
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 1512 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Why more and more women train boxing and self-defense?
Post 1

Living in a city with a female to male ratio of 3 to 1 gives women an unusual level of focus on recreational activities.

More seriously:  boxing and fighting clubs/classes used to be overly macho and male dominated, so women didn't feel comfortable or welcome.  Now, times have changed for the better and women will spend their time on whatever interests them, regardless of historical gender biases.

Living in a city with a female to male ratio of 3 to 1 gives women an unusual level of focus on recreational activities.

More seriously:  boxing and fighting clubs/classes used to be overly macho and male dominated, so women didn't feel comfortable or welcome.  Now, times have changed for the better and women will spend their time on whatever interests them, regardless of historical gender biases.

Andy C, Oct 18, 2014 @ 11:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Fair point Andy. I guess we can assume the same for men. Have you know e.g. that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzntve0kiaU

Btw. I didn't know about 3:1!

Fair point Andy. I guess we can assume the same for men. Have you know e.g. that?

Kris R, Oct 18, 2014 @ 13:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Oct 18, 14 13:40

Interesting clip; not least because she negated any effort to prove her equal ability by fighting dirty.

Interesting clip; not least because she negated any effort to prove her equal ability by fighting dirty.

Andy C, Oct 18, 2014 @ 14:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Sorry, this wasn't the full video showing the right point. Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eplLem4jPs

Sorry, this wasn't the full video showing the right point. Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eplLem4jPs

Kris R, Oct 19, 2014 @ 15:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Oct 18, 14 11:59

Hmmm Andy...where did you get that statistic? 

Janet G, Oct 19, 2014 @ 16:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Oct 19, 14 16:36

I have personally counted them all.

I have personally counted them all.

Andy C, Oct 19, 2014 @ 18:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I think classes like Tao-bo helped position martial arts as great for losing weight and getting in general shape, while also teaching self-defense. So the classes became more attrative to general fitness seekers, who are not the typical boxing type. 

Still, a boxing class with only women is un-usual...Kris: the ladies must be coming for the coach...(-;

I think classes like Tao-bo helped position martial arts as great for losing weight and getting in general shape, while also teaching self-defense. So the classes became more attrative to general fitness seekers, who are not the typical boxing type. 

Still, a boxing class with only women is un-usual...Kris: the ladies must be coming for the coach...(-;

Nir Ofek, Oct 19, 2014 @ 20:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

The "ladies" or,erm,women, may also be interested in self defence and confidence building( UK is now considering women only carriages on late night trains, because of unwanted attention from drunk,boorish men),)which would be a step backwards.Maybe the " ladies" just got fed up and don't want to be laydeeez anymore :-)

The "ladies" or,erm,women, may also be interested in self defence and confidence building( UK is now considering women only carriages on late night trains, because of unwanted attention from drunk,boorish men),)which would be a step backwards.Maybe the " ladies" just got fed up and don't want to be laydeeez anymore :-)

buzzcocks, Oct 20, 2014 @ 01:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I think the answer is far more elementary. They want to kick our backsides all the way back to Mars.

I think the answer is far more elementary. They want to kick our backsides all the way back to Mars.

Arun K V, Oct 20, 2014 @ 10:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for sharing this interesting comment.

When it goes about me I don't adapt the training. I saw women doing better than men and vice versa.

And when it goes about sparring I keep it individual, depending if a person wants to do it  and I make sure that she or he is properly prepared for it  via a training path (to not break anything ;) )

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for sharing this interesting comment.

When it goes about me I don't adapt the training. I saw women doing better than men and vice versa.

And when it goes about sparring I keep it individual, depending if a person wants to do it  and I make sure that she or he is properly prepared for it  via a training path (to not break anything ;) )

Kris R, Oct 20, 2014 @ 14:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hi Kris,

Where do you train?

When do you train?

I was looking for a boxing class but not able to find any.

Sam

Hi Kris,

Where do you train?

When do you train?

I was looking for a boxing class but not able to find any.

Sam

Sam I, Oct 20, 2014 @ 15:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi Sam,

E.g we train today:)

Mondays 8.30pm, Fridays 8pm at the Forge (Rue des Voisins 18, 1205 Geneva”- tram 12 stop “Pont D’Arve”)

Please feel free to visit my website: http://genevaboxing.ch/

and join as the first man in my group:)

Kris

Hi Sam,

E.g we train today:)

Mondays 8.30pm, Fridays 8pm at the Forge (Rue des Voisins 18, 1205 Geneva”- tram 12 stop “Pont D’Arve”)

Please feel free to visit my website: http://genevaboxing.ch/

and join as the first man in my group:)

Kris

Kris R, Oct 20, 2014 @ 16:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 1512 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form