Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Working in Geneva but Living in France ??

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Working in Geneva but Living in France ??

Hello, Glocals !

A question you'll probably answered before : I've found a lovely house I want to rent in France, my new work will be in Geneva (fingers crossed). Anything I should bear in mind before signing the lease ? Can you give me some pros and cons ....

(I do not have children, I've got a dog, I like being on outskirts of the city rather than downtown.)

Thanks K

The text you are quoting:

Hello, Glocals !

A question you'll probably answered before : I've found a lovely house I want to rent in France, my new work will be in Geneva (fingers crossed). Anything I should bear in mind before signing the lease ? Can you give me some pros and cons ....

(I do not have children, I've got a dog, I like being on outskirts of the city rather than downtown.)

Thanks K

Kristin SMay 19, 11 16:31
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

17 Replies | 2916 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Working in Geneva but Living in France ??
Post 1

Hello, Glocals !

Thanks K

May 19, 11 16:31

I am not sure if this option is allowed for non EU citizens. But maybe EEA is okay as well. You should check with the swiss government first to be sure.

I am not sure if this option is allowed for non EU citizens. But maybe EEA is okay as well. You should check with the swiss government first to be sure.

Andrew I, May 19, 11 19:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hello,

Well, if you're not EU citizen and you've got a work or residence permit in Switzerland, you will have to ask for a residence permit in France as well.

Sadily, since EEA and Switzerland are not the same thing, you're not supposed to live accross the border.

I know that UK citizen don't need permit to live in France, but I don't know for the others.

Good luck anyway.

Hello,

Well, if you're not EU citizen and you've got a work or residence permit in Switzerland, you will have to ask for a residence permit in France as well.

Sadily, since EEA and Switzerland are not the same thing, you're not supposed to live accross the border.

I know that UK citizen don't need permit to live in France, but I don't know for the others.

Good luck anyway.

Guillaume H, May 19, 11 21:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Better stay out of France. Of course, the rent is cheaper, but you will waste too much time, energy and nerves with the French administration and the "services". Really not worth it. Unless you are already used to it :) ....

Welcome and good luck!

Better stay out of France. Of course, the rent is cheaper, but you will waste too much time, energy and nerves with the French administration and the "services". Really not worth it. Unless you are already used to it :) ....

Welcome and good luck!

anahit, May 19, 11 22:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

In matter of taxes, if you work in Geneva, you should in principle be subject to a taxation at source in Geneva in both cases if you are not a Swiss citizen or "C permit holder" (living in France or in Geneva). There is therefore not much difference. The situation is different if you work in the canton of Vaud and live in France (the French residents are subject to taxes in France in such case)

In matter of taxes, if you work in Geneva, you should in principle be subject to a taxation at source in Geneva in both cases if you are not a Swiss citizen or "C permit holder" (living in France or in Geneva). There is therefore not much difference. The situation is different if you work in the canton of Vaud and live in France (the French residents are subject to taxes in France in such case)

Per P, May 20, 11 08:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Working in Geneva, and having lived in Geneva and France, I finally settled on France. Yes, the administration can be a little frustrating, but the much longer shopping hours, better service, the less 'tense' attitude, and the quality of life are far higher in France. It is also cheaper!

Working in Geneva, and having lived in Geneva and France, I finally settled on France. Yes, the administration can be a little frustrating, but the much longer shopping hours, better service, the less 'tense' attitude, and the quality of life are far higher in France. It is also cheaper!

Brendan, May 20, 11 09:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I currently live in Ferney-Voltaire on the French side and am very happy with my choice. You get a lot more for your money (in housing and other things) especially since the euro is now so weak. Ferney has a nice atmosphere, and it's really easy to get into Geneva if I want to in the evenings or weekends. However, if you're intending on driving in & out of Geneva at commuter time, be prepared for a lot of queuing.

As regards services, you're less likely to find an English speaker on the other end of the phone than in Switzerland, but I have not found them complicated, obstructive or incompetent, as most people who live in Switzerland seem to believe them to be. I am not a fluent French speaker and I get by fine.That said, I work for an international organisation and so don't have to worry about the tax aspect, but this shouldn't be a problem: if it's too complicated to do it yourself, you just pay a small fee for an accountant to do it for you.

I'm an EU citizen. The situation as regards permits might be different if you're from outside the EU. Your new employer can probably advise, since they should fill out the permit applications for you.

I currently live in Ferney-Voltaire on the French side and am very happy with my choice. You get a lot more for your money (in housing and other things) especially since the euro is now so weak. Ferney has a nice atmosphere, and it's really easy to get into Geneva if I want to in the evenings or weekends. However, if you're intending on driving in & out of Geneva at commuter time, be prepared for a lot of queuing.

As regards services, you're less likely to find an English speaker on the other end of the phone than in Switzerland, but I have not found them complicated, obstructive or incompetent, as most people who live in Switzerland seem to believe them to be. I am not a fluent French speaker and I get by fine.That said, I work for an international organisation and so don't have to worry about the tax aspect, but this shouldn't be a problem: if it's too complicated to do it yourself, you just pay a small fee for an accountant to do it for you.

I'm an EU citizen. The situation as regards permits might be different if you're from outside the EU. Your new employer can probably advise, since they should fill out the permit applications for you.

adam_jeff, May 20, 11 10:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Thank you all. 

Thank you all. 

Kristin S, May 20, 11 23:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Since you say "fingers crossed", I'd not sign anything, until I had a signed work contract. In fact, this is usually a requirement to rent anything.  Also, the time, you live in France does not count towards your eventual C-permit, should you go that route later.

Ferney is nice, quiet, cheaper, but transport to GVA has to be factored in.

Since you say "fingers crossed", I'd not sign anything, until I had a signed work contract. In fact, this is usually a requirement to rent anything.  Also, the time, you live in France does not count towards your eventual C-permit, should you go that route later.

Ferney is nice, quiet, cheaper, but transport to GVA has to be factored in.

FerneyL, May 21, 11 01:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

yes u can...welcomeeeeeee..

yes u can...welcomeeeeeee..

cardero's a, May 21, 11 17:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

normally, non eu citizens working with a C permit in switzerland are not allowed to live outside of switzerland as a primary residence. 

if you were to mistakenly sign a lease in france, you would be liable to pay any costs for breaking the lease.

normally, non eu citizens working with a C permit in switzerland are not allowed to live outside of switzerland as a primary residence. 

if you were to mistakenly sign a lease in france, you would be liable to pay any costs for breaking the lease.

epicure, May 21, 11 20:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

We (a UK couple) have been living in Switzerland for a couple of years and are considering moving to France to make the most of the current exchange rate.  Are there any pitfalls to watch out for from other people's experiences?

My guesses are as follows but I would be happy to be corrected:

We save money by not paying Bilag and paying the French TV license instead.

We save money on healthcare (I am planning on getting pregnant some time soon - is it a good idea to move prior to this?)

We can transfer our car (on a lease) to France and have cheaper car insurance and tax and there is a relatively small fee to import the car?  Do we have to change our licenses from Swiss to French and is this easy?

We will have a Permit G instead of B but still pay tax at source in Geneva on our wages?  There won't be much difference in cost? We pay to do a tax return each year?

We have to pay housing tax in France?  Any idea very roughly how much on a 4 bed / 120m2 semi detached?

Are there any other costs/problems I have not considered?  Seems very duanting at how much stuff we will have to change.  Guess we will get ripped off with cancelling Swiss contracts prior to year end...healthcare, Swiscom, etc?

Appreciate any advice from those who have already made the move, and advice whether it is worth the effort. We have a basic level of French.Thanks

We (a UK couple) have been living in Switzerland for a couple of years and are considering moving to France to make the most of the current exchange rate.  Are there any pitfalls to watch out for from other people's experiences?

My guesses are as follows but I would be happy to be corrected:

We save money by not paying Bilag and paying the French TV license instead.

We save money on healthcare (I am planning on getting pregnant some time soon - is it a good idea to move prior to this?)

We can transfer our car (on a lease) to France and have cheaper car insurance and tax and there is a relatively small fee to import the car?  Do we have to change our licenses from Swiss to French and is this easy?

We will have a Permit G instead of B but still pay tax at source in Geneva on our wages?  There won't be much difference in cost? We pay to do a tax return each year?

We have to pay housing tax in France?  Any idea very roughly how much on a 4 bed / 120m2 semi detached?

Are there any other costs/problems I have not considered?  Seems very duanting at how much stuff we will have to change.  Guess we will get ripped off with cancelling Swiss contracts prior to year end...healthcare, Swiscom, etc?

Appreciate any advice from those who have already made the move, and advice whether it is worth the effort. We have a basic level of French.Thanks

fiorinic, Jul 27, 11 15:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi florinic,

I moved straight into the living in France / working in Switzerland situation so I can't help on the move itself. But when it comes to living in France:

Car: If you've had the car more than 6 months then there's no import duty to pay. You will have to change the plates (but I think you have 1 year to do this) which costs a few hundred euros. There is no annual vehicle tax.Insurance should be cheaper (check www.assurland.com) but you'll have to push to get them to accept any foreign (non-French) no claims bonus you've accrued. If you still have a UK licence you don't need a French one, but if you gave up your UK licence for a swiss one you might.

Housing: Of course rent is far cheaper. The tax will probably be about 1000 euros a year (depends on which commune and whether you own or rent the house).

Tax: no personal experience but I believe you pay at source as you say, and then submit a 'zero' tax return to the French authorities at the end of the year (it's free, do it yourself online).

Yes you'll probably have to pay cancellation fees for various contracts - but check the small print for a get-out for people leaving the country. And you'll pay less for your new contracts in France.

Extra problems: mobile - do you get a Swiss one or a French? either way you'll end up paying lots of roaming. Considerably worse public transport coverage. Having to have an extra bank account, carry two currencies, etc.

Is it worth it? Yes!

Hi florinic,

I moved straight into the living in France / working in Switzerland situation so I can't help on the move itself. But when it comes to living in France:

Car: If you've had the car more than 6 months then there's no import duty to pay. You will have to change the plates (but I think you have 1 year to do this) which costs a few hundred euros. There is no annual vehicle tax.Insurance should be cheaper (check www.assurland.com) but you'll have to push to get them to accept any foreign (non-French) no claims bonus you've accrued. If you still have a UK licence you don't need a French one, but if you gave up your UK licence for a swiss one you might.

Housing: Of course rent is far cheaper. The tax will probably be about 1000 euros a year (depends on which commune and whether you own or rent the house).

Tax: no personal experience but I believe you pay at source as you say, and then submit a 'zero' tax return to the French authorities at the end of the year (it's free, do it yourself online).

Yes you'll probably have to pay cancellation fees for various contracts - but check the small print for a get-out for people leaving the country. And you'll pay less for your new contracts in France.

Extra problems: mobile - do you get a Swiss one or a French? either way you'll end up paying lots of roaming. Considerably worse public transport coverage. Having to have an extra bank account, carry two currencies, etc.

Is it worth it? Yes!

adam_jeff, Jul 27, 11 16:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Oh and consider joining the 'groupement transfrontalier', www.frontalier.org, they have a lot of useful information and can give tax advice etc. 

Oh and consider joining the 'groupement transfrontalier', www.frontalier.org, they have a lot of useful information and can give tax advice etc. 

adam_jeff, Jul 27, 11 16:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Thanks Adam, that is all very helpful.  That frontalier website seems to have a lot on it, just not sure ifmy French is up to it.  Will see what I can make out.

Annoyingly we swapped our UK driving licenses for Swiss ones...Doh!  Will check out insurance costs.

Thanks Adam, that is all very helpful.  That frontalier website seems to have a lot on it, just not sure ifmy French is up to it.  Will see what I can make out.

Annoyingly we swapped our UK driving licenses for Swiss ones...Doh!  Will check out insurance costs.

fiorinic, Jul 28, 11 10:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Hi,

I agree with Adam, it is definately worth it. My wife works in geneva, I work at home in Challex. She takes the train from la plaine everyday and I hang out looking down on Geneva in peace and quiet. Some supermarkets are even open on Sundays here, and Migros Thoiry for example open to 9pm daily. I don't have much french but was able to get internet, phone, a car, car insurance and bank account all on my own.

Do it, if you can.

Kev

Hi,

I agree with Adam, it is definately worth it. My wife works in geneva, I work at home in Challex. She takes the train from la plaine everyday and I hang out looking down on Geneva in peace and quiet. Some supermarkets are even open on Sundays here, and Migros Thoiry for example open to 9pm daily. I don't have much french but was able to get internet, phone, a car, car insurance and bank account all on my own.

Do it, if you can.

Kev

Kevin M, Aug 1, 11 15:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

and of course hit me with a message if you have any questions.

and of course hit me with a message if you have any questions.

Kevin M, Aug 1, 11 15:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Dear everybody !

We are also planning of living in France and working in Geneva.

Do you know is we can do it with a Permis B ? I'm french and my husband is German.

Do anybody knows the region of Ville La Grand, Juvigny ???

Many thanks !

Dear everybody !

We are also planning of living in France and working in Geneva.

Do you know is we can do it with a Permis B ? I'm french and my husband is German.

Do anybody knows the region of Ville La Grand, Juvigny ???

Many thanks !

Marie F, Aug 5, 12 10:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
17 Replies | 2916 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form