Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > buying a house in vaud?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
buying a house in vaud?
Hi all,
am new to this forum, although not to Geneva, so hope am posting this in the right place!- We are considering buying a property in the canton of Vaud. If anyone has any info/comments/tips/ whatever really on house buying here (as a non-swiss citizen, although we have swiss legitimation cards) I'd be really pleased to hear them!

Thanks very much
The text you are quoting:
Hi all,
am new to this forum, although not to Geneva, so hope am posting this in the right place!- We are considering buying a property in the canton of Vaud. If anyone has any info/comments/tips/ whatever really on house buying here (as a non-swiss citizen, although we have swiss legitimation cards) I'd be really pleased to hear them!

Thanks very much
BootzJan 8, 2007 @ 14:48
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

16 Replies | 3485 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: buying a house in vaud?
Post 1
What exact questions do you have?
What exact questions do you have?
Nir Ofek, Jan 8, 2007 @ 15:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
hello

well I guess I have quite a few, but to sum up am wondering what problems are we likely to enocounter?- as foreigners, how easy is it to buy property in switzerland? We live in Geneva already but do we need some kind of official permission from the Canton of Vaud to buy there- I understand its somewhere that non-swiss are able to buy?
Do we just make an offer to the estate agent- is it OK/acceptable here to ofer under the starting price if, eg the property needs some work done on it, or not?
Where can we get a survey done/find a solicitor who can handle the purchase
and also are there any rules/potantial probs about selling it on afterwards?. We intend to live in the property, but I've heard that, should we ever be in a position where we need to rent it out we may have some problems with this

thanks very much!!

hello

well I guess I have quite a few, but to sum up am wondering what problems are we likely to enocounter?- as foreigners, how easy is it to buy property in switzerland? We live in Geneva already but do we need some kind of official permission from the Canton of Vaud to buy there- I understand its somewhere that non-swiss are able to buy?
Do we just make an offer to the estate agent- is it OK/acceptable here to ofer under the starting price if, eg the property needs some work done on it, or not?
and also are there any rules/potantial probs about selling it on afterwards?. We intend to live in the property, but I've heard that, should we ever be in a position where we need to rent it out we may have some problems with this

thanks very much!!

Bootz, Jan 8, 2007 @ 15:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
hello

thanks very much!!

hello

thanks very much!!

Bootz, Jan 8, 2007 @ 15:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
I did have a book called "Living and Working in Switzerland" by David Hampshire that had a section on buying houses (unfortunately I've lent it to someone , but forgotten who!). You should be able to buy it locally , but I suggestion browsing the relevent section whilst in the bookshop and see if there is enough information to make it worthwhile buying.

Trev
I did have a book called "Living and Working in Switzerland" by David Hampshire that had a section on buying houses (unfortunately I've lent it to someone , but forgotten who!). You should be able to buy it locally , but I suggestion browsing the relevent section whilst in the bookshop and see if there is enough information to make it worthwhile buying.

Trev
britabroad, Jan 8, 2007 @ 16:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Hi there

- Typically you need a B or C permits to get finance.
- Notary/Solicitor acts for both sides and they are generally very good.
- You need the standard documents for the mortgage application with the bank.
- You can get variable or fixed, and can fix for up to 10 years at quite good rates versus UK / Ireland.
- The bank will do there own survey and valuation which may be very different to the price you have to pay for the property. (If the first bank is way off, try another you might be pleasantly surprised) UBS / Credit Suisse are the main ones
- If it comes furnished, make sure that this is not considered part of the overall valuation as this will cause a problem when the bank does their own valuation.

This is a VERY good article on buying in Switzerland, it may not be specific to your case but it has a wealth of information and tips

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/msej449/35_laforet_leaflet.html

Good luck!

Niall

Hi there

- Typically you need a B or C permits to get finance.
- Notary/Solicitor acts for both sides and they are generally very good.
- You need the standard documents for the mortgage application with the bank.
- You can get variable or fixed, and can fix for up to 10 years at quite good rates versus UK / Ireland.
- The bank will do there own survey and valuation which may be very different to the price you have to pay for the property. (If the first bank is way off, try another you might be pleasantly surprised) UBS / Credit Suisse are the main ones
- If it comes furnished, make sure that this is not considered part of the overall valuation as this will cause a problem when the bank does their own valuation.

This is a VERY good article on buying in Switzerland, it may not be specific to your case but it has a wealth of information and tips

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/msej449/35_laforet_leaflet.html

Good luck!

Niall

Niall_OG, Jan 8, 2007 @ 19:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Thanks to everyone who replied - some useful points...am sure Ill be posting moreon here with other queries in time!

Thanks again
Thanks to everyone who replied - some useful points...am sure Ill be posting moreon here with other queries in time!

Thanks again
Bootz, Jan 9, 2007 @ 22:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
What about if you want to rent the property in the case of non swiss?

What about if you want to rent the property in the case of non swiss?

Susan61, Jan 13, 2009 @ 17:09

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Hi Bootz,

Depending on your nationality, you may need Cantonal authorisation to purchase. I am currently going through this process - initiated by the notary. I understand that legally the canton has 6months for the ruling, but I've also been told to expect from 1.5 months. This may be an issue for the timing - make sure and consult for the promesse de vente/achat... it should be one of the conditions. As for the offer, it is not actually legally binding as far as i understand. Payment comes with signing the promesse.

Hope this is useful,

Cheers,

Tracy
Hi Bootz,

Depending on your nationality, you may need Cantonal authorisation to purchase. I am currently going through this process - initiated by the notary. I understand that legally the canton has 6months for the ruling, but I've also been told to expect from 1.5 months. This may be an issue for the timing - make sure and consult for the promesse de vente/achat... it should be one of the conditions. As for the offer, it is not actually legally binding as far as i understand. Payment comes with signing the promesse.

Hope this is useful,

Cheers,

Tracy
tnt749, Feb 6, 2009 @ 18:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
I should have mentioned that authorisation depends on your residency status. I'm guessing that you may be with an IO which is why you have the Leg cards... if your position is fixed term or permanent, I believe no authorisation required. I'm on short term. T.
I should have mentioned that authorisation depends on your residency status. I'm guessing that you may be with an IO which is why you have the Leg cards... if your position is fixed term or permanent, I believe no authorisation required. I'm on short term. T.
tnt749, Feb 6, 2009 @ 18:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
See also http://www.property-abroad.com/switzerland/buyers-guide/
See also http://www.property-abroad.com/switzerland/buyers-guide/
tnt749, Feb 6, 2009 @ 20:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
Hi! I am an architect living and working in Vevey and have a great realtor whom I work with to find properties for expats - clients or not. Would be happy to talk to you and give you feedback... you can email me at my professional email: [email protected].
Hi! I am an architect living and working in Vevey and have a great realtor whom I work with to find properties for expats - clients or not. Would be happy to talk to you and give you feedback... you can email me at my professional email: [email protected].
loungewithme, Feb 6, 2009 @ 21:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
[quote]What about if you want to rent the property in the case of non swiss?

[/quote]

Hi Susan,

Swiss and EU nationals (on B or L permits) have the same unrestricted rights concerning residential property.

Others may only buy a main residence to live in plus, in certain circumstances, a second 'vacation home'. Renting out would make it an investment property and is therefore not permitted.

My firm arranges property finance and advises on tax efficient purchase.

Good luck :-)

Phillip

www.artesia.ch

[/quote]

Hi Susan,

Swiss and EU nationals (on B or L permits) have the same unrestricted rights concerning residential property.

Others may only buy a main residence to live in plus, in certain circumstances, a second 'vacation home'. Renting out would make it an investment property and is therefore not permitted.

My firm arranges property finance and advises on tax efficient purchase.

Good luck :-)

Phillip

www.artesia.ch

wilycoyote, Feb 7, 2009 @ 15:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

[/quote]

excuse me, I did mean to say 'Others, who must have a full B permit'

[/quote]

excuse me, I did mean to say 'Others, who must have a full B permit'
wilycoyote, Feb 7, 2009 @ 15:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

If you're still looking for information, try this link here which explains the situation for cartes de legitimation holders. It's pretty unrestricted.

http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/topics/intorg/un/unge/gepri/manres/manre2.html

If you're still looking for information, try this link here which explains the situation for cartes de legitimation holders. It's pretty unrestricted.

http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/topics/intorg/un/unge/gepri/manres/manre2.html
iangeneva, Feb 17, 2009 @ 19:54

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
16 Replies | 3485 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form