Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > cycling lessons for adults

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
cycling lessons for adults

Hello

Does anyone know where they teach adults how to ride a bicycle in Geneva? A friend is coming over from London for a week and i want to go cycling with her but she does not know how to ride a bike. Cheers

The text you are quoting:

Hello

Does anyone know where they teach adults how to ride a bicycle in Geneva? A friend is coming over from London for a week and i want to go cycling with her but she does not know how to ride a bike. Cheers

delseta9_Aug 26, 2012 @ 17:27
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1549 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: cycling lessons for adults
Post 1

http://www.samediduvelo.ch/conduite.php

http://www.samediduvelo.ch/conduite.php

tawb, Aug 26, 2012 @ 20:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I am trying to learn too; I've tried before, several times, but have a dreadful (not to say non-existent!) sense of balance and find it very, very difficult even to keep the bike upright. I have been in touch with Pro Velo, who run the classes described above, but although they say they give individual classes, they seem very uninterested in actually helping you to organise one. They have suggested several times that I join a group class, but having tried them before, I know that won't work.

Is anyone aware of somewhere else in Geneva that might offer individual classes for very adult and fairly hopeless adults (I'm 59)? Thank you!

I am trying to learn too; I've tried before, several times, but have a dreadful (not to say non-existent!) sense of balance and find it very, very difficult even to keep the bike upright. I have been in touch with Pro Velo, who run the classes described above, but although they say they give individual classes, they seem very uninterested in actually helping you to organise one. They have suggested several times that I join a group class, but having tried them before, I know that won't work.

Is anyone aware of somewhere else in Geneva that might offer individual classes for very adult and fairly hopeless adults (I'm 59)? Thank you!

Rosemary H, Apr 13, 2018 @ 11:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I don't think you need specific lessons. You should mount training wheels on a normal adult bike (yes, they do exist. If Decathlon or other local sports stores don't have it, you can buy them on the Internet) and go biking with a friend. Choose some pedestrian area with low traffic. After some weeks, once you feel confident, remove the little wheels.

Best of luck and congratulations, it's always good to learn something new!

I don't think you need specific lessons. You should mount training wheels on a normal adult bike (yes, they do exist. If Decathlon or other local sports stores don't have it, you can buy them on the Internet) and go biking with a friend. Choose some pedestrian area with low traffic. After some weeks, once you feel confident, remove the little wheels.

Best of luck and congratulations, it's always good to learn something new!

TheOmegaMan, Apr 16, 2018 @ 19:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hello, TheOmegaMan! Thank you very much for your reply. I had considered that, but there are several problems. The first is that I don't own a bicycle .. yet. The second problem is that I don't think, said as it is, that I have a friend who rides a bike. The third is that the reason I need this skill is to use it when travelling with a friend who doesn't live in Geneva but CAN ride a bike - often we want to hire one at sites like Angor Wat, but she never can, because I can't keep one upright. And I'm a bit afraid of getting so used to training wheels that I won't be able to balance the bike unless I have them. Do you think that would happen?

Last week I looked at a video on YouTube from the British cycling association that shows you how to teach yourself. I think I might try and hire one from Pro Velo and teach myself in the park. Do you think that might work?

Thank you very much again for your help!

Rosemary

Hello, TheOmegaMan! Thank you very much for your reply. I had considered that, but there are several problems. The first is that I don't own a bicycle .. yet. The second problem is that I don't think, said as it is, that I have a friend who rides a bike. The third is that the reason I need this skill is to use it when travelling with a friend who doesn't live in Geneva but CAN ride a bike - often we want to hire one at sites like Angor Wat, but she never can, because I can't keep one upright. And I'm a bit afraid of getting so used to training wheels that I won't be able to balance the bike unless I have them. Do you think that would happen?

Last week I looked at a video on YouTube from the British cycling association that shows you how to teach yourself. I think I might try and hire one from Pro Velo and teach myself in the park. Do you think that might work?

Thank you very much again for your help!

Rosemary

Rosemary H, Apr 16, 2018 @ 21:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1549 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form