Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > good english bookshops ?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
good english bookshops ?
hello there!
I usually find what I need at "la Fnac". However, I miss the 'local' experience and long talks with other customers at the shop. Are there any good english (spoken & written) bookshops around ?

and btw, do any of you regularly order books online? is there some local or swiss based online english books shop?

any answer will be welcomed :)
@
The text you are quoting:
hello there!
I usually find what I need at "la Fnac". However, I miss the 'local' experience and long talks with other customers at the shop. Are there any good english (spoken & written) bookshops around ?

and btw, do any of you regularly order books online? is there some local or swiss based online english books shop?

any answer will be welcomed :)
@
chineseJun 9, 2006 @ 14:22
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 821 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: good english bookshops ?
Post 1
Hi,
I usually order English books from Amazon.de in Germany. Payot does have an on-line ordering service, but I usually can't find what I want anyway, and besides always looks slightly more expensive than the amazon site (cool thing if your order amounts to 20 euros or more delivery is free), and the amazon delivery times are very reasonable. In fact quite fast.

I had found a couple of Swiss sites for English books, but the prices looked ridiculous and more often than not they had to order the books for you so the delivery times were equally as ridiculous. I dont mind waiting for delivery but then if I have to wait I expect to pay less otherwise I might as well go to the bookstore for the instant gratification :-)

Cheerio,
S.
Hi,
I usually order English books from Amazon.de in Germany. Payot does have an on-line ordering service, but I usually can't find what I want anyway, and besides always looks slightly more expensive than the amazon site (cool thing if your order amounts to 20 euros or more delivery is free), and the amazon delivery times are very reasonable. In fact quite fast.

I had found a couple of Swiss sites for English books, but the prices looked ridiculous and more often than not they had to order the books for you so the delivery times were equally as ridiculous. I dont mind waiting for delivery but then if I have to wait I expect to pay less otherwise I might as well go to the bookstore for the instant gratification :-)

Cheerio,
S.
shadow69, Jun 9, 2006 @ 14:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Off The Shelf in bd Georges-Favon 15, 1204 Geneva
Off The Shelf in bd Georges-Favon 15, 1204 Geneva
Iolly, Jun 9, 2006 @ 15:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
pretty good english selection. Thou Off the shelf is my favourite :)

Val
pretty good english selection. Thou Off the shelf is my favourite :)

Val
Hoiling, Jun 9, 2006 @ 16:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
I've just checked where 'off the shelf' is located.
Pfiuuu... The tramway passes in front of it every day...and I never looked at it. Thanks!

For online shopping, nothing else than Amazon?

(thank you for your answers!)
I've just checked where 'off the shelf' is located.
Pfiuuu... The tramway passes in front of it every day...and I never looked at it. Thanks!

For online shopping, nothing else than Amazon?

(thank you for your answers!)
chinese, Jun 9, 2006 @ 19:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
You can always check out www.books.ch
You can always check out www.books.ch
shadow69, Jun 9, 2006 @ 20:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

booksbooksbooks in lausanne is not bad and the chap behind the counter was an english speaker and friendly. http://www.booksbooksbooks.ch/map.php worth dropping in if you are ever in the city.

booksbooksbooks in lausanne is not bad and the chap behind the counter was an english speaker and friendly. http://www.booksbooksbooks.ch/map.php worth dropping in if you are ever in the city.

Danny B, Jun 3, 2010 @ 23:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 821 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form