Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > how to run without getting injured (inspired by 'born to run')

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
how to run without getting injured (inspired by 'born to run')
i want to avoid getting injured while running. i trained last year for the mini marathon and hurt my achilles tendons. in order to avoid this happning again i've just started running on the balls of my feet. my calf muscles are totally burnt out after my first attempt but i'm going to keep training, even if i can only go once a week for a while.

i love running, nothing else makes me feel as good - exersize bikes and weights are ok but dont compare to the feeling u get after a really long run. so i'd love to hear from anyone who uses this method of running (balls of the feet striking the ground first and not the heel), especially if u run regularly and train for long distances. does it really stop u getting the normal running injuries?

my present goal is to be able to run for a 1.5 hours at a time at least twice a week before next christmas.

thank u.
The text you are quoting:
i want to avoid getting injured while running. i trained last year for the mini marathon and hurt my achilles tendons. in order to avoid this happning again i've just started running on the balls of my feet. my calf muscles are totally burnt out after my first attempt but i'm going to keep training, even if i can only go once a week for a while.

i love running, nothing else makes me feel as good - exersize bikes and weights are ok but dont compare to the feeling u get after a really long run. so i'd love to hear from anyone who uses this method of running (balls of the feet striking the ground first and not the heel), especially if u run regularly and train for long distances. does it really stop u getting the normal running injuries?

my present goal is to be able to run for a 1.5 hours at a time at least twice a week before next christmas.

thank u.
manics1984Jul 5, 2009 @ 16:01
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1164 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: how to run without getting injured (inspired by 'born to run')
Post 1
[quote]i want to avoid getting injured while running. i trained last year for the mini marathon and hurt my achilles tendons. in order to avoid this happning again i've just started running on the balls of my feet. my calf muscles are totally burnt out after my first attempt but i'm going to keep training, even if i can only go once a week for a while.

thank u.[/quote]

Hi there,

Not surprised about the calf muscles - I started reading up quite a lot about barefoot running as a way of reducing injury and one of the main points people make is that you really feel it in the calves - basically because you are absorbing the shock through your muscles, not your joints. As much as the literature sounds good, I wasn't interested in trying out running without shoes in a city, but have tried running in vibram five finger 'shoes'. It's a great experience but yes - I know first hand what you mean about getting totally burnt out on the first go. But it does get a lot easier and I no longer get the bruising sensation on the inside of my shins (I have had shin splints in the past).

For tips on technique and supporting exercises, check out POSE running, chi running and barefoot running. When I started I googled barefoot running sore calves and got heaps of links!!

Hope that helps and good luck with it.

Victoria
[quote]i want to avoid getting injured while running. i trained last year for the mini marathon and hurt my achilles tendons. in order to avoid this happning again i've just started running on the balls of my feet. my calf muscles are totally burnt out after my first attempt but i'm going to keep training, even if i can only go once a week for a while.

thank u.[/quote]

Hi there,

Not surprised about the calf muscles - I started reading up quite a lot about barefoot running as a way of reducing injury and one of the main points people make is that you really feel it in the calves - basically because you are absorbing the shock through your muscles, not your joints. As much as the literature sounds good, I wasn't interested in trying out running without shoes in a city, but have tried running in vibram five finger 'shoes'. It's a great experience but yes - I know first hand what you mean about getting totally burnt out on the first go. But it does get a lot easier and I no longer get the bruising sensation on the inside of my shins (I have had shin splints in the past).

For tips on technique and supporting exercises, check out POSE running, chi running and barefoot running. When I started I googled barefoot running sore calves and got heaps of links!!

Hope that helps and good luck with it.

Victoria
Victoria W, Jul 5, 2009 @ 23:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
well basically you should use a technique that is suited to your running style, ie what feels comfortable (look at michael johnson not great classical technique)

if you want to discuss classical text book technique then the method your employing now is mainly for sprinters. usually this involves just landing on your balls of your feet, then driving through using your upper body through arm movements. by landing on your balls of your feet you are constantly in the so called "drive" phase of running the power development. this provided quick twitching muscles to engage that makes you run fast.

for long distance the standard practise is still to land mid heel as the "strike" rolling forward to balls of feet, the "drive" and then the leg swing back for "recovery". this is the most efficient running technique to conserve energy for long distances. obviously other body form is also important, such as head position, stride pattern (front foot basically should land just infront of your hips) a slight lean forward and an upright body.

possibly your problem when using heel strike is your overstriding your front leg? this place greater pressure at point of impact on your achilles tendon (over stretches them) by moving to ball strike you have subconciously i believe narrowed your stride???

i dont have great technique either, but i find a comfortable style for me that aimed at achieving the above. unfortunately with running outdoors it is a high impact activity and most injuries are caused through over extending.

anyhow hope this helps, enjoy and good running to achieve your goal!
well basically you should use a technique that is suited to your running style, ie what feels comfortable (look at michael johnson not great classical technique)

if you want to discuss classical text book technique then the method your employing now is mainly for sprinters. usually this involves just landing on your balls of your feet, then driving through using your upper body through arm movements. by landing on your balls of your feet you are constantly in the so called "drive" phase of running the power development. this provided quick twitching muscles to engage that makes you run fast.

for long distance the standard practise is still to land mid heel as the "strike" rolling forward to balls of feet, the "drive" and then the leg swing back for "recovery". this is the most efficient running technique to conserve energy for long distances. obviously other body form is also important, such as head position, stride pattern (front foot basically should land just infront of your hips) a slight lean forward and an upright body.

possibly your problem when using heel strike is your overstriding your front leg? this place greater pressure at point of impact on your achilles tendon (over stretches them) by moving to ball strike you have subconciously i believe narrowed your stride???

i dont have great technique either, but i find a comfortable style for me that aimed at achieving the above. unfortunately with running outdoors it is a high impact activity and most injuries are caused through over extending.

anyhow hope this helps, enjoy and good running to achieve your goal!

natd76, Jul 8, 2009 @ 22:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
great reply! tanx for that:o)
great reply! tanx for that:o)
manics1984, Jul 8, 2009 @ 23:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1164 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form