Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > how to teach a child to write legibly

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
how to teach a child to write legibly

Hello, 

I remember learning to write beautifullly by using stencils at school! Anyone know whether there is anything I can buy to help a 9 year old child write legibly and in a straight line?? He is having trouble at school because his teacher can't read his handwriting. Thanks

The text you are quoting:

Hello, 

I remember learning to write beautifullly by using stencils at school! Anyone know whether there is anything I can buy to help a 9 year old child write legibly and in a straight line?? He is having trouble at school because his teacher can't read his handwriting. Thanks

delseta9_May 24, 13 18:59
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 328 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: how to teach a child to write legibly
Post 1

Hi Delseta,

I knew a child with the same problem, at the age of 10 they found out that she needed a pair of glasses. Be well, j.

Hi Delseta,

I knew a child with the same problem, at the age of 10 they found out that she needed a pair of glasses. Be well, j.

jacqueline t, May 24, 13 19:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I used to work at a local school there exercise books that have lines made to help children write they look a bit like piano sheets but not. Don't know where you can find them in geneva may be a book shop or stationery shop. There are also plastic holders that fit most pens and pencils that are wedged shaped to help the children write better.

I used to work at a local school there exercise books that have lines made to help children write they look a bit like piano sheets but not. Don't know where you can find them in geneva may be a book shop or stationery shop. There are also plastic holders that fit most pens and pencils that are wedged shaped to help the children write better.

Beck C, May 24, 13 21:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

If you draw a second line on lined paper, above the each line, the size of a small case letter 'a'. Then each lower case letter should fit into this space except for letters like p,d,q, and you can teach them which part belongs in the middle and that almost each letter fits into this space. Then slowly you can move on to cursive, which is just attaching the letters appropriately. Slowly this will build a size and angle into th childs memory of what a letter should roughly be. Once the really generic shape of the letters are learnt, then the child can add their own touch but slanting or personalising them in the their own way.

Also as mentioned there are a few things ot take into consideration like vision and also left and right handedness. I am a lefty and put the paper almost 90 degree side on, mostly because when using ink, my hand will smudge.

Hope this helps. 

If you draw a second line on lined paper, above the each line, the size of a small case letter 'a'. Then each lower case letter should fit into this space except for letters like p,d,q, and you can teach them which part belongs in the middle and that almost each letter fits into this space. Then slowly you can move on to cursive, which is just attaching the letters appropriately. Slowly this will build a size and angle into th childs memory of what a letter should roughly be. Once the really generic shape of the letters are learnt, then the child can add their own touch but slanting or personalising them in the their own way.

Also as mentioned there are a few things ot take into consideration like vision and also left and right handedness. I am a lefty and put the paper almost 90 degree side on, mostly because when using ink, my hand will smudge.

Hope this helps. 

Farzam Farahmand, May 24, 13 22:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Also it does come down to focus sometimes. When I focus I have the handwriting of a relatively literate adult, when i'm smashing through my writing, it comes across like a parkinson's sufferer in the middle of a 9.5 richter scale earthquake...

Also it does come down to focus sometimes. When I focus I have the handwriting of a relatively literate adult, when i'm smashing through my writing, it comes across like a parkinson's sufferer in the middle of a 9.5 richter scale earthquake...

Farzam Farahmand, May 24, 13 22:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

May 24, 13 22:11

Monstrous simile but still very amusing! Laughing

For the original question, I remember using lined paper for lower and upper case letters which helped even my cack-handed scrawling improve. I guess you could alway try to find this online if no joy in Geneva.

Monstrous simile but still very amusing! Laughing

For the original question, I remember using lined paper for lower and upper case letters which helped even my cack-handed scrawling improve. I guess you could alway try to find this online if no joy in Geneva.

Rich, May 24, 13 22:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Can't image what you where writing and to them when your smashed.

Can't image what you where writing and to them when your smashed.

Beck C, May 25, 13 13:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Oh whoops now I sound smashed.

Oh whoops now I sound smashed.

Beck C, May 25, 13 13:11