Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > job permit

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
job permit

Dear friends, I've got confused with all job regulations here.

I have a permit B (family permit) which allows me to work but it is valid just till end of December, this year. If I will find a job, will it be possible for them to prolongate my permit or will I fell after the same rules as everybody else outside of EU and Swiitzerland?

I understand it doesn't all sound very clear but I am a bit lost in topic

Thanx in advance for your help

The text you are quoting:

Dear friends, I've got confused with all job regulations here.

I have a permit B (family permit) which allows me to work but it is valid just till end of December, this year. If I will find a job, will it be possible for them to prolongate my permit or will I fell after the same rules as everybody else outside of EU and Swiitzerland?

I understand it doesn't all sound very clear but I am a bit lost in topic

Thanx in advance for your help

Liubov DApr 25, 2015 @ 23:29
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

22 Replies | 1406 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: job permit
Post 1

Hi Liubov,

I assume that your husband has a B permit for employment? As long as his permit will be extended and you're still living with him, your own permit should be extended, too, so no problem.

Hi Liubov,

I assume that your husband has a B permit for employment? As long as his permit will be extended and you're still living with him, your own permit should be extended, too, so no problem.

Stephanie D, Apr 26, 2015 @ 17:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Probem is - his permit will not be extended

Probem is - his permit will not be extended

Liubov D, Apr 26, 2015 @ 18:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

As long as you permit is valid you are considered a resident and will be able to work. If you find a job, you'll just have to ask for your B permit to be renewed and it will be extended.

As long as you permit is valid you are considered a resident and will be able to work. If you find a job, you'll just have to ask for your B permit to be renewed and it will be extended.

yoyo lolo, Apr 26, 2015 @ 20:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thank you 

So family reunion B permit can be extended for job reason as well as normal one? 

Thank you 

So family reunion B permit can be extended for job reason as well as normal one? 

Liubov D, Apr 26, 2015 @ 20:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I think Yoyo is right, but I am also lost after reading Liubov's question.

Plus, that I remember for the family reunion B permit, it is not exended the same year as the main work permit holder...

I think Yoyo is right, but I am also lost after reading Liubov's question.

Plus, that I remember for the family reunion B permit, it is not exended the same year as the main work permit holder...

Jessica G, Apr 26, 2015 @ 22:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Liubov:

As far as I know, if you don't find a job by when your permit B expires, you lose the permit. If you find a job before the permit expires, it's easy to extend the permit. 

But this is such an important topic for you, and I suggest you get a confirmed reply from a lawyer instead of relying on our opinions / thoughts. 

Liubov:

As far as I know, if you don't find a job by when your permit B expires, you lose the permit. If you find a job before the permit expires, it's easy to extend the permit. 

But this is such an important topic for you, and I suggest you get a confirmed reply from a lawyer instead of relying on our opinions / thoughts. 

Nir Ofek, Apr 27, 2015 @ 09:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi Liubov,

actually you have to take YOUR OWN NATIONALITY in consideration:

As I understood, your permit depends on your husband permit, then I assume, he is an UE citizen. Until the permit expires, there is no problem; if he finds a new job, his permit will be renewed and consequently yours too.

In order to renew your permits, if is you who finds a job, it will be renewed only if you are a UE citizen too... you will be the permit holder and your husband the beneficiary as family member. In other words, you YOU will have to fulfill all the OCP conditions, and if you get the permit, your husband will get one too.

Good luck!

Viviane

Hi Liubov,

actually you have to take YOUR OWN NATIONALITY in consideration:

As I understood, your permit depends on your husband permit, then I assume, he is an UE citizen. Until the permit expires, there is no problem; if he finds a new job, his permit will be renewed and consequently yours too.

In order to renew your permits, if is you who finds a job, it will be renewed only if you are a UE citizen too... you will be the permit holder and your husband the beneficiary as family member. In other words, you YOU will have to fulfill all the OCP conditions, and if you get the permit, your husband will get one too.

Good luck!

Viviane

Viviane A, Apr 27, 2015 @ 09:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thank you for answers

Thank you for answers

Liubov D, Apr 27, 2015 @ 11:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

To Vivien:

By the way neither of us are EU citizens

However as I heard it is possible prolongate regular B permit in case you found a job even for non-EU

I just wasn't sure if it works for B permit in case it is granted for family reasons

To Vivien:

By the way neither of us are EU citizens

However as I heard it is possible prolongate regular B permit in case you found a job even for non-EU

I just wasn't sure if it works for B permit in case it is granted for family reasons

Liubov D, Apr 27, 2015 @ 11:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hi Liubov,

I am with the same idea as of Vivien, as what happened to me 4 years ago: non-EU and I had a work permit issued by Kanton Bern, the permit was still valid for 10 months, but I changed my job to Geneva. The whole process had to be restarted, not because of changing the kanton, but the job: fulfill all the requirements of OCP on job market rules (type of job, no other candidates fullfilled the requirement after 3 months, permit quota is still open etc), so I think a work permit for non-EU is attached to a specific company.

But of course as Nir suggested, for such an important matter, a lawyer would give the best and precise answer on your specific case.

Hope it helps a bit

Hi Liubov,

I am with the same idea as of Vivien, as what happened to me 4 years ago: non-EU and I had a work permit issued by Kanton Bern, the permit was still valid for 10 months, but I changed my job to Geneva. The whole process had to be restarted, not because of changing the kanton, but the job: fulfill all the requirements of OCP on job market rules (type of job, no other candidates fullfilled the requirement after 3 months, permit quota is still open etc), so I think a work permit for non-EU is attached to a specific company.

But of course as Nir suggested, for such an important matter, a lawyer would give the best and precise answer on your specific case.

Hope it helps a bit

Duy V, Apr 27, 2015 @ 15:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Nir is right - Liubov, you should not gather opinions on the forum as people tel stories about completely different scenarios and/or make assumptions based on... what, actually?

Swiss immigration is very complex and even an immigration expert would me much more information to assess your situation (e.g. whether your husband's work permit is conditioned, i.e. restricted to his current position, etc.) to assess your situation.

I, therefore, strongly recommend you to contact the cantonal migration office or an immigration expert (you would need to provide with detailed information regarding your and your husband's situation) to find out about your options .

Nir is right - Liubov, you should not gather opinions on the forum as people tel stories about completely different scenarios and/or make assumptions based on... what, actually?

Swiss immigration is very complex and even an immigration expert would me much more information to assess your situation (e.g. whether your husband's work permit is conditioned, i.e. restricted to his current position, etc.) to assess your situation.

I, therefore, strongly recommend you to contact the cantonal migration office or an immigration expert (you would need to provide with detailed information regarding your and your husband's situation) to find out about your options .

Stephanie D, Apr 28, 2015 @ 00:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I'm sorry, I shouldn't write on a tablet where I hardly see what I write:

Nir is right - Liubov, you should not gather opinions on the forum as people tell stories about completely different scenarios and/or make assumptions based on... what, actually?

Swiss immigration is very complex and even an immigration expert would need much more information (e.g. whether your husband's work permit is conditioned, i.e. restricted to his current position, etc.) to assess your situation.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't write on a tablet where I hardly see what I write:

Nir is right - Liubov, you should not gather opinions on the forum as people tell stories about completely different scenarios and/or make assumptions based on... what, actually?

Swiss immigration is very complex and even an immigration expert would need much more information (e.g. whether your husband's work permit is conditioned, i.e. restricted to his current position, etc.) to assess your situation.

Stephanie D, Apr 28, 2015 @ 00:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Normally as long as you have a valid permit, you are a swiss resident and therefore you are not submitted to any quotas whatsoever.

If you want to be sure, just send a mail to the OCP they usually get back at you in 24 to 48h. Or if you have an hour or two to loose, you can try to call them.

If you find a job, I don't think you'll have any problem having your B permit renewed.

Normally as long as you have a valid permit, you are a swiss resident and therefore you are not submitted to any quotas whatsoever.

If you want to be sure, just send a mail to the OCP they usually get back at you in 24 to 48h. Or if you have an hour or two to loose, you can try to call them.

If you find a job, I don't think you'll have any problem having your B permit renewed.

yoyo lolo, Apr 28, 2015 @ 02:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

EDIT: After a short reading things might not be as simple as I previously thought. I think you should contact somebody.

EDIT: After a short reading things might not be as simple as I previously thought. I think you should contact somebody.

yoyo lolo, Apr 28, 2015 @ 02:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

After reading all these posts,  I  think that, for real peace of mind, it would be worth consulting a lawyer, because being properly briefed gives one confidence when applying for employment, etc.

So is there anyone out there who can recommend a lawyer who specializesin such matters?

R.

After reading all these posts,  I  think that, for real peace of mind, it would be worth consulting a lawyer, because being properly briefed gives one confidence when applying for employment, etc.

So is there anyone out there who can recommend a lawyer who specializesin such matters?

R.

Ritchie, Apr 28, 2015 @ 09:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

I think I will go tomorrow to OCP and ask them

I think I will go tomorrow to OCP and ask them

Liubov D, Apr 28, 2015 @ 09:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

That could be well worth your time and trouble.  But I’d ask the person you speak to for his/her name.  I’d also make a personal note of the date and time of my  visit – just in case a come-back is ever needed.

R.

That could be well worth your time and trouble.  But I’d ask the person you speak to for his/her name.  I’d also make a personal note of the date and time of my  visit – just in case a come-back is ever needed.

R.

Ritchie, Apr 28, 2015 @ 10:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Jan 1, 70 01:00

Valeria,

Please don't provide the above as general info. Giving wrong advice in permit questions may have very serious consequences up to persons losing their work permit and having to leave Switzerland because they did not do the necessary (in time).

The above applies to some B permit extension applications, but is far from being valid for all cases!

Valeria,

Please don't provide the above as general info. Giving wrong advice in permit questions may have very serious consequences up to persons losing their work permit and having to leave Switzerland because they did not do the necessary (in time).

The above applies to some B permit extension applications, but is far from being valid for all cases!

Stephanie D, Apr 28, 2015 @ 19:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

I think you should heed Stephanie’s  advice.

And go, as already suggested, to the OCP and take good note of what they say.  You can always then consult a lawyer if you’re not entirely satisfied.

This is an area where one person’s meat can be another’s poison.

R.

I think you should heed Stephanie’s  advice.

And go, as already suggested, to the OCP and take good note of what they say.  You can always then consult a lawyer if you’re not entirely satisfied.

This is an area where one person’s meat can be another’s poison.

R.

Ritchie, Apr 28, 2015 @ 20:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Liubov D,

In Switzerland, each permit - what so ever - is looked @ individually.

As Nir & Ritchie said, get in touch with a lawyer - and DO FORGET all the tips here. (even if they are being well ment!)

Go and seek help from a lawyer!! Good luck.

Liubov D,

In Switzerland, each permit - what so ever - is looked @ individually.

As Nir & Ritchie said, get in touch with a lawyer - and DO FORGET all the tips here. (even if they are being well ment!)

Go and seek help from a lawyer!! Good luck.

SWISS, Apr 28, 2015 @ 20:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Jan 1, 70 01:00

The problem is that you didn't say "I received a letter in the post from the OCP ... So I didn't have to worry, the renewal process was very simple in my case", but you said "You will receive... so do not worry, the renewal process is very simple".

Two "standard renewals" may require different actions. Your husband may have an unrestricted work permit, so an extension is easy as long as he continues working. Another spouse's partner may be seconded to Switzerland and the original assignment duration may end and the host company may first need to apply for an extension of the work permit - and there is no guarantee for approval - before the couple's B permits can be extended.

And Liubovs specific situation is absolutely different from yours as her husband's permit will not be extended. And if a B permit for employment will not be extended, the B permit for family reunion will also not be extended. So this will not be a simple extension. What it will be exactly (if a extension of stay will at all be possible), will depend on many factors. "Advice" like "no need to worry, lean back, wait and see" may make the difference between finding a possibility to stay and having to leave Switzerland for good.

The problem is that you didn't say "I received a letter in the post from the OCP ... So I didn't have to worry, the renewal process was very simple in my case", but you said "You will receive... so do not worry, the renewal process is very simple".

Two "standard renewals" may require different actions. Your husband may have an unrestricted work permit, so an extension is easy as long as he continues working. Another spouse's partner may be seconded to Switzerland and the original assignment duration may end and the host company may first need to apply for an extension of the work permit - and there is no guarantee for approval - before the couple's B permits can be extended.

And Liubovs specific situation is absolutely different from yours as her husband's permit will not be extended. And if a B permit for employment will not be extended, the B permit for family reunion will also not be extended. So this will not be a simple extension. What it will be exactly (if a extension of stay will at all be possible), will depend on many factors. "Advice" like "no need to worry, lean back, wait and see" may make the difference between finding a possibility to stay and having to leave Switzerland for good.

Stephanie D, Apr 28, 2015 @ 22:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

WoW, everyone here becomes "an expert" Cool on permits.

We, the Swiss have certain rules & regulations, EU or non EU - citizien, etc. 

Your husbands B permit is normally tied to he's job, if he is no longer working, than it it means "bye-bye" Switzerland from a non EU country.

As said before, go and see a lawyer.

WoW, everyone here becomes "an expert" Cool on permits.

We, the Swiss have certain rules & regulations, EU or non EU - citizien, etc. 

Your husbands B permit is normally tied to he's job, if he is no longer working, than it it means "bye-bye" Switzerland from a non EU country.

As said before, go and see a lawyer.

SWISS, Apr 28, 2015 @ 22:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
22 Replies | 1406 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form