Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > penalty for failing to notify ocp of change of address

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
penalty for failing to notify ocp of change of address

Hi guys

I am a student from India studying in Geneva at the moment. When I first came here I applied and received my permit B by using the address of the Geneva Youth Hostel in September and continued to get my mail there from OCP till October. I moved after that but did not notice in the letter of the OCP (which was all in French)  that I had only 14 days to notify them of the change and Ive been temporarily living at different places, I have a residence offer from Cite Universitaire but thats from February 2014. Does anyone know the penalty for delayed notification of address change? 

The text you are quoting:

Hi guys

I am a student from India studying in Geneva at the moment. When I first came here I applied and received my permit B by using the address of the Geneva Youth Hostel in September and continued to get my mail there from OCP till October. I moved after that but did not notice in the letter of the OCP (which was all in French)  that I had only 14 days to notify them of the change and Ive been temporarily living at different places, I have a residence offer from Cite Universitaire but thats from February 2014. Does anyone know the penalty for delayed notification of address change? 

Ananya MitraJan 6, 2014 @ 21:24
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 3295 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: penalty for failing to notify ocp of change of address
Post 1

There is an exception if you do not have a permanent address and you have been living in hostels. I was in the same situation a while back and there is no penalty. Just send a message with the new address and all will be well.

There is an exception if you do not have a permanent address and you have been living in hostels. I was in the same situation a while back and there is no penalty. Just send a message with the new address and all will be well.

Marcy S, Jan 6, 2014 @ 21:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Oh my god that is such a reilef, after youth hostel I was staying at different places. So should I wait till 15 February (thats when my contract with Cite Universitaire starts) and then notify them? How long was the delay for you?

Oh my god that is such a reilef, after youth hostel I was staying at different places. So should I wait till 15 February (thats when my contract with Cite Universitaire starts) and then notify them? How long was the delay for you?

Ananya Mitra, Jan 6, 2014 @ 22:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I 'forgot' for quite a few months to notify GE that I left the canton .. And also to notify VD that I arrived.. 

No fines, no hassle.. Easy ..

I 'forgot' for quite a few months to notify GE that I left the canton .. And also to notify VD that I arrived.. 

No fines, no hassle.. Easy ..

John H, Jan 6, 2014 @ 22:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

haha,, thanks, Im really terrified of my permit getting cancelled, it was a hard enough job getting it in the first place.

haha,, thanks, Im really terrified of my permit getting cancelled, it was a hard enough job getting it in the first place.

Ananya Mitra, Jan 6, 2014 @ 22:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Jan 6, 14 22:53

I wouldn't worry too much .. 

I don't know your situation but for me, I even had "welcome to the commune" letters before I registered.. I guess they knew via the regie that I'd moved in.  I got welcome letters, then some info on local stuff, then some free bin bags because i have children, then an invite to a welcome meeting. And eventually a reminder that I had not registered yet!!

I went to the commune office and they explained that first I had to de-register with GE and surrender my permit.  Then come back and re-register and get a new permit. 

They knew everything without me telling them. 

** surrendering the permit is just to change the address as far as i know, not actually re-applying.

I wouldn't worry too much .. 

I don't know your situation but for me, I even had "welcome to the commune" letters before I registered.. I guess they knew via the regie that I'd moved in.  I got welcome letters, then some info on local stuff, then some free bin bags because i have children, then an invite to a welcome meeting. And eventually a reminder that I had not registered yet!!

I went to the commune office and they explained that first I had to de-register with GE and surrender my permit.  Then come back and re-register and get a new permit. 

They knew everything without me telling them. 

** surrendering the permit is just to change the address as far as i know, not actually re-applying.

John H, Jan 6, 2014 @ 23:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Truly dont worry about this, OCP has no way of knowing your current address. Do it when you have a more permanent one. You can even do this by poste, by the way (just download the right form, pay the amount due at the poste and send the letter with all together). In all cases, this change is more important for you than for them. It's never a good idea to have a hostel as official address....

Truly dont worry about this, OCP has no way of knowing your current address. Do it when you have a more permanent one. You can even do this by poste, by the way (just download the right form, pay the amount due at the poste and send the letter with all together). In all cases, this change is more important for you than for them. It's never a good idea to have a hostel as official address....

wanessa, Jan 7, 2014 @ 21:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Naama L, Feb 17, 2015 @ 13:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hello all,

I am in a similar situation. Does anyone know the process of registering the new address? Does it have to happen in person or can I do it online?

Thanks!

Hello all,

I am in a similar situation. Does anyone know the process of registering the new address? Does it have to happen in person or can I do it online?

Thanks!

Naama L, Feb 17, 2015 @ 13:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hello all,

Thanks!

Feb 17, 15 13:31

Hello Naama, I have sent you a PM.

Hello Naama, I have sent you a PM.

Stephanie D, Feb 17, 2015 @ 20:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

HI Stephanie,

I would also like to know the process for registering new address in the same commune. Could you please send me the info you sent Naama? Thank you :) 

HI Stephanie,

I would also like to know the process for registering new address in the same commune. Could you please send me the info you sent Naama? Thank you :) 

Samita Thapa, Sep 17, 2017 @ 17:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 3295 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form