Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > questions about registration for creche system

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
questions about registration for creche system

Hi all,

My wife and I will be moving to Geneva in mid-August with our baby who will have just turned one year old. Neither of us speak French, so we are finding the BIPE website a bit difficult to navigate with regard to questions that we have about the creche system.

A few questions that we have --

1) could we register with BIPE in advance of our being physically present in Geneva if, for example, we know a temporary address where we will be once we get there? Another complication is that both my wife and I are currently employed, but my new job begins in early September and I will be between the two jobs during the month of August. Would a letter from my future employer be sufficient to address the employment requirements of the creche system (as I understand it, we both need to be employed)?

2) How long does the waiting list for getting into a creche tend to be?

3) Any suggestions about best ways to find alternative child care in the event the creche wait will be a while?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

My wife and I will be moving to Geneva in mid-August with our baby who will have just turned one year old. Neither of us speak French, so we are finding the BIPE website a bit difficult to navigate with regard to questions that we have about the creche system.

A few questions that we have --

1) could we register with BIPE in advance of our being physically present in Geneva if, for example, we know a temporary address where we will be once we get there? Another complication is that both my wife and I are currently employed, but my new job begins in early September and I will be between the two jobs during the month of August. Would a letter from my future employer be sufficient to address the employment requirements of the creche system (as I understand it, we both need to be employed)?

2) How long does the waiting list for getting into a creche tend to be?

3) Any suggestions about best ways to find alternative child care in the event the creche wait will be a while?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Andrew GJun 13, 2018 @ 19:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

1 Replies | 117 Views      |  Send to friend

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Re: questions about registration for creche system
Post 1

hi andy, 

i don't know about 1 but for 2 and 3 here's what i know:

2) waiting lists vary but the average is around 1-2 years. some locals register their kids before the kids are even born ,it's true!

3) there's private day care that costs a lot more than public, but has shorter lists. there's also maman-du-jour which is a lady that's approvated by the state and keeps 3-4 toddlers at her place during the day. there's many maman-du-jour in geneva, just google them up. 

child care is an issue in geneva however, i'm sad to say

The text you are quoting:

hi andy, 

i don't know about 1 but for 2 and 3 here's what i know:

2) waiting lists vary but the average is around 1-2 years. some locals register their kids before the kids are even born ,it's true!

3) there's private day care that costs a lot more than public, but has shorter lists. there's also maman-du-jour which is a lady that's approvated by the state and keeps 3-4 toddlers at her place during the day. there's many maman-du-jour in geneva, just google them up. 

child care is an issue in geneva however, i'm sad to say

Corinne B, Jun 14, 2018 @ 15:50
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin
1 Replies | 117 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form