Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > rent negotiation when applying for lease?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
rent negotiation when applying for lease?

I think I already know the answer, but I'd love to hear from anyone else with experience in this. 

We are looking for an apartment and all that fun that goes with it.  What is the protocol for asking for a reduction in rent at time of putitng in a lease applciation? Or is this "not done" in Switzeraland and does it effectively remove you from the hopefuls list forever? 

I have heard that there is a period at the beginning of a new lease where you can have the rental charges reviewed, but nothing about beforehand.

The text you are quoting:

I think I already know the answer, but I'd love to hear from anyone else with experience in this. 

We are looking for an apartment and all that fun that goes with it.  What is the protocol for asking for a reduction in rent at time of putitng in a lease applciation? Or is this "not done" in Switzeraland and does it effectively remove you from the hopefuls list forever? 

I have heard that there is a period at the beginning of a new lease where you can have the rental charges reviewed, but nothing about beforehand.

bearded09Oct 13, 2016 @ 11:26
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 1587 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: rent negotiation when applying for lease?
Post 1

First catch your hare …

First catch your hare …

Ritchie, Oct 13, 2016 @ 13:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Love your work Ritchie!

Love your work Ritchie!

bearded09, Oct 13, 2016 @ 13:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Once you signed the rental contract and moved in, you can ask for a rent deduction based on the average of the rental prices in the region. I've heard of a few rental deductions happening in Geneva.

ASLOCA, a tenants association in Geneva, will help you to write the letter and provide basic legal advice.

However, negotiating the rent before signing the lease in central Geneva is unheard of. I would not say it's impossible, but it's very unlikely.

Once you signed the rental contract and moved in, you can ask for a rent deduction based on the average of the rental prices in the region. I've heard of a few rental deductions happening in Geneva.

ASLOCA, a tenants association in Geneva, will help you to write the letter and provide basic legal advice.

However, negotiating the rent before signing the lease in central Geneva is unheard of. I would not say it's impossible, but it's very unlikely.

geojusto, Oct 13, 2016 @ 13:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

If you try to negotiate the rent before getting the apartment they'll simply remove you from the list of candidates for sure. After all, why deal with you while there are dozens of people ready to pay the full price?

Instead, if you get chosen for the apartment, first sign the contract and then ask for a reduction (if the rent is excessive). Here's how to do that: http://www.glocals.com/forums/geneva/where-how-in-geneva/Renting-in-Geneva--READ-THIS----206526.htm

If you try to negotiate the rent before getting the apartment they'll simply remove you from the list of candidates for sure. After all, why deal with you while there are dozens of people ready to pay the full price?

Instead, if you get chosen for the apartment, first sign the contract and then ask for a reduction (if the rent is excessive). Here's how to do that: http://www.glocals.com/forums/geneva/where-how-in-geneva/Renting-in-Geneva--READ-THIS----206526.htm

TheOmegaMan, Oct 14, 2016 @ 19:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Oct 14, 16 19:06

Thanks for your reply. If I told you how long I have been looking you might cry. I know I have. Anyway, that is to say that my feeling is that it is too expensive, and unlike others around the same area and description, it has remained on the market for a long time. So, in this case it doesn't seem as if there are dozens of others ready to pay (or maybe the friends of this regie all have great cheap aparmtents already and they need an actual fool ex-pat to sign the lease).

My feeling was hte same as yours, that I would be taken off the list - or worse! put on one: the do not touch with barge pole list. 

I guess we apply and take the risk of paying the listed amount IF accepted.

Grateful thanks!

Thanks for your reply. If I told you how long I have been looking you might cry. I know I have. Anyway, that is to say that my feeling is that it is too expensive, and unlike others around the same area and description, it has remained on the market for a long time. So, in this case it doesn't seem as if there are dozens of others ready to pay (or maybe the friends of this regie all have great cheap aparmtents already and they need an actual fool ex-pat to sign the lease).

My feeling was hte same as yours, that I would be taken off the list - or worse! put on one: the do not touch with barge pole list. 

I guess we apply and take the risk of paying the listed amount IF accepted.

Grateful thanks!

bearded09, Oct 14, 2016 @ 22:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

PS "Some Régies/homeowners/relocators write in the contract a clause specifying that you waive the right of renegotiating the rent.  This clause is invalid (and they know it) so you can wipe your ass with it.  The right of having a fair rent is inalienable (provided that you exercise this right within 30 days)."

thanks for the belly laugh! 

PS "Some Régies/homeowners/relocators write in the contract a clause specifying that you waive the right of renegotiating the rent.  This clause is invalid (and they know it) so you can wipe your ass with it.  The right of having a fair rent is inalienable (provided that you exercise this right within 30 days)."

thanks for the belly laugh! 

bearded09, Oct 14, 2016 @ 22:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

You can actually calculate how much less you could pay (and see if it's worth it):

https://fr.comparis.ch/immobilien/mietzinsreduktion.aspx

You need to find out the percentage the Regie/landlord is basing you rent on and adjust to the ongoing rate (currently 1.75%).

Once you've decided it is worth asking, you need to write to the Regie/landlord by registered mail. They have 30 days to reply. Even if you are entitled to a lower rent, they might not have to implement it right away (end of lease/renewal period).

In case of refusal, you might want to lawyer up or use ASLOCA.

But until you actually get in, I wouldn't even dream of renegociating the rent. No matter the circumstances, they often prefer an empty apartment to a fussy tenant.

You can actually calculate how much less you could pay (and see if it's worth it):

https://fr.comparis.ch/immobilien/mietzinsreduktion.aspx

You need to find out the percentage the Regie/landlord is basing you rent on and adjust to the ongoing rate (currently 1.75%).

Once you've decided it is worth asking, you need to write to the Regie/landlord by registered mail. They have 30 days to reply. Even if you are entitled to a lower rent, they might not have to implement it right away (end of lease/renewal period).

In case of refusal, you might want to lawyer up or use ASLOCA.

But until you actually get in, I wouldn't even dream of renegociating the rent. No matter the circumstances, they often prefer an empty apartment to a fussy tenant.

hay_, Oct 15, 2016 @ 14:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

" they often prefer an empty apartment to a fussy tenant."

I know you are right!!

" they often prefer an empty apartment to a fussy tenant."

I know you are right!!

bearded09, Oct 15, 2016 @ 14:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Did you get the flat in the end or try to negotiate?

It would help to know the value of the property you're speaking about. For houses, a lot is negotiable at the moment, especially those that aren't well renovated.

Upper end flats (6000+) per month are also negotiable before you move in as prices continue to go down.

Mid level flats (3500 to 6000) could be negotiated, depending on quality and demand

2500 to 3500 is less likely

Under 2500 is almost impossible

I'd recommend negotiating an overpriced property before moving in than counting on a rent reduction after signing the lease.

I've advertised on another thread a promotion my company is running for expats just arriving - since you've been searching for a while and seem to know the basics, we'd be happy to offer you help in other areas you might need our expertise (such as representation at the move in inspection) should you win the competition:

After working for a global leader in relocation for the last 6 years, I've opened a full service relocation company focusing on expats arriving in Geneva with no or limited support from their employer.

We've created 'The Basics' package offering:

Assessment phone call
Information on how to effectively search for properties in Geneva/Vaud
Clear explanation on how the market works
Quick orientation through highlighted neighborhoods
2 accompanied visits in targeted neighborhoods
Advice on what to look for, standards of flats, value for money, etc...

All of this for only 250chf. As a promotion, we're offering the first 5 people who mention Glocals a discount of 50 chf off the 250chf.

We're also having a competition giving away 2 'The Basics' packages for free (or equivalent value to our other services, including final cleanings). Anyone who likes our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Geneva-Property-Services-GPS-1750498808550260/ will be entered in the competition - tell your friends/colleagues who are just arriving and we'll be happy to help them!

Geneva Property Services (GPS)

www.genevapropertyservices.ch

Did you get the flat in the end or try to negotiate?

It would help to know the value of the property you're speaking about. For houses, a lot is negotiable at the moment, especially those that aren't well renovated.

Upper end flats (6000+) per month are also negotiable before you move in as prices continue to go down.

Mid level flats (3500 to 6000) could be negotiated, depending on quality and demand

2500 to 3500 is less likely

Under 2500 is almost impossible

I'd recommend negotiating an overpriced property before moving in than counting on a rent reduction after signing the lease.

I've advertised on another thread a promotion my company is running for expats just arriving - since you've been searching for a while and seem to know the basics, we'd be happy to offer you help in other areas you might need our expertise (such as representation at the move in inspection) should you win the competition:

After working for a global leader in relocation for the last 6 years, I've opened a full service relocation company focusing on expats arriving in Geneva with no or limited support from their employer.

We've created 'The Basics' package offering:

Assessment phone call
Information on how to effectively search for properties in Geneva/Vaud
Clear explanation on how the market works
Quick orientation through highlighted neighborhoods
2 accompanied visits in targeted neighborhoods
Advice on what to look for, standards of flats, value for money, etc...

All of this for only 250chf. As a promotion, we're offering the first 5 people who mention Glocals a discount of 50 chf off the 250chf.

We're also having a competition giving away 2 'The Basics' packages for free (or equivalent value to our other services, including final cleanings). Anyone who likes our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Geneva-Property-Services-GPS-1750498808550260/ will be entered in the competition - tell your friends/colleagues who are just arriving and we'll be happy to help them!

Geneva Property Services (GPS)

www.genevapropertyservices.ch

Matt Williams, Nov 15, 2016 @ 21:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

We ended up not making an offere, mainly because everyone told me our dossier would go in the bin, never again to be considered. I had plenty of 'relocation experts' and 'intermediaries' bascially telling me I had to bribe my way into getting an apartment I wanted, since I cannot count owners and regies amongst my copains. Let's face it - all properties available outside the copinage system, are overpriced.

However, the rent was reduced and I put in the dossier straight away. We got the apartment. I have been looking for such a long time that I just wanted the search to be over.

I think I have a pretty good handle on how the market works. The relocation people wanted to charge me for searching for apartments that I have already identified in the open press. After that I would have to pay them money to make sure my dossier 'was accepted'. Other apartments advertised as for rent are impossible to visit and remain empty. THere are 3 in prime areas which I know have been empty for more than 2 years, and for which there are always reasons why you cannot visit them "a ce moment".

Frustrated with rackets.

We ended up not making an offere, mainly because everyone told me our dossier would go in the bin, never again to be considered. I had plenty of 'relocation experts' and 'intermediaries' bascially telling me I had to bribe my way into getting an apartment I wanted, since I cannot count owners and regies amongst my copains. Let's face it - all properties available outside the copinage system, are overpriced.

However, the rent was reduced and I put in the dossier straight away. We got the apartment. I have been looking for such a long time that I just wanted the search to be over.

I think I have a pretty good handle on how the market works. The relocation people wanted to charge me for searching for apartments that I have already identified in the open press. After that I would have to pay them money to make sure my dossier 'was accepted'. Other apartments advertised as for rent are impossible to visit and remain empty. THere are 3 in prime areas which I know have been empty for more than 2 years, and for which there are always reasons why you cannot visit them "a ce moment".

Frustrated with rackets.

bearded09, Nov 16, 2016 @ 11:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 1587 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form