Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > rock climbing?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
rock climbing?
Hi all, couldnt find much about rock climbing on here. Thinking of learning, anyone know if there are schools/lessons to learn rock climbing (cliff stuff, rather than hiking/climbing)

cheers, mike
The text you are quoting:
Hi all, couldnt find much about rock climbing on here. Thinking of learning, anyone know if there are schools/lessons to learn rock climbing (cliff stuff, rather than hiking/climbing)

cheers, mike
tnsquaredSep 3, 2006 @ 21:56
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

19 Replies | 1954 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: rock climbing?
Post 1
You're at one of the world's best places for this mate...(-;

If you want the real thing outdoors, just drive 1 hour and you'll be in Chamonix - the rock climbing capital of Europe. You can hire a private climbing guide, who comes with all the equipment too. They charge around CHF 250 for an hour, for a group of up to 4. So you might do well to get a group of GoL'ers to go together.

Contact the guides here:

http://www.ohm-chamonix.com/fiche.php?id=00&ling=En
Tel : +33(0)4.50.53.22.08
• Fax : +33(0)4.50.53.27.74
• E-mail : [email protected]

You're at one of the world's best places for this mate...(-;

If you want the real thing outdoors, just drive 1 hour and you'll be in Chamonix - the rock climbing capital of Europe. You can hire a private climbing guide, who comes with all the equipment too. They charge around CHF 250 for an hour, for a group of up to 4. So you might do well to get a group of GoL'ers to go together.

Contact the guides here:

http://www.ohm-chamonix.com/fiche.php?id=00&ling=En
Tel : +33(0)4.50.53.22.08
• Fax : +33(0)4.50.53.27.74
• E-mail : [email protected]

Nir Ofek, Sep 4, 2006 @ 11:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
hey, cheers, was thinking of starting with some indoor stuff to learn the basics b4 i venture onto real stuff.

I'll check ur link, thanks nir

hey, cheers, was thinking of starting with some indoor stuff to learn the basics b4 i venture onto real stuff.

I'll check ur link, thanks nir

tnsquared, Sep 4, 2006 @ 11:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
there's a great indoor climbing wall around chamonix too, and they give lessons. I forgot the place's name...will look it up and revert.
there's a great indoor climbing wall around chamonix too, and they give lessons. I forgot the place's name...will look it up and revert.

Nir Ofek, Sep 4, 2006 @ 12:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
And? Did you find it?

Thanks,

Timo
And? Did you find it?

Thanks,

Timo
Timol, Apr 19, 2007 @ 11:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
hi all !

for indoor climbing, you have a very good wall at queue d'arve (in the jonction area), it's closed during august, and the member fee is 220.- (110.- for students) from september to july or 26.-/13.- for a simple entry. i think it's from 15 to 17 meters hight, for beginners and for very good climbers too.

there is another good place for bouldering in vernier, behind the moa club (gotcha paintball few years ago, and laser game now). never been there but friends told me it's good.

for outside climbing, the closest is the salève, sometime a bit crowded and the tracks (ways? don't know how to call it in english) aren't very easy and not very well secured for beginners , but they are some beatifull things to do there. the best place as told by others before, is around chamonix, like les duchères (next to the contamines) which is a real learning cliff.

if some other people are interested, we can try to go sometime to climb, i have the material for 2 (except shoes) and i'm an average climber (6a-6a+), let me know, i'm always looking for poeple to go climbing.

ciao !
pika

hi all !

for indoor climbing, you have a very good wall at queue d'arve (in the jonction area), it's closed during august, and the member fee is 220.- (110.- for students) from september to july or 26.-/13.- for a simple entry. i think it's from 15 to 17 meters hight, for beginners and for very good climbers too.

there is another good place for bouldering in vernier, behind the moa club (gotcha paintball few years ago, and laser game now). never been there but friends told me it's good.

for outside climbing, the closest is the salève, sometime a bit crowded and the tracks (ways? don't know how to call it in english) aren't very easy and not very well secured for beginners , but they are some beatifull things to do there. the best place as told by others before, is around chamonix, like les duchères (next to the contamines) which is a real learning cliff.

if some other people are interested, we can try to go sometime to climb, i have the material for 2 (except shoes) and i'm an average climber (6a-6a+), let me know, i'm always looking for poeple to go climbing.

ciao !
pika
Pika, May 6, 2008 @ 16:30

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
oh ! iforgot to tell you about the "club alpin suisse". an association of mountain lovers, they do alpinisme and climbing, you pay like 100.- per year to be a member and they provide climbing days every weekends almost for free, with guide or student guide. they have a group in carouge and another on in plainpalais i think, the web site :

http://www.sac-cas.ch

oh ! iforgot to tell you about the "club alpin suisse". an association of mountain lovers, they do alpinisme and climbing, you pay like 100.- per year to be a member and they provide climbing days every weekends almost for free, with guide or student guide. they have a group in carouge and another on in plainpalais i think, the web site :

http://www.sac-cas.ch
Pika, May 6, 2008 @ 16:48

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Mike, I did an intro to rock climbing with Roger Fleming (Guide Source is his Glocals psuedo) in Chamonix two weekends ago.  It was excellent and I recommend it.  I too would like to go on, learn more and get some climbing in but like you am a bit confused about where to go next.  I'll do some more lessons with Roger but would like to meet some other beginners too.  I'll let you know what I find out - the alpine club mentioned sounds like a good plan.   

Mike, I did an intro to rock climbing with Roger Fleming (Guide Source is his Glocals psuedo) in Chamonix two weekends ago.  It was excellent and I recommend it.  I too would like to go on, learn more and get some climbing in but like you am a bit confused about where to go next.  I'll do some more lessons with Roger but would like to meet some other beginners too.  I'll let you know what I find out - the alpine club mentioned sounds like a good plan.   
Bella98, May 7, 2008 @ 12:37

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Hi

The alpine club is a must, great people, and they usally do some good climbing/alpine expeditions also.

I have been thinking about a Gol climbing group, not for teaching, but for people that have the basic training. Best way (according to me...) is to go with a course, lots of guides have weekend courses and of course you can also rent a guide for a couple of days (drop an email if you want suggestions).

There are some really good sports routes just 30min-1 hour away from here, and when it gets a bit warmer some really cool multipitch areas opens up...

What do you say, Gol climbing group, also been thinking about a via ferrata group and a mountaineering group. If you havent tried via ferrata yet is fun, a bit more "dangerous" then sport climbing (just 1.5 m of dynamic rope.. and usually a lot of things to hit on the way down... but usually there is no falls) but sometimes totally crazy.

I would also like to some crazy bouldering... and try aided climbing...
Hi

The alpine club is a must, great people, and they usally do some good climbing/alpine expeditions also.

I have been thinking about a Gol climbing group, not for teaching, but for people that have the basic training. Best way (according to me...) is to go with a course, lots of guides have weekend courses and of course you can also rent a guide for a couple of days (drop an email if you want suggestions).

There are some really good sports routes just 30min-1 hour away from here, and when it gets a bit warmer some really cool multipitch areas opens up...

What do you say, Gol climbing group, also been thinking about a via ferrata group and a mountaineering group. If you havent tried via ferrata yet is fun, a bit more "dangerous" then sport climbing (just 1.5 m of dynamic rope.. and usually a lot of things to hit on the way down... but usually there is no falls) but sometimes totally crazy.

I would also like to some crazy bouldering... and try aided climbing...

sandholm, May 7, 2008 @ 12:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

just remembered,

http://www.indoorclimbing.com/switzerland.html

good list with a lot of indoor places,

would anybody be interested going to Kletterzentrum Gaswerk in Zurich, its a huge center...

cheers

just remembered,

http://www.indoorclimbing.com/switzerland.html

good list with a lot of indoor places,

would anybody be interested going to Kletterzentrum Gaswerk in Zurich, its a huge center...

cheers
sandholm, May 7, 2008 @ 12:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

1st... watch this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX1odkEuT4k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRDX6JQyHto

2nd...

Paul....

http://www.whydidthechickencrosstheroad.com/sounds/clucks/chickencoop.wav

;)

via ferrata is totally different from climbing, but if you have some climbing experience its quite safe.. but yes, consider the rope more as a body recovery functionality... not as a "I can red point this route, watch me.... where are the holds???? "

but its fun, but again its the big debate about bolting or not, using mix climbing or not, or use aides or not..

1st... watch this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX1odkEuT4k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRDX6JQyHto

2nd...

Paul....

http://www.whydidthechickencrosstheroad.com/sounds/clucks/chickencoop.wav

;)

via ferrata is totally different from climbing, but if you have some climbing experience its quite safe.. but yes, consider the rope more as a body recovery functionality... not as a "I can red point this route, watch me.... where are the holds???? "

but its fun, but again its the big debate about bolting or not, using mix climbing or not, or use aides or not..

sandholm, May 7, 2008 @ 13:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
[quote]Hi

[/quote]

the alpine club also have courses, forgot to say that, check out

http://www.sac-cas.ch/Kursangebot.461.0.html

cheers
[quote]Hi

[/quote]

the alpine club also have courses, forgot to say that, check out

http://www.sac-cas.ch/Kursangebot.461.0.html

cheers
sandholm, May 7, 2008 @ 13:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
There is a great place to do Rock Climbing in the French alps: @La Source in Samoens..only 1hr from Geneva. They organise both full week retreats in their Eco-lodge as well as week ends! Whether alone or as a group, you will feel part of the family from day one!

These trips are a holistic climbing experience. One of their recent guests wrote, 'This is one of the most incredible experiences of my life so far!' This is their goal. To leave you inspired, refreshed and ready for life’s challenges!

'The best eco-lodge in the Alps', is base camp. Duncan, TV presenter of the BBC's Adventure Show and co-founder of the EICC, Ratho and Saskia, yoga teacher, ex-Outward Bound instructor and adventure filmmaker are your hosts. They invite you to their 'posh commune' to come and spend a week of climbing, hiking, yoga, swimming, hot tubs under the stars, watching art films and listening to music with new friends!

For more info and bookings:

www.sourcealps.com

[email protected]

+33 6 33 34 68 03

+33 9 79 68 41 82

Mention GLOCALS when booking!
There is a great place to do Rock Climbing in the French alps: @La Source in Samoens..only 1hr from Geneva. They organise both full week retreats in their Eco-lodge as well as week ends! Whether alone or as a group, you will feel part of the family from day one!

These trips are a holistic climbing experience. One of their recent guests wrote, 'This is one of the most incredible experiences of my life so far!' This is their goal. To leave you inspired, refreshed and ready for life’s challenges!

'The best eco-lodge in the Alps', is base camp. Duncan, TV presenter of the BBC's Adventure Show and co-founder of the EICC, Ratho and Saskia, yoga teacher, ex-Outward Bound instructor and adventure filmmaker are your hosts. They invite you to their 'posh commune' to come and spend a week of climbing, hiking, yoga, swimming, hot tubs under the stars, watching art films and listening to music with new friends!

For more info and bookings:

www.sourcealps.com

[email protected]

+33 6 33 34 68 03

+33 9 79 68 41 82

Mention GLOCALS when booking!
Kira, Apr 23, 2009 @ 12:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
Hi there,

Just saw the topic "rock climbing" and I am interested about it, I mean that I climb and I have all the necessary tools (rope, harness, etc), so I was wondering if there is anyone who would like to do it.

thanks

Fabrice

Hi there,

Just saw the topic "rock climbing" and I am interested about it, I mean that I climb and I have all the necessary tools (rope, harness, etc), so I was wondering if there is anyone who would like to do it.

thanks

Fabrice
Fabrice74, Apr 23, 2009 @ 13:24

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
There is a great place for Rock Climbing in Samoens, only 1hr from Geneva @ la Source, we organise beginner's as well as advanced outings on week ends and can come pick you up in Geneva:

We have the following dates for week end:

8-10th May

15-17th May

12-14th June

€395 sharing €460 single includes:

2 full days professional climbing coaching and guiding with all gear supplied except shoes

2 nights 5* accommodation at La Source

Healthy organic yogic breakfast x2 and dinner x2 and picnics

2 x 1.5 hours of yoga on Saturday and Sunday

Wood fired hot tub

Transfer leaves Geneva from Gare Cornavin at 6pm on Friday and Returns at 6pm on Sunday

Beginners are welcome!

More info on

Contact Saskia for bookings: [email protected]

and mention Glocals week end!
There is a great place for Rock Climbing in Samoens, only 1hr from Geneva @ la Source, we organise beginner's as well as advanced outings on week ends and can come pick you up in Geneva:

We have the following dates for week end:

8-10th May

15-17th May

12-14th June

€395 sharing €460 single includes:

2 full days professional climbing coaching and guiding with all gear supplied except shoes

2 nights 5* accommodation at La Source

Healthy organic yogic breakfast x2 and dinner x2 and picnics

2 x 1.5 hours of yoga on Saturday and Sunday

Wood fired hot tub

Transfer leaves Geneva from Gare Cornavin at 6pm on Friday and Returns at 6pm on Sunday

Beginners are welcome!

More info on

Contact Saskia for bookings: [email protected]

and mention Glocals week end!
Kira, May 5, 2009 @ 16:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Hi,

the Alpine Club sounds really good but I was wondering what their attitude is towards non-French speakers? Would you say that it is pointless trying to go on any of their trips unless you can speak reasonable French?? (Although I am trying to improve, my French is still fairly hopeless..) I assume that none of the  courses are in English??

Thanks

Kathy

Hi,

the Alpine Club sounds really good but I was wondering what their attitude is towards non-French speakers? Would you say that it is pointless trying to go on any of their trips unless you can speak reasonable French?? (Although I am trying to improve, my French is still fairly hopeless..) I assume that none of the  courses are in English??

Thanks

Kathy
kathyl, May 10, 2009 @ 21:26

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
Mike.

I went out with a couple of guides, but the best instruction around is at Guidesource (www.guidesource.com) in my opinion. I climbed for years (gym and some outdoors) but learned a lot from them I never learned from other instructors. These guys are extremely experienced and worth every centime (I also went mountaineering with them too). Really nice folks who are serious about making you into a safe climber, not just hauling people up routes.

Good luck

Dan

Mike.

I went out with a couple of guides, but the best instruction around is at Guidesource (www.guidesource.com) in my opinion. I climbed for years (gym and some outdoors) but learned a lot from them I never learned from other instructors. These guys are extremely experienced and worth every centime (I also went mountaineering with them too). Really nice folks who are serious about making you into a safe climber, not just hauling people up routes.

Good luck

Dan

DanT, May 11, 2009 @ 16:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17
Tiffany,

The folks at Guidesource (in Chamonix) are great. They are very smart teachers, and made me feel very comfortable and safe. I've been out with them 3 times and, compared to other guides, they are heads above everyone else I have tried over the years. Check them out (www.guidesource.com). They might have classes just for women if you are looking for that.

Cheers,

Dan

Tiffany,

The folks at Guidesource (in Chamonix) are great. They are very smart teachers, and made me feel very comfortable and safe. I've been out with them 3 times and, compared to other guides, they are heads above everyone else I have tried over the years. Check them out (www.guidesource.com). They might have classes just for women if you are looking for that.

Cheers,

Dan

DanT, May 11, 2009 @ 16:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18
Hi Kathy

I climb fairly regularly with the Alpine Club - Carouge, and yes unfortunately pretty much all their trips are in French. You occaisionally have a non-Swiss leader and they are happy to also speak English but they are few and far between.

Otherwise its a very friendly club and they have shown me some fantastic climbing areas I wouldn't have discovered otheriwise. if you can get your French to at least conversational then I would recommend the club wholeheartedly.

Regards

Sam 

Hi Kathy

I climb fairly regularly with the Alpine Club - Carouge, and yes unfortunately pretty much all their trips are in French. You occaisionally have a non-Swiss leader and they are happy to also speak English but they are few and far between.

Otherwise its a very friendly club and they have shown me some fantastic climbing areas I wouldn't have discovered otheriwise. if you can get your French to at least conversational then I would recommend the club wholeheartedly.

Regards

Sam 
SamW, May 13, 2009 @ 16:39

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
19 Replies | 1954 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form