Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > screw broken and stuck in wood

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
screw broken and stuck in wood

Whilst dismantling the head board on a bed to make it lighter to move I noticed that one of the screws had been screwed in in a slanted way by the delivery and assembly men who delivered it.

I tried to unscrew it llike all the others but ufortunately the screw stuck and broke, leaving maybe (?)up to half of the screw embedded in the wood.

I am going to try to go to various do-it-yourself shops over the next week to see  how it may be posible to tackle this situation but am seeking advice here too.

In case of need, would there be anyone who may be able to remove it for me if I don't find  another suitable solution? I would be able to bring the piece of wood to you.

i think it is too late to complain to the shop about this, having had the bed for maybe 7 years now.

The text you are quoting:

Whilst dismantling the head board on a bed to make it lighter to move I noticed that one of the screws had been screwed in in a slanted way by the delivery and assembly men who delivered it.

I tried to unscrew it llike all the others but ufortunately the screw stuck and broke, leaving maybe (?)up to half of the screw embedded in the wood.

I am going to try to go to various do-it-yourself shops over the next week to see  how it may be posible to tackle this situation but am seeking advice here too.

In case of need, would there be anyone who may be able to remove it for me if I don't find  another suitable solution? I would be able to bring the piece of wood to you.

i think it is too late to complain to the shop about this, having had the bed for maybe 7 years now.

TogJayJan 10, 2018 @ 10:22
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1282 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: screw broken and stuck in wood
Post 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJKHBebKOlQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJKHBebKOlQ

V N, Jan 10, 2018 @ 11:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I might be able to help you.  Could you send a clear photo of the area where the screw is broken.  Then I can tell you if I have the tools to remove the screw. BTW, I live over the border in France near Divonne.

I might be able to help you.  Could you send a clear photo of the area where the screw is broken.  Then I can tell you if I have the tools to remove the screw. BTW, I live over the border in France near Divonne.

john m, Jan 10, 2018 @ 14:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Thanks for your replies.
 Been sick, unable to  visit.
Also technical problem with taking a photos  to show the situation, now hope has posted ok 
I hope to visit a few DIYplaces over the next week  maybe thez can suggest wha ot do and how.Z 

Thanks for your replies.
 Been sick, unable to  visit.
Also technical problem with taking a photos  to show the situation, now hope has posted ok 
I hope to visit a few DIYplaces over the next week  maybe thez can suggest wha ot do and how.Z 
TogJay, Feb 1, 2018 @ 17:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

rabove is broken off srew same photo duplicated by error

below os the screw in postion stuck in the wood

rabove is broken off srew same photo duplicated by error

below os the screw in postion stuck in the wood

TogJay, Feb 1, 2018 @ 18:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Hi,

It looks like there are two screws that have broken off.  Is that right?

Is any of the metal of the screws sticking above the wood?

Regards,
John.

Hi,

It looks like there are two screws that have broken off.  Is that right?

Is any of the metal of the screws sticking above the wood?

Regards,
John.

john m, Feb 2, 2018 @ 15:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Is the piece of wood transportable?  I live out in France in the direction of Gex if you wanted to bring it over.

Is the piece of wood transportable?  I live out in France in the direction of Gex if you wanted to bring it over.

john m, Feb 2, 2018 @ 15:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

No there is just one screw broken. The top picture shows it from above from a bit of an angle. Thw lower oner is more over the top of it, looking down.

Yes the wood is transporabe, it's like a short plank, just under 3cms thick and 20cms wide, 147.5cms long, part of the headboard.

It's very kind of you, to offer!  I’lIl PM you

No there is just one screw broken. The top picture shows it from above from a bit of an angle. Thw lower oner is more over the top of it, looking down.

Yes the wood is transporabe, it's like a short plank, just under 3cms thick and 20cms wide, 147.5cms long, part of the headboard.

It's very kind of you, to offer!  I’lIl PM you

TogJay, Feb 2, 2018 @ 17:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi, The most likely solution is to drill a larger hole around the screw, remove and then replug the larger hole. Once you re-stain back to the original colour it should be a discrete repair. If you don't find a solution with John M you are welcome to bring it to my workshop in Vernier (address below) and I can take a look.

Sam

Woodhouse Carpentry
Custom furniture making - fitted cabinets & bookcases - interior & exterior woodwork

Telephone 079 763 58 97

Workshop address: Route du Nant D'Avril 51, 1214 Vernier

Examples of our work on our website: www.wood-house.ch

Client feedback on our Glocals business listing: http://www.glocals.com/guides/biz/Woodhouse-Carpentry/

Follow us on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/WoodhouseCarpentry

Hi, The most likely solution is to drill a larger hole around the screw, remove and then replug the larger hole. Once you re-stain back to the original colour it should be a discrete repair. If you don't find a solution with John M you are welcome to bring it to my workshop in Vernier (address below) and I can take a look.

Sam

Woodhouse Carpentry
Custom furniture making - fitted cabinets & bookcases - interior & exterior woodwork

Telephone 079 763 58 97

Workshop address: Route du Nant D'Avril 51, 1214 Vernier

Examples of our work on our website: www.wood-house.ch

Client feedback on our Glocals business listing: http://www.glocals.com/guides/biz/Woodhouse-Carpentry/

Follow us on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/WoodhouseCarpentry

SamW, Feb 3, 2018 @ 11:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

If enough of the screw is sticking out, I first try to fix the screw in the jaw of a drill/electrix screwdriver. Then very slowly put the drill in reverse, to unscrew it. No other tools, just fix the screw itself in the drill, but it doesn't work with all drills.

If not, it depends on your priorities. If you don't mind part of the screw remaining in the wood, the easiest is to remove the protruding bit with an angle grinder, or one of these new multi-use cutters. But it's difficult not to make scratches in the wood, so again, depends on whether that matters for you.

If enough of the screw is sticking out, I first try to fix the screw in the jaw of a drill/electrix screwdriver. Then very slowly put the drill in reverse, to unscrew it. No other tools, just fix the screw itself in the drill, but it doesn't work with all drills.

If not, it depends on your priorities. If you don't mind part of the screw remaining in the wood, the easiest is to remove the protruding bit with an angle grinder, or one of these new multi-use cutters. But it's difficult not to make scratches in the wood, so again, depends on whether that matters for you.

tawb, Feb 3, 2018 @ 12:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1282 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form