Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > state health insurance for EU nationals in France

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
state health insurance for EU nationals in France

Hello, 

Does anyone know whether an EU national who lives in France (working in an international organization so don't pay towards securité sociale) is eligible for the French state health coverage? 

I used to have the EHIC card but the UK has said that since I don't live there anymore I need to apply through France. 

Or is private health insurance the only choice?

Thank you

The text you are quoting:

Hello, 

Does anyone know whether an EU national who lives in France (working in an international organization so don't pay towards securité sociale) is eligible for the French state health coverage? 

I used to have the EHIC card but the UK has said that since I don't live there anymore I need to apply through France. 

Or is private health insurance the only choice?

Thank you

Jiayi HJul 9, 2017 @ 19:52
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1284 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: state health insurance for EU nationals in France
Post 1

Since recently there is a special health cover for "frontaliers" residing in France and working in Switzerland:

https://www.ameli.fr/assure/droits-demarches/europe-international/travailleur-frontalier-suisse

If you reside in France you will need to fill a French tax return each year and your contribution towards the health cover for a particular year will be calculated based on your revenue from the previous year.

The private health insurance in France for frontaliers used to be more expensive than the current state system.

Good luck!

Since recently there is a special health cover for "frontaliers" residing in France and working in Switzerland:

https://www.ameli.fr/assure/droits-demarches/europe-international/travailleur-frontalier-suisse

If you reside in France you will need to fill a French tax return each year and your contribution towards the health cover for a particular year will be calculated based on your revenue from the previous year.

The private health insurance in France for frontaliers used to be more expensive than the current state system.

Good luck!

Slava Sviridovs, Jul 10, 2017 @ 10:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hello,

You have one option in Switzerland left with one insurer if you'd like to go on the Swiss health insurance, otherwise you will be on on the SECU in France. In any case if you are new to the area you have 3 moths to decide. It really depends on your salary what is the best option for you. Don't hesitate to PM me for all the details as I work in insurance and we deal with a lot of frontalier. Things changed a lot at the start of the year but you still have options.

Have a great day!

Hello,

You have one option in Switzerland left with one insurer if you'd like to go on the Swiss health insurance, otherwise you will be on on the SECU in France. In any case if you are new to the area you have 3 moths to decide. It really depends on your salary what is the best option for you. Don't hesitate to PM me for all the details as I work in insurance and we deal with a lot of frontalier. Things changed a lot at the start of the year but you still have options.

Have a great day!

George Buchan, Jul 10, 2017 @ 10:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

... 3 months, not moths, lol

... 3 months, not moths, lol

George Buchan, Jul 10, 2017 @ 10:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

So I can decide to pay the cotisation in France or go private in Switzerland? Do you happen to know what percentage the French cotisation is? Thank you!

So I can decide to pay the cotisation in France or go private in Switzerland? Do you happen to know what percentage the French cotisation is? Thank you!

Jiayi H, Jul 11, 2017 @ 11:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Yes in France its 8% of your annual salary... I'll message you just now :-)

Yes in France its 8% of your annual salary... I'll message you just now :-)

George Buchan, Jul 11, 2017 @ 11:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I just recently moved back from Mali and wonder about health insurance for an EU citizen based in France, currently unemployed but seeking work in Switzerland? 

Thanks for your feedback!

I just recently moved back from Mali and wonder about health insurance for an EU citizen based in France, currently unemployed but seeking work in Switzerland? 

Thanks for your feedback!

JanisC, Jul 25, 2017 @ 13:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

As far as our own case is concerned, if one has paid in for the designated length of time into the EU state health system [in our case it was 15 years in Belgium, despite that we are both British citizens] then after a certain time, one qualifies under the CPAM state health system in France.

At the moment, we pay our GP 25.00 of which we receive 17.00 back from the state. This prevents malingering. For operations and really serious illnesses, there is ALD which is for lengthy maladies [cancer, heart disease etc.] which is then free and valid for 4 years.

We have found the system to be absolutely excellent. Have both necessarily unfortunately had to be in hospital[s] but the care and treatment is first class and not expensive after the refunds.

If you need more information, feel free to contact us as we have been resident in France for over 10 years now.

As far as our own case is concerned, if one has paid in for the designated length of time into the EU state health system [in our case it was 15 years in Belgium, despite that we are both British citizens] then after a certain time, one qualifies under the CPAM state health system in France.

At the moment, we pay our GP 25.00 of which we receive 17.00 back from the state. This prevents malingering. For operations and really serious illnesses, there is ALD which is for lengthy maladies [cancer, heart disease etc.] which is then free and valid for 4 years.

We have found the system to be absolutely excellent. Have both necessarily unfortunately had to be in hospital[s] but the care and treatment is first class and not expensive after the refunds.

If you need more information, feel free to contact us as we have been resident in France for over 10 years now.

sheila c, Jul 25, 2017 @ 13:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

For getting onto the Swiss system you'll have to get work in Switzerland first, but if your principle residence is is in France, for the moment you will have to get directly onto the social insurance there and to do that you will probably have to register as unemployed... hope that helps!

For getting onto the Swiss system you'll have to get work in Switzerland first, but if your principle residence is is in France, for the moment you will have to get directly onto the social insurance there and to do that you will probably have to register as unemployed... hope that helps!

George Buchan, Jul 25, 2017 @ 14:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I've never paid into any EU state insurance - I previously worked in the US and Switzerland so it's a bit of a conundrum. I think I might have to go with what George B just replied.

Thanks a lot though!

I've never paid into any EU state insurance - I previously worked in the US and Switzerland so it's a bit of a conundrum. I think I might have to go with what George B just replied.

Thanks a lot though!

JanisC, Jul 27, 2017 @ 10:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1284 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form