Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > what counts as first offense in speeding tickets?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
what counts as first offense in speeding tickets?

I am somewhat freaking out right now.

I recieved a letter with 3 instances within a week. Are these counted as one offense? or three separate repeated offense?

Looking at previous threads it looks like if these counts as repeated offenses I would be in a very difficult situation.... Does anyone have experience with this?

I thought I was having a good day today and now I am realizing I seriously made bad mistakes....... :( I am never speeding anymore.

The text you are quoting:

I am somewhat freaking out right now.

I recieved a letter with 3 instances within a week. Are these counted as one offense? or three separate repeated offense?

Looking at previous threads it looks like if these counts as repeated offenses I would be in a very difficult situation.... Does anyone have experience with this?

I thought I was having a good day today and now I am realizing I seriously made bad mistakes....... :( I am never speeding anymore.

Philip CJan 27, 2016 @ 01:24
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 1219 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: what counts as first offense in speeding tickets?
Post 1

As far as I know you have 30 days to pay for every ticket and you will be scott free. If you don't pay or pay after those 30 days then they will open a file and you will be in trouble.

I suggest to pay for the tickets as soon as you can, keep the receipt, don't speed again and you'll will be fine.

or ask to any cop, they will give you a serious speech but at least you will have a clear idea about the issue.

Good luck.

As far as I know you have 30 days to pay for every ticket and you will be scott free. If you don't pay or pay after those 30 days then they will open a file and you will be in trouble.

I suggest to pay for the tickets as soon as you can, keep the receipt, don't speed again and you'll will be fine.

or ask to any cop, they will give you a serious speech but at least you will have a clear idea about the issue.

Good luck.

Jacobo A, Jan 27, 2016 @ 11:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks for the info!

I am afraid I am in a more seriuous situation than simple ticket as they are +25/+27/+28 in 50kph. (I don't mean to rationalize or defend the mistakes I made, but I seriously thought it was 60 kph zone..)

So I think they are collecting my infos. At least that's what I can make out of the letters with the help of google translate.

Do you know any more info on this kind of situation?

Thanks for the info!

I am afraid I am in a more seriuous situation than simple ticket as they are +25/+27/+28 in 50kph. (I don't mean to rationalize or defend the mistakes I made, but I seriously thought it was 60 kph zone..)

So I think they are collecting my infos. At least that's what I can make out of the letters with the help of google translate.

Do you know any more info on this kind of situation?

Philip C, Jan 27, 2016 @ 11:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

There should be dates on the tickets.  Additionally you should have been a blinding flash each time (not necessarily always the case).  I assume you have been caught three timesat the same speed trap.  Your only defence might be that the speed limit sign was not there or is oinvisible.  But the fact that it was dark, raining or whatever is not a valid excuse.   The previous posting advising that you will have no record if you pay up in time is correct

There should be dates on the tickets.  Additionally you should have been a blinding flash each time (not necessarily always the case).  I assume you have been caught three timesat the same speed trap.  Your only defence might be that the speed limit sign was not there or is oinvisible.  But the fact that it was dark, raining or whatever is not a valid excuse.   The previous posting advising that you will have no record if you pay up in time is correct

Paul E, Jan 27, 2016 @ 14:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Phillip, start by paying the tickets right away. It sounds like after 3 consecutive infractions it is tough for you to contest them, which is always a recourse.

You can get some information here:

http://www.ge.ch/police/contraventions/ao/

but if it sounds like your best approach would be to go in person to pay them, ask them questions, and, unless you have many more previous violations and they just finally found you, try to explain the circumstances. If you have been here for some time, and this is the first time you have broken the speed limit, offer an explanation. The fact that this is the first time even though you have been here for a while, might help. If you are new here (which it sounds like you are not) explain you are not familiar with the place, just learning the regulations, including speed limits, etc. You will still have to pay them, but at the very least, if you explain, they may act sympathetically and offer you more information and suggestions.

If there are consequences beyond paying the fines, they will let you know and you can ask what you can do to ameliorate them.

In essence, go to the source.

Phillip, start by paying the tickets right away. It sounds like after 3 consecutive infractions it is tough for you to contest them, which is always a recourse.

You can get some information here:

http://www.ge.ch/police/contraventions/ao/

but if it sounds like your best approach would be to go in person to pay them, ask them questions, and, unless you have many more previous violations and they just finally found you, try to explain the circumstances. If you have been here for some time, and this is the first time you have broken the speed limit, offer an explanation. The fact that this is the first time even though you have been here for a while, might help. If you are new here (which it sounds like you are not) explain you are not familiar with the place, just learning the regulations, including speed limits, etc. You will still have to pay them, but at the very least, if you explain, they may act sympathetically and offer you more information and suggestions.

If there are consequences beyond paying the fines, they will let you know and you can ask what you can do to ameliorate them.

In essence, go to the source.

JR M, Jan 27, 2016 @ 14:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Call them. They are quite nice on the phone, espeically if you try to speak to them in French. They do speak English, i think, but try some French anyway. They will collect all of your info, you may even have to go to the police station to chat with an officer. 

I was in a similar situation, where i was flashed a few times in the same place within a few weeks. I was fined separately for each offence, according to their standard scale and using my salary info. If your offences are serious enough to warrant a ban, as mine were, they have a little more flexibility. Eg x kmph above limit in x zone = 1-3 month ban. I had two serious offences, but was banned for just one month in total. I responded to all of their correspondance in writing and made several phone calls. Still a very expensive and inconvenient lesson was learned.

Good luck, and slow down. 

Call them. They are quite nice on the phone, espeically if you try to speak to them in French. They do speak English, i think, but try some French anyway. They will collect all of your info, you may even have to go to the police station to chat with an officer. 

I was in a similar situation, where i was flashed a few times in the same place within a few weeks. I was fined separately for each offence, according to their standard scale and using my salary info. If your offences are serious enough to warrant a ban, as mine were, they have a little more flexibility. Eg x kmph above limit in x zone = 1-3 month ban. I had two serious offences, but was banned for just one month in total. I responded to all of their correspondance in writing and made several phone calls. Still a very expensive and inconvenient lesson was learned.

Good luck, and slow down. 

Amy Soska, Jan 27, 2016 @ 19:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

https://www.ch.ch/en/driving-over-speed-limit/

You will forget about your driving license for at least 3 months, fine will be % of annual salary. Road regulations are very strict since the introduction of "Via Secura" in CH...

Btw, going 80 km/h in 50 km/h zone is crazy. I hope that none of our kids will cross the road when you drive.

You will forget about your driving license for at least 3 months, fine will be % of annual salary. Road regulations are very strict since the introduction of "Via Secura" in CH...

Btw, going 80 km/h in 50 km/h zone is crazy. I hope that none of our kids will cross the road when you drive.

Kirill_GE, Jan 28, 2016 @ 12:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Jan 28, 16 12:33

Thanks for the info. Looks like I won't be driving for a while.. 

I didn't know it was 50, in fact, and always thought the road was 60 since the same road has signs all over the place that says "60" on it. Not even entirely sure where the "50" sign post is, though this is not my usual driving spot, so I haven't had a chance to go back and check.

At any case, whatever my reasons were, I did go over the speed limit and I cannot change that... 

Thanks for the info. Looks like I won't be driving for a while.. 

I didn't know it was 50, in fact, and always thought the road was 60 since the same road has signs all over the place that says "60" on it. Not even entirely sure where the "50" sign post is, though this is not my usual driving spot, so I haven't had a chance to go back and check.

At any case, whatever my reasons were, I did go over the speed limit and I cannot change that... 

Philip C, Jan 28, 2016 @ 12:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Np. But for your defense, maybe go and check the speed limit. If it is 60, it will make a huge difference.

Np. But for your defense, maybe go and check the speed limit. If it is 60, it will make a huge difference.

Kirill_GE, Jan 28, 2016 @ 12:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

If there systme catched taht you had 3 in a row, your fines could be multiplied, so if you got simple fines, just pay them right away, if not, the first is like CHF 10 per kilometer above limit, then if they see the other 2 in the systme, its goes like to CHF 20 per kilometer, the third if in same day, you might be called to judge. and then you pay alot for the apperance, admin fees, and any fine determined by a judge. I glad im not in your shoes.

If there systme catched taht you had 3 in a row, your fines could be multiplied, so if you got simple fines, just pay them right away, if not, the first is like CHF 10 per kilometer above limit, then if they see the other 2 in the systme, its goes like to CHF 20 per kilometer, the third if in same day, you might be called to judge. and then you pay alot for the apperance, admin fees, and any fine determined by a judge. I glad im not in your shoes.

Dave G, Jan 29, 2016 @ 01:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

with the introduction of the new laws a couple of years ago ...Fines for speeding  20kmph over the speed limit are decided by the judge, who will calculate a fine based upon a percentage of your GROSS pre tax ANNUAL salary. 

If you were caught on 3 different days its 3 infractions and youll be considered a serial speeder.

Without scaremongering you will definitely loose your license for 3 to 6 months, and will recieve either one or maybe 3 fines based upon something like 10 to 20% of salary.

You may also have to do a road course again.

Once you get your license back you will be on probation for a year, during which time "any" traffic infraction could and probably would result in immediate loss of license and further fines or prison.

If you have a US or UK or foreign drivers license ... call them now and tell them you have lost it/stolen etc.... BEFORE the court imposed ban and need a replacement. At least you will be able to drive abroad with the spare. Dont use it in Switzerland... that would be a felony and jailable offence.

If you have a swiss one and no foreign license... its just gone....

There are certain places that mobile hidden cameras are set up by police... such as the entry to Coppet... end of the motorway enetering Geneva... various routes out of Geneva and towns like Nyon, in addition to the fixed cameras.

Speeding here is not worth it... if youre busted you'll just find out the hard way.

Drink driving... thats now automatically a jailable offence, loss of license, addition courses and blood tests for a year or two. Just FYI

with the introduction of the new laws a couple of years ago ...Fines for speeding  20kmph over the speed limit are decided by the judge, who will calculate a fine based upon a percentage of your GROSS pre tax ANNUAL salary. 

If you were caught on 3 different days its 3 infractions and youll be considered a serial speeder.

Without scaremongering you will definitely loose your license for 3 to 6 months, and will recieve either one or maybe 3 fines based upon something like 10 to 20% of salary.

You may also have to do a road course again.

Once you get your license back you will be on probation for a year, during which time "any" traffic infraction could and probably would result in immediate loss of license and further fines or prison.

If you have a US or UK or foreign drivers license ... call them now and tell them you have lost it/stolen etc.... BEFORE the court imposed ban and need a replacement. At least you will be able to drive abroad with the spare. Dont use it in Switzerland... that would be a felony and jailable offence.

If you have a swiss one and no foreign license... its just gone....

There are certain places that mobile hidden cameras are set up by police... such as the entry to Coppet... end of the motorway enetering Geneva... various routes out of Geneva and towns like Nyon, in addition to the fixed cameras.

Speeding here is not worth it... if youre busted you'll just find out the hard way.

Drink driving... thats now automatically a jailable offence, loss of license, addition courses and blood tests for a year or two. Just FYI

Charlie, Jan 29, 2016 @ 11:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 1219 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form