Login or Sign Up

Forums in Lausanne > Lausanne > The Moroccan

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
The Moroccan

I read the 20 minutes on Friday. On the front page was a story about a guy who owed 24,000 francs in rent to his landlord. Instead of paying he pretended that he had been hired by the mafia to kill the landlord.

The landlord reported it to the police and the guy is currently serving time.

What interested me was the reporter Christian Humbert, wrote 5 times that the guy was Moroccan (deliquent marocain, ami du morcain, le morcain).

I think there's an argument to be made for not mentioning his nationality at all but accept that it can add a bit of texture to the story, however I wonder whether five times is necessary.

Interestingly, on page two of the same paper was a story of a sexual psychopath who imprisoned and sexually assaulted his girlfriend over an extended period. The judge ruled that he was incurable and he has been commited.....no mention of his nationality.

The text you are quoting:

I read the 20 minutes on Friday. On the front page was a story about a guy who owed 24,000 francs in rent to his landlord. Instead of paying he pretended that he had been hired by the mafia to kill the landlord.

The landlord reported it to the police and the guy is currently serving time.

What interested me was the reporter Christian Humbert, wrote 5 times that the guy was Moroccan (deliquent marocain, ami du morcain, le morcain).

I think there's an argument to be made for not mentioning his nationality at all but accept that it can add a bit of texture to the story, however I wonder whether five times is necessary.

Interestingly, on page two of the same paper was a story of a sexual psychopath who imprisoned and sexually assaulted his girlfriend over an extended period. The judge ruled that he was incurable and he has been commited.....no mention of his nationality.

Max BFeb 1, 2016 @ 09:41
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1471 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: The Moroccan
Post 1

Bonjour,
Je fais la promotion pour 1066 festival auprès de tous les égyptiens, orient-lovers et musicophiles. Premier concert de Cairokee en suisse - au 1066 festival d'Epalinges le 30 Septembre 2016. Au programme également Omar Suleiman, Yemen Blues et Dj Annaba.
Billets en vente sur starticket.ch, 44.- en péloc, 49.- sur place, dépêchez-vous de réserver!
Merci de faire passer autour de vous!
Hi!
I am promoting 1066 festival towards egyptians, orient and music lovers. Cairokee's first performance in Switzerland at 1066 Festival in Epalinges on 30th september 2016. Also playing the same night, Omar Suleiman, Yemen Blues and Dj Annaba.
Tickets sale on starticket.ch, 44.- advance booking and 49.- at entrance, hurry to book yours !
Pass it on around you ! https://www.facebook.com/events/1746918645525378/

Bonjour,
Je fais la promotion pour 1066 festival auprès de tous les égyptiens, orient-lovers et musicophiles. Premier concert de Cairokee en suisse - au 1066 festival d'Epalinges le 30 Septembre 2016. Au programme également Omar Suleiman, Yemen Blues et Dj Annaba.
Billets en vente sur starticket.ch, 44.- en péloc, 49.- sur place, dépêchez-vous de réserver!
Merci de faire passer autour de vous!
Hi!
I am promoting 1066 festival towards egyptians, orient and music lovers. Cairokee's first performance in Switzerland at 1066 Festival in Epalinges on 30th september 2016. Also playing the same night, Omar Suleiman, Yemen Blues and Dj Annaba.
Tickets sale on starticket.ch, 44.- advance booking and 49.- at entrance, hurry to book yours !
Pass it on around you ! https://www.facebook.com/events/1746918645525378/

rachel kamal, Sep 14, 2016 @ 17:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

This is very common.For some reason,the nationality of criminals is always important in news reporting....if they are not Swiss.When I was robbed once at the station,one of the first questions the police asked me was " Were they Swiss?" - as if they had showed me their passports first! Very strange.

This is very common.For some reason,the nationality of criminals is always important in news reporting....if they are not Swiss.When I was robbed once at the station,one of the first questions the police asked me was " Were they Swiss?" - as if they had showed me their passports first! Very strange.

buzzcocks, Dec 5, 2016 @ 20:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

buzzcocks, Dec 5, 2016 @ 20:16
Your Reply: