Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
3D vs 2D Films

I saw Star Trek into Darkness the other day (very good film btw and well worth seeing) and while I was watching it was thinking did the fact it was shown in 3D really add that much to the overall experience? To be honest, sometimes the 3D effects become distracting and seem to have been placed there just to showcase the technology.

I also had the same impression when I saw The Hobbit, first in VF in 3D and then  in VO in 2D. I have to say the 2D version was, in my subjective opinion, much better. I was just wondering if it was just me who thought this and I'm now massively showing my age! Laughing

The text you are quoting:

I saw Star Trek into Darkness the other day (very good film btw and well worth seeing) and while I was watching it was thinking did the fact it was shown in 3D really add that much to the overall experience? To be honest, sometimes the 3D effects become distracting and seem to have been placed there just to showcase the technology.

I also had the same impression when I saw The Hobbit, first in VF in 3D and then  in VO in 2D. I have to say the 2D version was, in my subjective opinion, much better. I was just wondering if it was just me who thought this and I'm now massively showing my age! Laughing

RichJun 15, 2013 @ 14:20
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

16 Replies | 1897 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: 3D vs 2D Films
Post 1

I've never liked 3D because wearing 2 glasses at the same time is really uncomfortable. But I also think that 3D is just a gimmick; as you say it's distracting and doesn't add anything to the movie. It worked for movies like Avatar because it was new, but this effect has worn off.

I never pay the premium to go to 3D movies; in fact I'd probably pay extra to avoid them.

I've never liked 3D because wearing 2 glasses at the same time is really uncomfortable. But I also think that 3D is just a gimmick; as you say it's distracting and doesn't add anything to the movie. It worked for movies like Avatar because it was new, but this effect has worn off.

I never pay the premium to go to 3D movies; in fact I'd probably pay extra to avoid them.

Edward B, Jun 15, 2013 @ 14:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Jun 15, 13 14:38

Thanks Edward. If possible I try to remember to wear my daily contact lenses if I'm seeing a 3D film as I agree it's a pain it is to wear 3D ones over your own glasses! However, it's not always possible to have them if you choose to see something at the last minute so I'm left wearing 2 pair of glasses at the same time, which is never a good look! Cool

I'm glad you mentioned Avatar as from all accounts that was the one film I really wished I'd seen in 3D but apart from that, there are no others that come to mind.

Thanks Edward. If possible I try to remember to wear my daily contact lenses if I'm seeing a 3D film as I agree it's a pain it is to wear 3D ones over your own glasses! However, it's not always possible to have them if you choose to see something at the last minute so I'm left wearing 2 pair of glasses at the same time, which is never a good look! Cool

I'm glad you mentioned Avatar as from all accounts that was the one film I really wished I'd seen in 3D but apart from that, there are no others that come to mind.

Rich, Jun 15, 2013 @ 15:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Wearing glasses too, seeing movies in 3D is also a problem for me. I've seen only two films, Avatar, which was really well done and one of the Ice Age, which was really bad.

I guess some people do 3D movies because it's fun, but they don't know how it's really work. it's a very difficult art.

Wearing glasses too, seeing movies in 3D is also a problem for me. I've seen only two films, Avatar, which was really well done and one of the Ice Age, which was really bad.

I guess some people do 3D movies because it's fun, but they don't know how it's really work. it's a very difficult art.

bertrand hubert r, Jun 15, 2013 @ 17:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I'm with Edward 100%. 2D is better than the 3D gimmick. 

I'm with Edward 100%. 2D is better than the 3D gimmick. 

Nir Ofek, Jun 15, 2013 @ 18:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hello

I've never watched a 3D movie but I have a silly question!!

What's a 2D movie? 

Thanks

Hello

What's a 2D movie? 

Thanks

Nicole R, Jun 15, 2013 @ 19:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Apparently a lot of 3D movies are actually filmed in 2D and then "retro-fitted". The only 3D movies where it seemed to work well that I have seen were filmed in 3D using new special cameras (Avatar and Prometheus) - even then I am dubious about how much it really adds.

Apparently a lot of 3D movies are actually filmed in 2D and then "retro-fitted". The only 3D movies where it seemed to work well that I have seen were filmed in 3D using new special cameras (Avatar and Prometheus) - even then I am dubious about how much it really adds.

Mark H, Jun 15, 2013 @ 19:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hello

What's a 2D movie? 

Thanks

Jun 15, 13 19:03

2D means it looks flat - if you watch for example Prometheus in 3D it really looks like you could walk into the screen and wander around i.e. the picture has depth that you don't see in a 2D movie.

2D means it looks flat - if you watch for example Prometheus in 3D it really looks like you could walk into the screen and wander around i.e. the picture has depth that you don't see in a 2D movie.

Mark H, Jun 15, 2013 @ 19:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Really thanks Mark 

As I'm a lady It's not my cup of tea lol Laughing !!!

Really thanks Mark 

As I'm a lady It's not my cup of tea lol Laughing !!!

Nicole R, Jun 15, 2013 @ 19:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hello

What's a 2D movie? 

Thanks

Jun 15, 13 19:03

Nicole: 2D is a regular movie. The 2D relates to "2 Dimensions".

Nicole: 2D is a regular movie. The 2D relates to "2 Dimensions".

Nir Ofek, Jun 15, 2013 @ 19:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I watch a lot of films and prefer 2D I find it less of a strain on the eyes and tend to follow the film better. Sometimes I wish they would slow the action scenes. 

I watch a lot of films and prefer 2D I find it less of a strain on the eyes and tend to follow the film better. Sometimes I wish they would slow the action scenes. 

Beck C, Jun 15, 2013 @ 19:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Personnally I find 3d more interesting on pictures (it's called Stereoscopy) than in movies.

Personnally I find 3d more interesting on pictures (it's called Stereoscopy) than in movies.

bertrand hubert r, Jun 15, 2013 @ 20:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I had watched Avatar and Hobbit in 3D. Avatar was good to see in 3D but hobbit experience was not so good. And i have watched Avengers in 2D and that was still good so i have came to the conclusion that 3D is good for 1 out of 10 movies but 2D is better for 7out of 10 movies.

I had watched Avatar and Hobbit in 3D. Avatar was good to see in 3D but hobbit experience was not so good. And i have watched Avengers in 2D and that was still good so i have came to the conclusion that 3D is good for 1 out of 10 movies but 2D is better for 7out of 10 movies.

hassel lee, Jun 17, 2013 @ 08:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

3D is just a ploy to help prevent pirating -tbh 3D is cool fo the first 2 or 3 minutes then it quickly pales

3D is just a ploy to help prevent pirating -tbh 3D is cool fo the first 2 or 3 minutes then it quickly pales

parker k, Jun 21, 2013 @ 16:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I saw "Man of Steel" in 2D version. And at the same time my friends saw it in 3D version. They have told me that it was not so speical in 3D. They have to put down their glasses so many time for specific scenes. So i guess some movies are good to watch in 2D version.

I saw "Man of Steel" in 2D version. And at the same time my friends saw it in 3D version. They have told me that it was not so speical in 3D. They have to put down their glasses so many time for specific scenes. So i guess some movies are good to watch in 2D version.

hassel lee, Jun 24, 2013 @ 08:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

There is also a huge difference between 3D in the cinema and on TV. Avatar blew me away in the cinema on 3D, but not so much on TV...

There is also a huge difference between 3D in the cinema and on TV. Avatar blew me away in the cinema on 3D, but not so much on TV...

Alan S, Jun 24, 2013 @ 09:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Jun 24, 13 09:48

Yes you are absoultely right "Avatar" has great impact in 3D. I remeber when i saw avatar in 3D, i have thought it is the best way to see movie with glasses. But avatar is animated sort of movie so it does not mean we can see every movie in 3D, sometimes it is better to see in 2D.

Yes you are absoultely right "Avatar" has great impact in 3D. I remeber when i saw avatar in 3D, i have thought it is the best way to see movie with glasses. But avatar is animated sort of movie so it does not mean we can see every movie in 3D, sometimes it is better to see in 2D.

hassel lee, Jun 25, 2013 @ 07:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
16 Replies | 1897 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form