Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Movie / Book / Music Reviews > Disturbing yet Entertaining Books/Movies

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Disturbing yet Entertaining Books/Movies
Memoirs by Augusten Burroughs: Running with Scissors and Dry. Fascinating, disturbing and funny. I believe there is now a movie out based on the first memoir, Running with Scissors.

2 movies that were off the beaten path, interesting and thought provoking:
the Cooler(with William H. Macy)
Hard Candy

Is there a service similar to Net Flix, where you can order movie rentals online, put them into a que and have them shipped to you on a regular basis, in Switzerland? I'm going to miss all my indie films...?
The text you are quoting:
Memoirs by Augusten Burroughs: Running with Scissors and Dry. Fascinating, disturbing and funny. I believe there is now a movie out based on the first memoir, Running with Scissors.

2 movies that were off the beaten path, interesting and thought provoking:
the Cooler(with William H. Macy)
Hard Candy

Is there a service similar to Net Flix, where you can order movie rentals online, put them into a que and have them shipped to you on a regular basis, in Switzerland? I'm going to miss all my indie films...?

kaiyakkerNov 13, 2006 @ 17:57
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1311 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Disturbing yet Entertaining Books/Movies
Post 1
Prozac Nation is a good bet and a bit of a cult book - think the author is Sylvia Plath. Interesting and important but is unlikely to make you happy. A frank account of a young girls struggle against depression and treatment.
Prozac Nation is a good bet and a bit of a cult book - think the author is Sylvia Plath. Interesting and important but is unlikely to make you happy. A frank account of a young girls struggle against depression and treatment.

Singean, Nov 13, 2006 @ 22:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Disturbing yet Entertaining Books/Movies
Post 2
movies:

Mysterious skin... i really cannot recommend this film enough!

Delicatessen, French movie about v strange goings on.

1984: with John Hurt, a very good film of the classic book, get's that creeping feeling that it is all just so very wrong just right!

A Scanner Darkly: at last someone films a Phillip k Dick book right! The use of rotoscoping (where the film is fimed using actors, then cartooned over to give it the cartoon-yet real look) is what really makes this film, but it is not just a gimmick, this story could not be told any other way..

Brazil: Terry Gilliam at his finest! heavily influenced by 1984 undoubtedly, yet a classic film in it's own right.

Hotel Rwanda: ok you undoubtedly know this one already, but it is so well done it deserves a mention.

Soylent Green: if you can ignore the 70's fasions on show, is this a true glimpse of the future?

Das Boot: disturbing as in how it can keep the tension so high for 3 hours!

12 angry men, maybee not truely disturbing, but such a good study of a strong emotional situation, with such fantastic parts played by all..

this list could go on and so so i will cut it there!

Books:

Mark Haddon: The Curious of the Dog in The Nightime. A look throught the eyes of an autistic boy, amazing to see how even atrocious acts can be justified from a certain mindset.

George Orwell: 1984. I think it should be mandatory to read this book ;-)

William Golding: Lord of the Flies. Read thsi so that you never think of children as sweet and innocent ever again!

Richard Morgan: Broken Angels. Personnality digitisation and downloading allowing bodies to be vat grown and worn as 'sleeves' and the moral implications that this creates. ( 'snuff' houses with prostitutes who die every night, mercenaries who have learned from the mistakes of being 'killed' 10 times already, kamikases etc etc..)

Mark Billlingham: The burning girl, in fact any Mark Billingham book, crime/thriller novels with a dark twist.

China Mielville: Perdito Street Station. just makes you feel more and more uncomfortable with every chapter, and yet you cannot stop to read!

Robert Rankin: Seriously twisted, but in a funny way, i would recomend starting with soem of his older books as by now he has twisted so far of the path that it would be hard to jump right in and 'get it' will actually make you laugh out load on teh bus/train/plane (i tend to use his books as a good way to get plenty of space on trains)

ok .. this list could go on longer than the movies one.. time to stop..

movies:

Mysterious skin... i really cannot recommend this film enough!

Delicatessen, French movie about v strange goings on.

1984: with John Hurt, a very good film of the classic book, get's that creeping feeling that it is all just so very wrong just right!

A Scanner Darkly: at last someone films a Phillip k Dick book right! The use of rotoscoping (where the film is fimed using actors, then cartooned over to give it the cartoon-yet real look) is what really makes this film, but it is not just a gimmick, this story could not be told any other way..

Brazil: Terry Gilliam at his finest! heavily influenced by 1984 undoubtedly, yet a classic film in it's own right.

Hotel Rwanda: ok you undoubtedly know this one already, but it is so well done it deserves a mention.

Soylent Green: if you can ignore the 70's fasions on show, is this a true glimpse of the future?

Das Boot: disturbing as in how it can keep the tension so high for 3 hours!

12 angry men, maybee not truely disturbing, but such a good study of a strong emotional situation, with such fantastic parts played by all..

this list could go on and so so i will cut it there!

Books:

Mark Haddon: The Curious of the Dog in The Nightime. A look throught the eyes of an autistic boy, amazing to see how even atrocious acts can be justified from a certain mindset.

George Orwell: 1984. I think it should be mandatory to read this book ;-)

William Golding: Lord of the Flies. Read thsi so that you never think of children as sweet and innocent ever again!

Richard Morgan: Broken Angels. Personnality digitisation and downloading allowing bodies to be vat grown and worn as 'sleeves' and the moral implications that this creates. ( 'snuff' houses with prostitutes who die every night, mercenaries who have learned from the mistakes of being 'killed' 10 times already, kamikases etc etc..)

Mark Billlingham: The burning girl, in fact any Mark Billingham book, crime/thriller novels with a dark twist.

China Mielville: Perdito Street Station. just makes you feel more and more uncomfortable with every chapter, and yet you cannot stop to read!

Robert Rankin: Seriously twisted, but in a funny way, i would recomend starting with soem of his older books as by now he has twisted so far of the path that it would be hard to jump right in and 'get it' will actually make you laugh out load on teh bus/train/plane (i tend to use his books as a good way to get plenty of space on trains)

ok .. this list could go on longer than the movies one.. time to stop..

BadDNA, Nov 15, 2006 @ 01:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 1311 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form