Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Jem - Finally Woken
After rewatching the movie Closer, a great one by the way, i love Julia Roberts talking dirty to Clive Owen, I couldn´t get the song Come On Closer by Jem out of my head. So I bought her album Finally Woken on the itunes store.

It´s a great album I will definately add to the soundrack of my life. Though the downbeat electronica and laconic vocals of Cardiff-born Jem Griffiths find her lumbered with a "Dido-wannabe" tag, she's actually much more adventurous than that. On the whole, Finally Woken sounds like someone finally told Beth Orton to cheer up, and at its best the album finds Jem reveling in all the studio tricks available to her. The opener, "They," loops a nonsensical children's chorus to create a mood of Danny Elfmanesque creepiness, while "Come On Closer" and "24" manage to use crunching electric guitars and strings while avoiding any comparison to Evanescence. The title track combines a loping beat with a jazzy vocal delivery that's reminiscent of Portishead, and "Save Me" is a better-than-average R&B track that's sure to be covered for years to come.
The text you are quoting:
After rewatching the movie Closer, a great one by the way, i love Julia Roberts talking dirty to Clive Owen, I couldn´t get the song Come On Closer by Jem out of my head. So I bought her album Finally Woken on the itunes store.

It´s a great album I will definately add to the soundrack of my life. Though the downbeat electronica and laconic vocals of Cardiff-born Jem Griffiths find her lumbered with a "Dido-wannabe" tag, she's actually much more adventurous than that. On the whole, Finally Woken sounds like someone finally told Beth Orton to cheer up, and at its best the album finds Jem reveling in all the studio tricks available to her. The opener, "They," loops a nonsensical children's chorus to create a mood of Danny Elfmanesque creepiness, while "Come On Closer" and "24" manage to use crunching electric guitars and strings while avoiding any comparison to Evanescence. The title track combines a loping beat with a jazzy vocal delivery that's reminiscent of Portishead, and "Save Me" is a better-than-average R&B track that's sure to be covered for years to come.
Mister_SarkSep 20, 2006 @ 11:40
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1201 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Jem - Finally Woken
Post 1
i bought the album after reading your review and i cannot thank you enough for making me discover this really good album... i had heard some of the songs on couleur 3 and i had hummed to the quiet melodies, without knowing who the artist behind them was.... it's just perfect for those long damp autumn evenings, for cuddling on the sofa, reading a good book and drinking hot cocoa....
i bought the album after reading your review and i cannot thank you enough for making me discover this really good album... i had heard some of the songs on couleur 3 and i had hummed to the quiet melodies, without knowing who the artist behind them was.... it's just perfect for those long damp autumn evenings, for cuddling on the sofa, reading a good book and drinking hot cocoa....
addaxnat, Oct 11, 2006 @ 18:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Jem - Finally Woken
Post 2
it´s the perfect album for a rainy day with a glass of wine on the couch.
it´s the perfect album for a rainy day with a glass of wine on the couch.
Mister_Sark, Oct 11, 2006 @ 23:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 1201 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form