Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Movie / Book / Music Reviews > Volver - new movie by Pedro Almodovar

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Volver - new movie by Pedro Almodovar
Saw this movie last saturday and can only recommend (well, if you're not looking for a popcorn movie).
Set in Spain, the movie takes up themes like sexual abuse, death and loneliness but somehow manages to keep a light touch that made the audience (including me) laugh many times.
Great performances by the entire cast (in my opinion Carmen Maura stands out), beautifully filmed and a with a good plot circling around a working-class woman (guys: this is Penelope Cruz ;-)) going at great lengths to protect daughter, while her mother comes back from the dead to tie up the loose ends she couldn't resolve during her life.

Sounds a bit weird? Maybe...but give it a try!

Alex

The text you are quoting:
Saw this movie last saturday and can only recommend (well, if you're not looking for a popcorn movie).
Set in Spain, the movie takes up themes like sexual abuse, death and loneliness but somehow manages to keep a light touch that made the audience (including me) laugh many times.
Great performances by the entire cast (in my opinion Carmen Maura stands out), beautifully filmed and a with a good plot circling around a working-class woman (guys: this is Penelope Cruz ;-)) going at great lengths to protect daughter, while her mother comes back from the dead to tie up the loose ends she couldn't resolve during her life.

Sounds a bit weird? Maybe...but give it a try!

Alex

QuijoteMay 23, 2006 @ 03:40
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1122 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Volver - new movie by Pedro Almodovar
Post 1
I am mopre into popcorn movies like X-men and such but I must say I found this movie very good even though I am not an Aldomovar fan. The subject is hard but plays out very well in my opinion.
I am mopre into popcorn movies like X-men and such but I must say I found this movie very good even though I am not an Aldomovar fan. The subject is hard but plays out very well in my opinion.
SE1972, Jun 21, 2006 @ 20:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
I like Alomodovar and even when I don't think VOLVER was among his best movies it was Pretty Good.

The "dead" mother sets a very funny mood in the movie.
I like Alomodovar and even when I don't think VOLVER was among his best movies it was Pretty Good.

The "dead" mother sets a very funny mood in the movie.
joeviaud, Aug 14, 2006 @ 18:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
I love Almodovars movies try All about my mother, Talk to her
I love Almodovars movies try All about my mother, Talk to her
Susan61, Jan 17, 2007 @ 21:00