Login or Sign Up

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
War theme
Been on a bit of a war theme lately although am getting a bit tired of it. A couple of nice ones out there are Captain Corellis Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres and Jar Head by Antony Swoford.

CCM is very charming. Centres around the developing relationship between an officer of the occupying forces and a local girl. The book swings between embarassing laugh out loud humour and the relentless, unforgiving impact of war. Could even be my favourite read of the year. Overall the book is damning of war.

On the other side of the scale is Jarhead, an intelligent expose of the life of an american marine during the iraq war. In contrast to the previous book which ridicules war this celebrates the life of the soldier and you get to realise just how tough those guys out in the desert were. At times the life seems mindless, at other times it's almost temtping to shave your head and join them.

I would say if you're stuck for something interesting then you could do far worse than either of these.
The text you are quoting:
Been on a bit of a war theme lately although am getting a bit tired of it. A couple of nice ones out there are Captain Corellis Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres and Jar Head by Antony Swoford.

CCM is very charming. Centres around the developing relationship between an officer of the occupying forces and a local girl. The book swings between embarassing laugh out loud humour and the relentless, unforgiving impact of war. Could even be my favourite read of the year. Overall the book is damning of war.

On the other side of the scale is Jarhead, an intelligent expose of the life of an american marine during the iraq war. In contrast to the previous book which ridicules war this celebrates the life of the soldier and you get to realise just how tough those guys out in the desert were. At times the life seems mindless, at other times it's almost temtping to shave your head and join them.

I would say if you're stuck for something interesting then you could do far worse than either of these.
SingeanJun 16, 2006 @ 16:56
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1090 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: War theme
Post 1
The movie is good, but the book is one of the best I have ever read. Highly recommended.
The movie is good, but the book is one of the best I have ever read. Highly recommended.
Nir Ofek, Jun 19, 2006 @ 19:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: War theme
Post 2
Watched the movies of both - agree with you about the Jarhead film which I liked a lot (pretty rare to enjoy both the book and the film). On the other hand the film of Captain Correllis Mandolin was an exercise in slow torture with a dreadful Italian accent by Nicholas Cage. Somehow they managed to remove almost all of the charm and humour from the book.
Watched the movies of both - agree with you about the Jarhead film which I liked a lot (pretty rare to enjoy both the book and the film). On the other hand the film of Captain Correllis Mandolin was an exercise in slow torture with a dreadful Italian accent by Nicholas Cage. Somehow they managed to remove almost all of the charm and humour from the book.
Singean, Jun 21, 2006 @ 16:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 1090 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form