Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Movie / Book / Music Reviews > book/movie: Da Vinci Code Reviewed

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
book/movie: Da Vinci Code Reviewed
A little surprised not to find a review here on this, after all the brouhaha around the book and the movie.

I read the book because one of my colleagues who was sooo obviously suffering from lack of sleep told me about it. His words were "Just couldn't put it down. Every page made me want to find out what would happen next." So after a recommendation like that I had to go out and get myself a copy. My reaction after the first 15 pages... this guy is no author!! I still finished the book though There is no way I would say that this book is going to teach anyone about how to write well or what literature should be all about, to be honest I found the style of writing really horrible. But the plot and the some of the conspiracy theories I quite enjoyed (I'm not an incredibly religious person and am perfectly willing to respect everyone's beliefs and theories on any subject).

The movie, I had absolutely no intention of going to see. But in the end it was a classic case of, going because I liked the people who had asked me, and there are worse things than spending an afternoon in the cinema with a couple of fun people even if the film isn't your first choice. Now nearly everyone I had talked to had hated this movie and especially Tom Hanks (one of my female friends had even gone as far as saying that he ruined the movie and that they should have picked Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt. The horror!!!).

To my surprise I rather enjoyed it. Take as a simple, brainless thriller/adventure movie it wasn't at all disappointing. Not Tom Hanks' best performance. But the mischevious twinkle in Ian McKellan's eyes made up for it. I can well imagine that if you haven't read the book, the whole thing might seem a little convoluted and very confusing. Of course the ending comes as no surprise (unlike the Bourne Identity, where the only thing the took from the book was the title and the idea of someone losing his memory).

The book was too easy to figure out, I had already resolved the mystery of the Chalice 2/3 rds of the way through. I think, the book allowed the reader to feel smug because you were always a step ahead of the protagonists. The movie... difficult to say since I had already read the book.

Anyway, my personal opinion... if you're stuck for something to do... go watch it to see what all the fuss is about, or maybe rent the DVD when it comes out... but don't bother buying it.

Cheers,
S.
The text you are quoting:
A little surprised not to find a review here on this, after all the brouhaha around the book and the movie.

I read the book because one of my colleagues who was sooo obviously suffering from lack of sleep told me about it. His words were "Just couldn't put it down. Every page made me want to find out what would happen next." So after a recommendation like that I had to go out and get myself a copy. My reaction after the first 15 pages... this guy is no author!! I still finished the book though There is no way I would say that this book is going to teach anyone about how to write well or what literature should be all about, to be honest I found the style of writing really horrible. But the plot and the some of the conspiracy theories I quite enjoyed (I'm not an incredibly religious person and am perfectly willing to respect everyone's beliefs and theories on any subject).

The movie, I had absolutely no intention of going to see. But in the end it was a classic case of, going because I liked the people who had asked me, and there are worse things than spending an afternoon in the cinema with a couple of fun people even if the film isn't your first choice. Now nearly everyone I had talked to had hated this movie and especially Tom Hanks (one of my female friends had even gone as far as saying that he ruined the movie and that they should have picked Johnny Depp or Brad Pitt. The horror!!!).

To my surprise I rather enjoyed it. Take as a simple, brainless thriller/adventure movie it wasn't at all disappointing. Not Tom Hanks' best performance. But the mischevious twinkle in Ian McKellan's eyes made up for it. I can well imagine that if you haven't read the book, the whole thing might seem a little convoluted and very confusing. Of course the ending comes as no surprise (unlike the Bourne Identity, where the only thing the took from the book was the title and the idea of someone losing his memory).

The book was too easy to figure out, I had already resolved the mystery of the Chalice 2/3 rds of the way through. I think, the book allowed the reader to feel smug because you were always a step ahead of the protagonists. The movie... difficult to say since I had already read the book.

Anyway, my personal opinion... if you're stuck for something to do... go watch it to see what all the fuss is about, or maybe rent the DVD when it comes out... but don't bother buying it.

Cheers,
S.
shadow69May 31, 2006 @ 13:20
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1209 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: book/movie: Da Vinci Code Reviewed
Post 1
Well thought out plot but it's definitely not what I wud call a piece of literature...unless the meaning of that word changed since the last time i looked.

Heard lots about the movie..but yes, so far, i'm still w8ing 4 the dvd ; )
Well thought out plot but it's definitely not what I wud call a piece of literature...unless the meaning of that word changed since the last time i looked.

Heard lots about the movie..but yes, so far, i'm still w8ing 4 the dvd ; )
Tigger, May 31, 2006 @ 17:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
After all the excitement of the book I agree - I thought it was very much "airport reading material". Pretty fun all the same though.

Find I have no attraction to see the film, I know the big shock of the book so just don't feel pulled to it. If they'd cast Harrison Ford instead as a sneaky old Indie Jones type installment it may have been different.
After all the excitement of the book I agree - I thought it was very much "airport reading material". Pretty fun all the same though.

Find I have no attraction to see the film, I know the big shock of the book so just don't feel pulled to it. If they'd cast Harrison Ford instead as a sneaky old Indie Jones type installment it may have been different.
Singean, May 31, 2006 @ 23:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Hi,
I read the book like 2-3 years ago, and I've to admit I also finished it very fast, wanting to know what will happen next. But it was not a great book or anything, the proof for myself being than when I saw the movie, I realized I forgot most of the book (which happen to me quite often for my "recreational" thriller reading, and actually may be better when you see the movie later :) ).
About the movie... well, it's not a great movie either, and I admit Hanks and Audrey Tautou had been much better in many other movies (btw, if you've not seen "Amelie Poulain" so far, try to do it asap), as well as Jean Reno, who's nearly useless in that movie. But, considering most critics before were so awful, I didn'^t find it THAT bad. Just don't expect too much of it after all that hype.
A warning for some of you that don't speak french at all: I saw the movie at the "rex" cinema, is engish with subtitles... however, in a few scenes Jean Reno and Audrey Tautou speak in french, and they are no subtitles, it may be annoying for you. But I fear it's like that everywhere.
R?my
Hi,
I read the book like 2-3 years ago, and I've to admit I also finished it very fast, wanting to know what will happen next. But it was not a great book or anything, the proof for myself being than when I saw the movie, I realized I forgot most of the book (which happen to me quite often for my "recreational" thriller reading, and actually may be better when you see the movie later :) ).
About the movie... well, it's not a great movie either, and I admit Hanks and Audrey Tautou had been much better in many other movies (btw, if you've not seen "Amelie Poulain" so far, try to do it asap), as well as Jean Reno, who's nearly useless in that movie. But, considering most critics before were so awful, I didn'^t find it THAT bad. Just don't expect too much of it after all that hype.
A warning for some of you that don't speak french at all: I saw the movie at the "rex" cinema, is engish with subtitles... however, in a few scenes Jean Reno and Audrey Tautou speak in french, and they are no subtitles, it may be annoying for you. But I fear it's like that everywhere.
R?my
RemyS, Jun 1, 2006 @ 14:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
...or the "City of lost Children" is by Jeunet and Caro who directed Amelie. The story is very different and much darker however many of the actors are the same and much of the same quirky touches and photograpic style are still in evidence.

Could be worth a look if you liked Amelie or wanted to just try another successful French film.
...or the "City of lost Children" is by Jeunet and Caro who directed Amelie. The story is very different and much darker however many of the actors are the same and much of the same quirky touches and photograpic style are still in evidence.

Could be worth a look if you liked Amelie or wanted to just try another successful French film.
Singean, Jun 21, 2006 @ 17:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1209 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form