Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > 23 year old from Newcastle - new to Geneva!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
23 year old from Newcastle - new to Geneva!

Hey everyone,

I'm Dave, I've just moved here from sunny Newcastle to start working in I.T. at a bank here, it's all exciting and new! When thinking about moving here, I never really actually thought what was involved - now I've got here, I'm a little stuck with some things - primarily people to go out with!

I'm generally game for anything, I'm especially hoping to meet people who can come console/heckle me while Newcastle are getting soundly thumped on a regular basis , but I enjoy loads of other stuff so would be happy to try anything really. 

Err... I didn't really think through what I was going to write here. But yeah, send me a message or anything if anyones local and fancies meeting up, I'll try and contribute to the forums but I've always been more of a lurker than a poster on these things.

Cheers!

The text you are quoting:

Hey everyone,

I'm Dave, I've just moved here from sunny Newcastle to start working in I.T. at a bank here, it's all exciting and new! When thinking about moving here, I never really actually thought what was involved - now I've got here, I'm a little stuck with some things - primarily people to go out with!

I'm generally game for anything, I'm especially hoping to meet people who can come console/heckle me while Newcastle are getting soundly thumped on a regular basis , but I enjoy loads of other stuff so would be happy to try anything really. 

Err... I didn't really think through what I was going to write here. But yeah, send me a message or anything if anyones local and fancies meeting up, I'll try and contribute to the forums but I've always been more of a lurker than a poster on these things.

Cheers!

David MAug 21, 2010 @ 12:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 727 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: 23 year old from Newcastle - new to Geneva!
Post 1

Hi Dave,

I'm new too, just got here last week! I'd be up for exploring or ...making fun of Newcastle...? (haha, I'm guessing you're talking about a sports team? You'll have to fill me in...)

Anyway, I'm around all weekend so if you feel like venturing out tonight or tomorrow let me know :-)

Cheers!

-Helen

Hi Dave,

I'm new too, just got here last week! I'd be up for exploring or ...making fun of Newcastle...? (haha, I'm guessing you're talking about a sports team? You'll have to fill me in...)

Anyway, I'm around all weekend so if you feel like venturing out tonight or tomorrow let me know :-)

Cheers!

-Helen

Helen R, Aug 21, 2010 @ 17:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

David, I'd suggest going to any of the events that are posted , or even suggest one yourself , such as watching Newcastle play at one of the English pubs.

David, I'd suggest going to any of the events that are posted , or even suggest one yourself , such as watching Newcastle play at one of the English pubs.

britabroad, Aug 22, 2010 @ 09:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Welcome to Geneva David!

... speaking of pubs... not that I am an expert:-)) but there is a few in Geneva, with darts' teams included...

3 names come to mind... the largest that I know of Mr Pickwick www.mrpickwick.ch with dozens of screens to watch dozens of matches. Then, Charlie O'Neill's, nice medium size - and Mulligan's a small and cozy.

I think once you've done 'a round' you'll be set for a good start with real-life socializing... and for virtual socializing, GLocals ... or course!

All the best!

Welcome to Geneva David!

... speaking of pubs... not that I am an expert:-)) but there is a few in Geneva, with darts' teams included...

3 names come to mind... the largest that I know of Mr Pickwick www.mrpickwick.ch with dozens of screens to watch dozens of matches. Then, Charlie O'Neill's, nice medium size - and Mulligan's a small and cozy.

I think once you've done 'a round' you'll be set for a good start with real-life socializing... and for virtual socializing, GLocals ... or course!

All the best!

nomades, Aug 22, 2010 @ 10:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hellow fellow Geordie!  I have just moved to Switzerland to, but I am in Zurich.  Not sure if I am looking forward to watching the Villa game this afternoon, but I guess we will see!

Anyway, I am new here too, would be nice to make some friends. :)

Hellow fellow Geordie!  I have just moved to Switzerland to, but I am in Zurich.  Not sure if I am looking forward to watching the Villa game this afternoon, but I guess we will see!

Anyway, I am new here too, would be nice to make some friends. :)

Stan M, Aug 22, 2010 @ 13:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I'm not the only Geordie travelling the world I see - shame you aren't local Stan! I've resorted to watching it online as I've got the worlds biggest hangover so didn't fancy another drink (I know - I was always soft at home!), still we're doing ok so far!

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone, will probably look to arrange an event next time theres a game on and see who fancies it, and start getting a bit involved. Though for now, my efforts are pretty much limited to getting through today!

Cheers :)

I'm not the only Geordie travelling the world I see - shame you aren't local Stan! I've resorted to watching it online as I've got the worlds biggest hangover so didn't fancy another drink (I know - I was always soft at home!), still we're doing ok so far!

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone, will probably look to arrange an event next time theres a game on and see who fancies it, and start getting a bit involved. Though for now, my efforts are pretty much limited to getting through today!

Cheers :)

David M, Aug 22, 2010 @ 15:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

You'll find Geneva is full of Geordies, and to find them you just have to Mulligans on a Thursday. I'm also from Newcastle but left 12 years ago. I advise you give up supporting Newcastle United. Basically, they're crap. Divert your efforts to Servette who are also rather bad. but at least you can watch them play regularly.

If you're a scuba diver then join the scuba group - plenty of English and English speakers.

Cheers,

Richard

You'll find Geneva is full of Geordies, and to find them you just have to Mulligans on a Thursday. I'm also from Newcastle but left 12 years ago. I advise you give up supporting Newcastle United. Basically, they're crap. Divert your efforts to Servette who are also rather bad. but at least you can watch them play regularly.

If you're a scuba diver then join the scuba group - plenty of English and English speakers.

Cheers,

Richard

spikings, Aug 22, 2010 @ 15:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Well its half time and not doing too bad! :)

Well its half time and not doing too bad! :)

Stan M, Aug 22, 2010 @ 15:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 727 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form