Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Back to Geneva after living in Berkeley

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Back to Geneva after living in Berkeley

Hello!

I just got back to Geneva after teaching a semester at Berkeley.  I live in Carouge with my fiance' who is a physicist at Cern.  I am currently writing my dissertation in Italian Studies at the University of California, Berkeley, and I would love to meet people who are in a similar situation.  I lived here from fall 2008 to summer 2009, but I didn't make many friends. :( This time, I'd like it to be different! Writing a dissertation far from my department and my colleauges and friends, proves to be quite difficult.  Is there anyone out there who is also struggling to write and do research here in Geneva?

The text you are quoting:

Hello!

I just got back to Geneva after teaching a semester at Berkeley.  I live in Carouge with my fiance' who is a physicist at Cern.  I am currently writing my dissertation in Italian Studies at the University of California, Berkeley, and I would love to meet people who are in a similar situation.  I lived here from fall 2008 to summer 2009, but I didn't make many friends. :( This time, I'd like it to be different! Writing a dissertation far from my department and my colleauges and friends, proves to be quite difficult.  Is there anyone out there who is also struggling to write and do research here in Geneva?

janaya lJan 5, 2010 @ 12:21
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 806 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Back to Geneva after living in Berkeley
Post 1

Yup.

And I live in Carouge, too.

On a fellowship teaching and strrrrrruggling to write a major article for which I have done all the research...but just need to write the darn thing!!! 

Yup.

And I live in Carouge, too.

On a fellowship teaching and strrrrrruggling to write a major article for which I have done all the research...but just need to write the darn thing!!! 

Charles G, Jan 5, 2010 @ 13:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi 

Welcome back!  I'm not in Carouge but Veyrier just close by.  I did go to Berkeley for undergraduate school though and am currently writing a book.  I would love to meet up with you for coffee and reminise about Berkeley and ask you about your research. Sometimes, talking about things makes it easier to write about them...

Nelle 

Hi 

Welcome back!  I'm not in Carouge but Veyrier just close by.  I did go to Berkeley for undergraduate school though and am currently writing a book.  I would love to meet up with you for coffee and reminise about Berkeley and ask you about your research. Sometimes, talking about things makes it easier to write about them...

Nelle 

Nelle N, Jan 5, 2010 @ 14:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Charles,

What are you teaching and what is your article about?  I'd love to form a writing support group if I get enough people interested.  Would you be?

Do you like Carouge? 

Where do you think the best place to get coffee is here?

Good luck writing, it's always so hard to just start the writing process.  After that, it gets better.

Hi Charles,

What are you teaching and what is your article about?  I'd love to form a writing support group if I get enough people interested.  Would you be?

Do you like Carouge? 

Where do you think the best place to get coffee is here?

Good luck writing, it's always so hard to just start the writing process.  After that, it gets better.

janaya l, Jan 5, 2010 @ 14:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Nelle,

I'd love to meet up for coffee and talk about writing and Berkeley! What did you major in at Berkeley?  It's such a wonderful place!

I'd love to hear more about your book project as well. 

Thanks for replying.

Best,

Janaya

Hi Nelle,

I'd love to meet up for coffee and talk about writing and Berkeley! What did you major in at Berkeley?  It's such a wonderful place!

I'd love to hear more about your book project as well. 

Thanks for replying.

Best,

Janaya

janaya l, Jan 5, 2010 @ 14:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Sorry to intrude but I heard something about where the best coffee place is in Geneva. There's no doubt this place is Boreal Coffee. It's near Plainspalais and Bel Air.

Here is their website: www.borealcoffee.ch and here is a Google Maps <a target="_blank" href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=boreal+coffee,+geneva,+suisse&ie=UTF8&hq=boreal+coffee,&hnear=Geneva,+Switzerland&ll=46.203998,6.1411&spn=0.008391,0.01929&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A&cid=4855537853945536174>link</a>

Alp

Sorry to intrude but I heard something about where the best coffee place is in Geneva. There's no doubt this place is Boreal Coffee. It's near Plainspalais and Bel Air.

Here is their website: www.borealcoffee.ch and here is a Google Maps <a target="_blank" href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=boreal+coffee,+geneva,+suisse&ie=UTF8&hq=boreal+coffee,&hnear=Geneva,+Switzerland&ll=46.203998,6.1411&spn=0.008391,0.01929&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A&cid=4855537853945536174>link</a>

Alp

Alp_, Jan 5, 2010 @ 15:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 806 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form