Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Coming for July at Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Coming for July at Geneva

Hello,

I'm Nicolas, leaving Paris to Geneva in July with my girlfriend.

We are really excited to begin a new peaceful life without traffic jam neither pollution.

My girl friend is looking for a job to become a Promotional Offer Projet Manager.
On my side I'm an IT engineer who found a work but I'm front off dificulties to seek a not too much expensive flat to rent on the area of Geneva.

So I'm happy to see this place of exchanges.

Nice to meet you. Smile

The text you are quoting:

Hello,

I'm Nicolas, leaving Paris to Geneva in July with my girlfriend.

We are really excited to begin a new peaceful life without traffic jam neither pollution.

My girl friend is looking for a job to become a Promotional Offer Projet Manager.
On my side I'm an IT engineer who found a work but I'm front off dificulties to seek a not too much expensive flat to rent on the area of Geneva.

So I'm happy to see this place of exchanges.

Nice to meet you. Smile

Nicolas BApr 25, 2016 @ 19:06
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

15 Replies | 1214 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Coming for July at Geneva
Post 1

What price range are you looking for?

alexandre yin, Apr 27, 2016 @ 17:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

For accommodation, check out the Classifieds where you can browse the offers in “Housing available” and also place an ad. of your own in “Housing wanted”.  The Classifieds are also good for job opportunities.

Best wishes, R.

For accommodation, check out the Classifieds where you can browse the offers in “Housing available” and also place an ad. of your own in “Housing wanted”.  The Classifieds are also good for job opportunities.

Best wishes, R.

Ritchie, Apr 27, 2016 @ 18:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Apr 27, 16 17:36

Hello,

As I can see you are in the same situation, I hope finding a flat around 1600-2000 CHF and you what do you expected ?

If I can't find a nice flat at july 15th I will have no choice to find it at the boarder of France. I don't really want to but if have to do the travel each time they schedule a visit fix it will be too complicated and so expensive for me.

I have the time I wish I will find it ! Innocent

Hello,

As I can see you are in the same situation, I hope finding a flat around 1600-2000 CHF and you what do you expected ?

If I can't find a nice flat at july 15th I will have no choice to find it at the boarder of France. I don't really want to but if have to do the travel each time they schedule a visit fix it will be too complicated and so expensive for me.

I have the time I wish I will find it ! Innocent

Nicolas B, Apr 27, 2016 @ 22:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Normally you have to be flexible in Geneve. The market is small and the demand is high. Many people come first and stay in a temporary place and continue search one here.

Also from formal perspective, I doubt that you would be able to rent a flat before you officially start working; i.e. you should have your residence permit or ofiicial confirmation that a permit B request has submitted by your employer etc.

There used to be dicussions previouly about it on the forum and also some guides were recommended. Just do a search on the forum to learn about the practicalities.

Also do not panic just try to secure a temp place. You may also ask HR is they have some kind of agreement with some temp housing service provider.

Normally you have to be flexible in Geneve. The market is small and the demand is high. Many people come first and stay in a temporary place and continue search one here.

Also from formal perspective, I doubt that you would be able to rent a flat before you officially start working; i.e. you should have your residence permit or ofiicial confirmation that a permit B request has submitted by your employer etc.

There used to be dicussions previouly about it on the forum and also some guides were recommended. Just do a search on the forum to learn about the practicalities.

Also do not panic just try to secure a temp place. You may also ask HR is they have some kind of agreement with some temp housing service provider.

Reka Y, Apr 27, 2016 @ 23:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thank you Reka for having taken the time to explain all of these advices.

Earlier today, I received a good news, my HR wrote by email that an agreement is currently in a finalize step in order to pretend obtaining an help for the relocation.

Now I have a guideline to follow, thanks for your feedback. Cool

Thank you Reka for having taken the time to explain all of these advices.

Earlier today, I received a good news, my HR wrote by email that an agreement is currently in a finalize step in order to pretend obtaining an help for the relocation.

Now I have a guideline to follow, thanks for your feedback. Cool

Nicolas B, Apr 29, 2016 @ 00:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Nicolas

Why don't you live in La France Voisine? You have the right to live there automatically and it is less expensive [we live in Evian-les-Bains but are retired]. I am thinking principally of Divonne, Gex, Gaillard, Annemasse. But perhaps your contract does not allow this?

Best wishes

Sheila

Nicolas

Why don't you live in La France Voisine? You have the right to live there automatically and it is less expensive [we live in Evian-les-Bains but are retired]. I am thinking principally of Divonne, Gex, Gaillard, Annemasse. But perhaps your contract does not allow this?

Best wishes

Sheila

sheila c, Apr 29, 2016 @ 18:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Yes Sheila I can, my company don't mention the fact that it is mandatory to be a Swiss resident but most of the people advise me to find into the Geneva area especially for my girl friend who will have a better luck to find a job.

To be fully integrated in this new country I prefer put all the chances on my side.

What do you think ?

Yes Sheila I can, my company don't mention the fact that it is mandatory to be a Swiss resident but most of the people advise me to find into the Geneva area especially for my girl friend who will have a better luck to find a job.

To be fully integrated in this new country I prefer put all the chances on my side.

What do you think ?

Nicolas B, Apr 29, 2016 @ 20:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Only you can decide Nicolas. There are of course pros and cons with residing in any area or country. If you wish to integrate as obviously you do, then perhaps Geneva would be a better area. However, finding an apartment is often difficult so good luckCool

Only you can decide Nicolas. There are of course pros and cons with residing in any area or country. If you wish to integrate as obviously you do, then perhaps Geneva would be a better area. However, finding an apartment is often difficult so good luckCool

sheila c, Apr 29, 2016 @ 20:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible for my girl friend, where we live together in Paris since one year, if this is possible for her to follow me and look for a job ?

I heard, like she is a Polish girl, this is not really easy to start getting look for a job before she has got a residence permit.

Is it possible for us to obtain a family reunification even if we are not married ?

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Nicolas.

Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible for my girl friend, where we live together in Paris since one year, if this is possible for her to follow me and look for a job ?

I heard, like she is a Polish girl, this is not really easy to start getting look for a job before she has got a residence permit.

Is it possible for us to obtain a family reunification even if we are not married ?

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Nicolas.

Nicolas B, May 24, 2016 @ 17:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

You wrote "Is it possible for us to obtain a family reunification even if we are not married ?"

In order to comply with the rules you might need to accept getting engaged with this young Polish woman to be eligible, otherwise Tough is even underestimation.

Can you wait till mid June to move-in definitely while relocating in a temporary acomodation . PM if easier..

You wrote "Is it possible for us to obtain a family reunification even if we are not married ?"

In order to comply with the rules you might need to accept getting engaged with this young Polish woman to be eligible, otherwise Tough is even underestimation.

Can you wait till mid June to move-in definitely while relocating in a temporary acomodation . PM if easier..

Milord, May 25, 2016 @ 15:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Thank you Milord for your answer.

We have to live temporarily in an apartment into Geneva for 3 months. During this period, my girlfriend has to be hired, if not we will need to move again ? The fact that she is a young Polish will not be harder for her to be hire ? 

I think, in this case it will be easier for us to find a flat in the border and to be able to stay more than 3 months to find a job and wait to see what the future will show for us ?

Thank you Milord for your answer.

We have to live temporarily in an apartment into Geneva for 3 months. During this period, my girlfriend has to be hired, if not we will need to move again ? The fact that she is a young Polish will not be harder for her to be hire ? 

I think, in this case it will be easier for us to find a flat in the border and to be able to stay more than 3 months to find a job and wait to see what the future will show for us ?

Nicolas B, May 27, 2016 @ 12:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Thing is that most of the job available are for people alreadiy holding a permit. With new legislation Swiss companies have to justify why they are hiring non Swiss/ho permit people.

I have the same problem with a fellow South African friend. Some of my friends working in HR suggested him to marry a Swiss girl....

Good luck, i do hope things go well for you guys

Thing is that most of the job available are for people alreadiy holding a permit. With new legislation Swiss companies have to justify why they are hiring non Swiss/ho permit people.

I have the same problem with a fellow South African friend. Some of my friends working in HR suggested him to marry a Swiss girl....

Good luck, i do hope things go well for you guys

Angel D, May 27, 2016 @ 12:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Even if we live in the Geneva center, with my name and my spouse 's name in the rental agreement, there are the same complications for her to be hire ?

She needs to be hire for having a permit or we need to be married to benefit of the family reunification.

Angelo, I pecrise this is not my friend but the woman with whom I live every day but without mariage contract.

If there is no real luck for her to find the job to stay with me in Geneva, we will look for a flat in the border which is twice less expensive and with the same capability to find a job.

What other people think about it ?

Even if we live in the Geneva center, with my name and my spouse 's name in the rental agreement, there are the same complications for her to be hire ?

She needs to be hire for having a permit or we need to be married to benefit of the family reunification.

Angelo, I pecrise this is not my friend but the woman with whom I live every day but without mariage contract.

If there is no real luck for her to find the job to stay with me in Geneva, we will look for a flat in the border which is twice less expensive and with the same capability to find a job.

What other people think about it ?

Nicolas B, May 27, 2016 @ 14:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I assume i am Angelo.

I understood your situation. Just that for the Etat de Geneve, your girlfriend and my friend have the same status ;)

So she might be lucky but finding a job without a work permit is likely to be difficult.

I assume i am Angelo.

I understood your situation. Just that for the Etat de Geneve, your girlfriend and my friend have the same status ;)

So she might be lucky but finding a job without a work permit is likely to be difficult.

Angel D, May 27, 2016 @ 14:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

I have a one bedroom apartment for the month of July, only one month.  If you are interested please message me back.  it's 1950, plus 500 deposit returnable at the end of the month.  Thank you.

I have a one bedroom apartment for the month of July, only one month.  If you are interested please message me back.  it's 1950, plus 500 deposit returnable at the end of the month.  Thank you.

Emily Ferrero, Jun 15, 2016 @ 21:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
15 Replies | 1214 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form