Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Do people dance in GENEVA nightclubs?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Do people dance in GENEVA nightclubs?

Hi guys, I'm new to Glocals but not to Geneva, I came to Switzerland (Lausanne) 6 years ago. It's sad to say I do not yet have a person I can really call my friend (acquaintances). I know i know, sad story (tell me about it!).

Back in NY, I loved dancing when am out in a nightclub - nowadays i just feel old(only 30) and silly dancing while everyone looks at me like the loner......

Well,  I want to know if you experience the same or have an idea where to party and dance.

Don't get me wrong, either they are with their friends dancing (the drunk dance) or just hanging doing nothing (i thought that's what bars are designed for not nightclubs) 

Any ideas

The text you are quoting:

Hi guys, I'm new to Glocals but not to Geneva, I came to Switzerland (Lausanne) 6 years ago. It's sad to say I do not yet have a person I can really call my friend (acquaintances). I know i know, sad story (tell me about it!).

Back in NY, I loved dancing when am out in a nightclub - nowadays i just feel old(only 30) and silly dancing while everyone looks at me like the loner......

Well,  I want to know if you experience the same or have an idea where to party and dance.

Don't get me wrong, either they are with their friends dancing (the drunk dance) or just hanging doing nothing (i thought that's what bars are designed for not nightclubs) 

Any ideas

Ansu KDec 9, 2010 @ 01:47
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

32 Replies | 2409 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Do people dance in GENEVA nightclubs?
Post 1

Hey Ansu,

You should try Palais Mascott, they have a good mix of people and music. Ground floor (after the show) is a mix of mowtown, 70's classics and 80's etc but downstairs usually is more up to date with dance and R'n'B music. Hope it helps.

Also the GLOCALS ball at the intercontinental should be fun and a great place to meet new people and make friends.

BCRover

Hey Ansu,

You should try Palais Mascott, they have a good mix of people and music. Ground floor (after the show) is a mix of mowtown, 70's classics and 80's etc but downstairs usually is more up to date with dance and R'n'B music. Hope it helps.

Also the GLOCALS ball at the intercontinental should be fun and a great place to meet new people and make friends.

BCRover

BCROVER, Dec 9, 2010 @ 09:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hey! ;)

I personally don't care what others think of me when I started to dance: D (i hope i do that marvelous ):D hahah
and yes, very often we see the  dancers who are very drunk, but I've found a lot of friends who might even be sober and can  dance easily in the street, club, or also on the table: D
I'm still testing out all the Geneva and Lausanne dance clubs, but so far have not found any that I'd love for all 100% and I would say that is a really great place with good music.
I don't know why, but it seems to me that the best night life are  in the Latvia, UK, Spain. Judging from my experience and friends. There's starting to warm up around  10-12pm, starts to dance around 12-1am and continued until  7 am. DJ is great, they make the evening even more fascinating, so everybody can dance!
but we are all different...
So who cares, let's Dance..... Jihaaaa! It's Party Time! :)

Hey! ;)

I personally don't care what others think of me when I started to dance: D (i hope i do that marvelous ):D hahah
and yes, very often we see the  dancers who are very drunk, but I've found a lot of friends who might even be sober and can  dance easily in the street, club, or also on the table: D
I'm still testing out all the Geneva and Lausanne dance clubs, but so far have not found any that I'd love for all 100% and I would say that is a really great place with good music.
I don't know why, but it seems to me that the best night life are  in the Latvia, UK, Spain. Judging from my experience and friends. There's starting to warm up around  10-12pm, starts to dance around 12-1am and continued until  7 am. DJ is great, they make the evening even more fascinating, so everybody can dance!
but we are all different...
So who cares, let's Dance..... Jihaaaa! It's Party Time! :)

Dace B, Dec 9, 2010 @ 09:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Jan 1, 70 01:00

@ robi, I've gone to palais mascott a few times and enjoyed it. I've watched the show and then after enjoyed the tunes both upstairs and downstairs. Haven't encountered sleaziness at all.. or just go the the music on both floors..

@ robi, I've gone to palais mascott a few times and enjoyed it. I've watched the show and then after enjoyed the tunes both upstairs and downstairs. Haven't encountered sleaziness at all.. or just go the the music on both floors..

BCROVER, Dec 9, 2010 @ 10:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Go to Usine.........It's wicked.

Go to Usine.........It's wicked.

Lexi B, Dec 9, 2010 @ 11:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hey Ansu,

BCRover

Dec 9, 10 09:05

Oh oh oh.... been to Palais Mascotte last week and I have to say I did not enjoy at all the music, old 70's tunes upstairs, and old fashioned french songs downstairs... dear Lord. I much more enjoy the SIP

Oh oh oh.... been to Palais Mascotte last week and I have to say I did not enjoy at all the music, old 70's tunes upstairs, and old fashioned french songs downstairs... dear Lord. I much more enjoy the SIP

Ines E, Dec 9, 2010 @ 11:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Dec 9, 10 11:37

SIP often seems to have problems in  their "selection" criteria of clients.  Undecided

SIP often seems to have problems in  their "selection" criteria of clients.  Undecided

Translator, Dec 9, 2010 @ 11:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Dec 9, 10 11:50

Yessss true, that's the not-so-funny part of it .... 

Yessss true, that's the not-so-funny part of it .... 

Ines E, Dec 9, 2010 @ 11:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

It's not that am comparing Geneva to New York, it's just that the differences are huge. 

When you would work hard all week and can't wait for Thursday to come to start the party, then you are willing to party and work and party and work all weekend (like i did) till sunday and sleep all day - then, you come to work/study and there's nothing to look forward to, the sadness kicks in.

Sorry for sounding down guys but it's the closest to the truth i could get.

I love Geneva and all but i developed a bad habit in the States called DANCING

Now am looking for my fix!

Like the group LUCY PEARL says:

"I wanna dance tonight, i wanna to toss tonight, i'll spend ma money tonight, i wan get freaky tonight........ "

la la la laaaa

I want to improve my dance skills

It's not that am comparing Geneva to New York, it's just that the differences are huge. 

When you would work hard all week and can't wait for Thursday to come to start the party, then you are willing to party and work and party and work all weekend (like i did) till sunday and sleep all day - then, you come to work/study and there's nothing to look forward to, the sadness kicks in.

Sorry for sounding down guys but it's the closest to the truth i could get.

I love Geneva and all but i developed a bad habit in the States called DANCING

Now am looking for my fix!

Like the group LUCY PEARL says:

"I wanna dance tonight, i wanna to toss tonight, i'll spend ma money tonight, i wan get freaky tonight........ "

la la la laaaa

I want to improve my dance skills

Ansu K, Dec 9, 2010 @ 13:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

What would be the best club solution for the New Year Eve? Any tips?:))

Stasia M, Dec 10, 2010 @ 10:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Geneva will never be NY, and definately not Vegas.. but it doesnt have to be this tragic in the club scene either.   Serious people =  boring clubs....  There is more than enough money in this city to make chic swanky places.. they just end up going all wrong.

Unfortunately Geneva clubs are for babysitters...American clubs tend to cater to our age range by making things too expensive for the children

Geneva will never be NY, and definately not Vegas.. but it doesnt have to be this tragic in the club scene either.   Serious people =  boring clubs....  There is more than enough money in this city to make chic swanky places.. they just end up going all wrong.

Unfortunately Geneva clubs are for babysitters...American clubs tend to cater to our age range by making things too expensive for the children

Lexillent, Dec 10, 2010 @ 10:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Dec 10, 10 10:16

Go to Java...and watch the 16 to 20 year olds spending over CHF2000 on a GIANT BOTTLE OF VODKA...

Here (sadly) its not about money making things accessible (or inaccessible) since there is an abundance of cash here.... its about willingness to party hard...at the weekends most people leave the city for the mountains, so try the Farm Club in Verbier...and you'll see adults kicking off the weeks stresses..

Le Sip, seems to have a more average age range than Java or Platinum at the weekends ..although I agree its a bit warehousy.

For the NY type club that plays trendy NY House etc.... havent found one...if anyone does... tell me and Ill take you and buy the first round.

Go to Java...and watch the 16 to 20 year olds spending over CHF2000 on a GIANT BOTTLE OF VODKA...

Here (sadly) its not about money making things accessible (or inaccessible) since there is an abundance of cash here.... its about willingness to party hard...at the weekends most people leave the city for the mountains, so try the Farm Club in Verbier...and you'll see adults kicking off the weeks stresses..

Le Sip, seems to have a more average age range than Java or Platinum at the weekends ..although I agree its a bit warehousy.

For the NY type club that plays trendy NY House etc.... havent found one...if anyone does... tell me and Ill take you and buy the first round.

Charlie, Dec 10, 2010 @ 10:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Dec 10, 10 10:03

depends on your budget Stasia...and how many people you will be... and whether you want to eat there or not etc etc..

Check "things to do", I saw one club already advertising an all night event, otherwise consider the mountains for a experience in the snow.

Budmo / Sláinte

Charlie

depends on your budget Stasia...and how many people you will be... and whether you want to eat there or not etc etc..

Check "things to do", I saw one club already advertising an all night event, otherwise consider the mountains for a experience in the snow.

Budmo / Sláinte

Charlie

Charlie, Dec 10, 2010 @ 10:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Difference in the US charlie.. Men are less likely to finance the babies

Difference in the US charlie.. Men are less likely to finance the babies

Lexillent, Dec 10, 2010 @ 10:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Makes me miss nights like this..

Makes me miss nights like this..

Lexillent, Dec 10, 2010 @ 10:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Thank you Charlie. I used to go to Java and Platinum when I was living in GE three years ago. Average age was around 30 as I remember:))

I'll be off to Val Thorens on the 1st of Jan, so Verbier doesn't really make sense. I'll check your link, thanks:)) Looking for a place to dance rather then eat. And.. not overpaied:))

Thank you Charlie. I used to go to Java and Platinum when I was living in GE three years ago. Average age was around 30 as I remember:))

I'll be off to Val Thorens on the 1st of Jan, so Verbier doesn't really make sense. I'll check your link, thanks:)) Looking for a place to dance rather then eat. And.. not overpaied:))

Stasia M, Dec 10, 2010 @ 11:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Dec 10, 10 11:33

Stasia ...I woudl advise to then check if Sip is doing anything...

Java and Plat have very low average ages at the weekends... better on a thurs night for the 27-45 range...

At NY it may all be different...I cant say coz i have never done a NY in central Gva before.

Bon Chance

Stasia ...I woudl advise to then check if Sip is doing anything...

Java and Plat have very low average ages at the weekends... better on a thurs night for the 27-45 range...

At NY it may all be different...I cant say coz i have never done a NY in central Gva before.

Bon Chance

Charlie, Dec 10, 2010 @ 11:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Dec 10, 10 10:24

Olivier Chamla at Platinum plays really decent music Charlie. They also have famous guest DJs over every now and then.

Olivier Chamla at Platinum plays really decent music Charlie. They also have famous guest DJs over every now and then.

catalin, Dec 10, 2010 @ 12:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Dec 10, 10 11:33

Check out Buddha Bar as well, they are doing something for NY and older crowd from what i've seen.

Check out Buddha Bar as well, they are doing something for NY and older crowd from what i've seen.

catalin, Dec 10, 2010 @ 12:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Dec 10, 10 12:31

Thx mate.. Ive yet to grace that one... maybe next weekend I think...

Thx mate.. Ive yet to grace that one... maybe next weekend I think...

Charlie, Dec 10, 2010 @ 13:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20
Will someone pls tell Ansu about tonight's Xmas Ball? If I do I'll be blamed for promoting my own stuff. When you tell about the ball, you can include the link http://www.sindy.ch/Xmas-Ball-2010.htm
Will someone pls tell Ansu about tonight's Xmas Ball? If I do I'll be blamed for promoting my own stuff. When you tell about the ball, you can include the link http://www.sindy.ch/Xmas-Ball-2010.htm
Nir Ofek, Dec 10, 2010 @ 14:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21
Dec 10, 10 14:24

It's not tonight it's tomorrow. You don't even know when your own ball is. You really need to stop taking that stuff ;) Oh and you're grounded, no ball for you!

It's not tonight it's tomorrow. You don't even know when your own ball is. You really need to stop taking that stuff ;) Oh and you're grounded, no ball for you!

catalin, Dec 10, 2010 @ 14:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

@Nir, ahem Nir check the second post at the start of this thread!!

@Nir, ahem Nir check the second post at the start of this thread!!

BCROVER, Dec 10, 2010 @ 14:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (all in caps!)

You Muppet Nir...we luv ya , but that was a spectacular fuck up!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (all in caps!)

You Muppet Nir...we luv ya , but that was a spectacular fuck up!

Charlie, Dec 10, 2010 @ 14:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Make our own club...easy...

Make our own club...easy...

Charlie, Dec 10, 2010 @ 15:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Thank you Catalin:)

Charlie, pls. tell me what do you think about Buddha Bar as soon as you'll check it :))))

Thank you Catalin:)

Charlie, pls. tell me what do you think about Buddha Bar as soon as you'll check it :))))

Stasia M, Dec 10, 2010 @ 16:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Ansu is a terrific dancer ;)

I stop going to Platinum for ages but now that they open the Gold ( same club, but different acces and reserve for 30 and more), I would say is one of my favorti club again.

If you want to change style and if you like house music, there s a new club in Paquis : Stereo club ( ex Must).Luluxpo mixed there last weekend and it was great.

Palais Mascote is a "cabaret" but not the kind you can expect in Paquis, you have live show ( wizard,juggler,humourist and very soft erotic show) stopping around 1, then it become a club.

There s also Petit Palace, where I always have fun time.

I stop going to Platinum for ages but now that they open the Gold ( same club, but different acces and reserve for 30 and more), I would say is one of my favorti club again.

If you want to change style and if you like house music, there s a new club in Paquis : Stereo club ( ex Must).Luluxpo mixed there last weekend and it was great.

Palais Mascote is a "cabaret" but not the kind you can expect in Paquis, you have live show ( wizard,juggler,humourist and very soft erotic show) stopping around 1, then it become a club.

Tryky, Dec 11, 2010 @ 00:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

hi!

here some tips hope it will help:

once a month you have a red zone party at the hotel richemond. music is nice with sometimes live performer singing. it is a bit push but if you go with a nice group it is good!

otherwise sip on thursday is good

and definitely in summer time outside club like the terrasses du platinum or the roof of the metropole is good for nice dancing sessions.

or if you like latin music  try some nice salsa parties

personally if you like to dance you dance everywhere even if you bathroom:-)

hi!

here some tips hope it will help:

once a month you have a red zone party at the hotel richemond. music is nice with sometimes live performer singing. it is a bit push but if you go with a nice group it is good!

otherwise sip on thursday is good

and definitely in summer time outside club like the terrasses du platinum or the roof of the metropole is good for nice dancing sessions.

or if you like latin music  try some nice salsa parties

personally if you like to dance you dance everywhere even if you bathroom:-)

110V, Dec 12, 2010 @ 20:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Ansu, 

I'd say it depends what kind of dancing you're after, but my advice would be to pick your style, find your niche and stick to it. Like many people have already said, the nightclubs in Geneva aren't the best... I dance salsa and I know there are many places to dance salsa in Geneva as well as occasional big parties, and everyone is serious about dancing! My housemate dances tango and she also knows the places to go in Geneva and dance tango, it seems people are serious about that too! There's also places that play Brazilian music and where you can dance with lots of other people, no one will stare at you, we all love dancing too! I know I've just mentioned a load of latin dances but anyway believe me, I love to dance and I've found my niche here :-) There's also some excellent dance schools and studios around... Not quite what you asked, but good luck! 

Ansu, 

I'd say it depends what kind of dancing you're after, but my advice would be to pick your style, find your niche and stick to it. Like many people have already said, the nightclubs in Geneva aren't the best... I dance salsa and I know there are many places to dance salsa in Geneva as well as occasional big parties, and everyone is serious about dancing! My housemate dances tango and she also knows the places to go in Geneva and dance tango, it seems people are serious about that too! There's also places that play Brazilian music and where you can dance with lots of other people, no one will stare at you, we all love dancing too! I know I've just mentioned a load of latin dances but anyway believe me, I love to dance and I've found my niche here :-) There's also some excellent dance schools and studios around... Not quite what you asked, but good luck! 

Emma B, Dec 12, 2010 @ 20:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Dec 11, 10 00:33

I have to disagree with my friend Patrick on this one. Petit Palace staff was extremely rude with our group, friend had her purse stolen, crowd looked extremely dodgy... I would never go back there.

I have to disagree with my friend Patrick on this one. Petit Palace staff was extremely rude with our group, friend had her purse stolen, crowd looked extremely dodgy... I would never go back there.

catalin, Dec 12, 2010 @ 20:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Dec 12, 10 20:27

No risk No fun...

I m sorry for your friend.

No risk No fun...

I m sorry for your friend.

Tryky, Dec 12, 2010 @ 20:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Ansu K, I feel the same, I've been here in Lausanne for several years, coming from Paris.

and yes I agree, people do not really DANCE, but nevermind just dance if you enjoy the music! also it depends on the music you're looking for Salsa, Latin, Tango dansing people are very active around here, there are some afro parties as well, I just did not find any good house music (as it's the sound i'm resonating to)  clubs here.. mainly commercial ones (like MAD or D)... and ppl not passionately dancing, just drunk dancing or staring.

As I was annoyed of this, I started a party recently (moving in various bars in Lausanne) where I play the music i'd love to hear more often in "clubs"  and "try" to encourage people to dance you're more than welcome! I am playing some NY vibe house music  (I'm going to NYC for the Body & Soul/Libation party regularly, may be you know it!)

listen to the music and tell me if you like it:

http://soundcloud.com/eric-a/ssp2

I can tell you, when is the next party, you're more than welcome! i need to see people who dance and enjoy the music!

cheers mate and keep the vibe, btw we can share a drink around Lausanne if you want, i'd be glad to meet another lost dancer like myself ;)

Peace,

Eric.

NB: i'm new to glocals, nice to meet you all guys, looking forward to meet some of you!

Ansu K, I feel the same, I've been here in Lausanne for several years, coming from Paris.

and yes I agree, people do not really DANCE, but nevermind just dance if you enjoy the music! also it depends on the music you're looking for Salsa, Latin, Tango dansing people are very active around here, there are some afro parties as well, I just did not find any good house music (as it's the sound i'm resonating to)  clubs here.. mainly commercial ones (like MAD or D)... and ppl not passionately dancing, just drunk dancing or staring.

As I was annoyed of this, I started a party recently (moving in various bars in Lausanne) where I play the music i'd love to hear more often in "clubs"  and "try" to encourage people to dance you're more than welcome! I am playing some NY vibe house music  (I'm going to NYC for the Body & Soul/Libation party regularly, may be you know it!)

listen to the music and tell me if you like it:

http://soundcloud.com/eric-a/ssp2

I can tell you, when is the next party, you're more than welcome! i need to see people who dance and enjoy the music!

cheers mate and keep the vibe, btw we can share a drink around Lausanne if you want, i'd be glad to meet another lost dancer like myself ;)

Peace,

Eric.

NB: i'm new to glocals, nice to meet you all guys, looking forward to meet some of you!

Eric A, Dec 19, 2010 @ 03:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

I have been in London for about a week and i must say that, even-though it's a bit crazy here, i LOVE the energy and feeling that people do enjoy life. Yes there is better living and opportunities and all that good and boring stuff. I would still like to dance freely......i mean with others...you know, just enjoying life to it's best (not fullest). So i decided to have all the fun i can here in London and then back to work in Geneva as usual till the next time i get the chance at this crazy drunken party land of dancers (bad dancers but dancers)

I love Geneva for all it's assets and i mean all of them but i really need to get back to reality every once in a while. This is the land of the middle and upper class....in reality, there are lower, middle and upper class. you know, to create balance.

I mean, i can just imagine being brought up in Geneva then go to New York with all the education and no street-smart knowledge, it is horrifying in my opinion.  (to live, not visit!)

Well, smell you soon Geneva, am sure you smell better than London

I have been in London for about a week and i must say that, even-though it's a bit crazy here, i LOVE the energy and feeling that people do enjoy life. Yes there is better living and opportunities and all that good and boring stuff. I would still like to dance freely......i mean with others...you know, just enjoying life to it's best (not fullest). So i decided to have all the fun i can here in London and then back to work in Geneva as usual till the next time i get the chance at this crazy drunken party land of dancers (bad dancers but dancers)

I love Geneva for all it's assets and i mean all of them but i really need to get back to reality every once in a while. This is the land of the middle and upper class....in reality, there are lower, middle and upper class. you know, to create balance.

I mean, i can just imagine being brought up in Geneva then go to New York with all the education and no street-smart knowledge, it is horrifying in my opinion.  (to live, not visit!)

Well, smell you soon Geneva, am sure you smell better than London

Ansu K, Dec 22, 2010 @ 17:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
32 Replies | 2409 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form