Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > From New York City to Geneva!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
From New York City to Geneva!

Hello!

My name is Liz Nicholson and I'm new to Glocals, I joined because my husband and I will be living in Geneva this summer and we are searching for an apartment to rent during the summer months.

My husband is a law student at NYU and has an internship with the ILC at the U.N. We are both very excited to experience Switzerland and the fun adventures it has to offer.

If anyone knows of any apartments available in Geneva during the summer months, it would be great to hear about it! Thank you, and I can't wait to visit this beautiful country!

-Liz

The text you are quoting:

Hello!

My name is Liz Nicholson and I'm new to Glocals, I joined because my husband and I will be living in Geneva this summer and we are searching for an apartment to rent during the summer months.

My husband is a law student at NYU and has an internship with the ILC at the U.N. We are both very excited to experience Switzerland and the fun adventures it has to offer.

If anyone knows of any apartments available in Geneva during the summer months, it would be great to hear about it! Thank you, and I can't wait to visit this beautiful country!

-Liz

Liz NicholsonMar 1, 2011 @ 20:12
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 836 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: From New York City to Geneva!
Post 1

Hi Liz - I originally hail from NJ but have lived in PA and OH, and we're now in Geneva for the next couple years. We've been here for about 1 1/2 months, and it's been fun discovering the beautiful places here. It's wonderful with France being so close, and literally, you will be surrounded by picturesque sights. Get a good camera before you come:-)

Here's a couple of websites that another friend hooked us up with. Search around and get a feel for where you might want to be and what it's going to cost you. I currently live just around the way from the UN center:) Good luck and happy hunting! If you want to hear a familiar back-east voice when you arrive, contact me then:-)

www.homegate.ch

www.immostreet.ch

www.immoscout24.ch

www.spg.ch

All should have a translate button (look up in top right corners for EN or UK flag), and "a louer" means "to rent." I always open the google translate box(http://translate.google.com/ next to the website and copy and paste - works great - unless you're already fluent in French:)

Hi Liz - I originally hail from NJ but have lived in PA and OH, and we're now in Geneva for the next couple years. We've been here for about 1 1/2 months, and it's been fun discovering the beautiful places here. It's wonderful with France being so close, and literally, you will be surrounded by picturesque sights. Get a good camera before you come:-)

Here's a couple of websites that another friend hooked us up with. Search around and get a feel for where you might want to be and what it's going to cost you. I currently live just around the way from the UN center:) Good luck and happy hunting! If you want to hear a familiar back-east voice when you arrive, contact me then:-)

www.homegate.ch

www.immostreet.ch

www.immoscout24.ch

www.spg.ch

All should have a translate button (look up in top right corners for EN or UK flag), and "a louer" means "to rent." I always open the google translate box(http://translate.google.com/ next to the website and copy and paste - works great - unless you're already fluent in French:)

Natalie L, Mar 9, 2011 @ 10:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

In just playing around on here, I came across another forum thread you may want to check out for apt info, to prepare yourself:

http://www.glocals.com/#/forums/geneva/where-how-in-geneva/Learning-about-short-term-furnished-apt-rental-117632.htm

I saw a couple other threads under "Geneva" forums abt apt hunting. Are you guys responsible to find a place on your home, or is the university assisting at all?

In just playing around on here, I came across another forum thread you may want to check out for apt info, to prepare yourself:

http://www.glocals.com/#/forums/geneva/where-how-in-geneva/Learning-about-short-term-furnished-apt-rental-117632.htm

I saw a couple other threads under "Geneva" forums abt apt hunting. Are you guys responsible to find a place on your home, or is the university assisting at all?

Natalie L, Mar 9, 2011 @ 10:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks so much for your help! I'm glad you're enjoying your stay. I'm sure we will as well ... once we figure out the whole housing situation. :)

Unfortunately, NYU doesn't assist at all in helping find housing. They give the students a (small) monetary stipend, but basically leave you to do the leg work. 

I'm not fluent in French and have become quite familiar with the google translate app., too! It's quite nice, actually! 

Thanks again for your help! It's nice to find a friendly voice on here and I'm always happy to hear from fellow east-coasters.  :) 

Thanks so much for your help! I'm glad you're enjoying your stay. I'm sure we will as well ... once we figure out the whole housing situation. :)

Unfortunately, NYU doesn't assist at all in helping find housing. They give the students a (small) monetary stipend, but basically leave you to do the leg work. 

I'm not fluent in French and have become quite familiar with the google translate app., too! It's quite nice, actually! 

Thanks again for your help! It's nice to find a friendly voice on here and I'm always happy to hear from fellow east-coasters.  :) 

Liz Nicholson, Mar 9, 2011 @ 13:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 836 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form