Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Geneva-Bound from the UK

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Geneva-Bound from the UK

Hi all! 

I'm a researcher at the University of Leeds, but have just been offered an internship at the International Labour Organisation in Geneva for six months, from July to December, so will be moving over from towards the end of June to find my way around etc. then. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things to do in or around Geneva, as well as what are considered the good areas to live etc/any housing tips etc? Being a typical Brit my French and German language skills are quite amateur, too, so if anyone knows of any expat English-speaking groups that regularly meet up in Geneva too, that would be great - would love to meet new people, being there by myself! 

Best,

Calum

The text you are quoting:

Hi all! 

I'm a researcher at the University of Leeds, but have just been offered an internship at the International Labour Organisation in Geneva for six months, from July to December, so will be moving over from towards the end of June to find my way around etc. then. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of things to do in or around Geneva, as well as what are considered the good areas to live etc/any housing tips etc? Being a typical Brit my French and German language skills are quite amateur, too, so if anyone knows of any expat English-speaking groups that regularly meet up in Geneva too, that would be great - would love to meet new people, being there by myself! 

Best,

Calum

Calum CarsonMay 24, 2016 @ 13:02
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 756 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Geneva-Bound from the UK
Post 1

No need to panic, Calum, Geneva and the UN organizations are full of expats who speak English either as their mother-tongue or as their second language of choice.  French is useful though, so learn at least a few words and phrases, and to count up to 20 asap.

If you click the “Groups” button you will be spoilt for choice for things to do and if you sign up for an activity you won’t be lonesome for long.

For accommodation, check the Classifieds where you can also place your own ad.

And perhaps also edit your glocals Profile where you say you come from Afghanistan!

Best wishes, R.

No need to panic, Calum, Geneva and the UN organizations are full of expats who speak English either as their mother-tongue or as their second language of choice.  French is useful though, so learn at least a few words and phrases, and to count up to 20 asap.

If you click the “Groups” button you will be spoilt for choice for things to do and if you sign up for an activity you won’t be lonesome for long.

For accommodation, check the Classifieds where you can also place your own ad.

And perhaps also edit your glocals Profile where you say you come from Afghanistan!

Best wishes, R.

Ritchie, May 24, 2016 @ 13:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Geneva-Bound from the UK
Post 2

Hi Ritchie,

That's great, thanks for the reassurance: it is greatly appreciated! I'll get started on the basics of French this evening, too.

Thanks for pointing out my profile mistake, too: the perils of setting up an account on my mobile!

Best wishes,

Calum

Hi Ritchie,

That's great, thanks for the reassurance: it is greatly appreciated! I'll get started on the basics of French this evening, too.

Thanks for pointing out my profile mistake, too: the perils of setting up an account on my mobile!

Best wishes,

Calum

Calum Carson, May 24, 2016 @ 16:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 756 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form