Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Haven't come to Geneva, don't like the place already!!!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Haven't come to Geneva, don't like the place already!!!

Hi 

I have a budget of 3600CHF a month for a property for myself. My relocation agent told me it can only be a studio in good location -- I want to be within walking distance to office in center Geneva. They basically showed me pic of two half decent studios and told me that is all I can pick from and I will get no more update for more property. 

I need to stay in a place where I can buy food late night 8 or 9 pm. If anyone can help me finding more property, highly appreciated. I will be in Geneva 1st July

Wei

The text you are quoting:

Hi 

I have a budget of 3600CHF a month for a property for myself. My relocation agent told me it can only be a studio in good location -- I want to be within walking distance to office in center Geneva. They basically showed me pic of two half decent studios and told me that is all I can pick from and I will get no more update for more property. 

I need to stay in a place where I can buy food late night 8 or 9 pm. If anyone can help me finding more property, highly appreciated. I will be in Geneva 1st July

Wei

Wei CJun 28, 2014 @ 11:19
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

50 Replies | 2822 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Haven't come to Geneva, don't like the place already!!!
Post 1

Hi Wei,

When are you going to arrive?

Hi Wei,

Ahmed Emara, Jun 28, 2014 @ 16:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Wei,

Jun 28, 14 16:22

Lucky guess: 1st of July...

Lucky guess: 1st of July...

Casuistik, Jun 28, 2014 @ 16:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Apparently the vacancy rate for apartments in Geneva is 0.1% [or was]. Today we had a visit from a young girl living there - she has been searching for an apartment for 8 months and hasn't found anything. Try living across the border in France. Less expensive and more availability, although you wont be able to walk to the office in the centre of town.

Apparently the vacancy rate for apartments in Geneva is 0.1% [or was]. Today we had a visit from a young girl living there - she has been searching for an apartment for 8 months and hasn't found anything. Try living across the border in France. Less expensive and more availability, although you wont be able to walk to the office in the centre of town.

sheila c, Jun 28, 2014 @ 16:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Actually I have no problem to have a room mate if somebody is interested

Actually I have no problem to have a room mate if somebody is interested

Ahmed Emara, Jun 28, 2014 @ 17:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi 

Wei

Jun 28, 14 11:19

3600 can get you a one bedroon flat easy. Check homegate or immoscout to get an idea

3600 can get you a one bedroon flat easy. Check homegate or immoscout to get an idea

Maria_, Jun 28, 2014 @ 18:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

You might need to define 'walking distance' - maybe 3600 CHF is the going price for a studio in the very very very centre, but I'd be staggered if you couldn't find a 1 bed for 2000 CHF a 15 min walk from your office. Geneva isn't THAT expensive!

You might need to define 'walking distance' - maybe 3600 CHF is the going price for a studio in the very very very centre, but I'd be staggered if you couldn't find a 1 bed for 2000 CHF a 15 min walk from your office. Geneva isn't THAT expensive!

moyse, Jun 28, 2014 @ 19:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I can’t imagine why anyone would want to live on the doorstep of his banking employer but if that’s your impelling need, please be aware that ALL the shops in the very centre of town are closed by 7-8 p.n. Monday through Friday (except Thursday),  5-6 p.n. Saturday, and all day Sunday.

However, if you can cope with an easy walk of between 10 and 15 minutes at the most, you’ll find convenience stores open in Plainpalais, Eaux-Vives, Pâquis, etc., and a fair selection of places to live that will suit your budget.

There’s an old adage “When in Rome, do as the Romans do” so if you want to work and live in Geneva,  why not consider adjusting to the pace and life-style of Geneva?  It shouldn't be too difficult if, as you claim, you’ve “survived” a year in Saudi.  What’s more, it certainly won’t do you any harm either.

Best wishes,

R.

I can’t imagine why anyone would want to live on the doorstep of his banking employer but if that’s your impelling need, please be aware that ALL the shops in the very centre of town are closed by 7-8 p.n. Monday through Friday (except Thursday),  5-6 p.n. Saturday, and all day Sunday.

However, if you can cope with an easy walk of between 10 and 15 minutes at the most, you’ll find convenience stores open in Plainpalais, Eaux-Vives, Pâquis, etc., and a fair selection of places to live that will suit your budget.

There’s an old adage “When in Rome, do as the Romans do” so if you want to work and live in Geneva,  why not consider adjusting to the pace and life-style of Geneva?  It shouldn't be too difficult if, as you claim, you’ve “survived” a year in Saudi.  What’s more, it certainly won’t do you any harm either.

Best wishes,

R.

Ritchie, Jun 28, 2014 @ 20:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thanks for the reply, and pointing out the areas to look for property. yes 10-15 minute walk is definitely within walking distance. I am not happy with the relocation agent. I know Geneva is expensive but CHF3600 is a good amount of money, maybe not so in Geneva. I am not happy with two studios presented to me, the agent didnt even take time to explain the situation to me like you did. 

Someone else suggested two websites. I am going to do some research myself, are those website all farely up-to-date?

Thanks for all the replies.

Wei

Thanks for the reply, and pointing out the areas to look for property. yes 10-15 minute walk is definitely within walking distance. I am not happy with the relocation agent. I know Geneva is expensive but CHF3600 is a good amount of money, maybe not so in Geneva. I am not happy with two studios presented to me, the agent didnt even take time to explain the situation to me like you did. 

Someone else suggested two websites. I am going to do some research myself, are those website all farely up-to-date?

Thanks for all the replies.

Wei

Wei C, Jun 29, 2014 @ 08:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Have you checked the ads on glocals ?  You can also post an ad. yourself.

Just click on the “Classifieds” button and follow the leads.

Best, R.

Have you checked the ads on glocals ?  You can also post an ad. yourself.

Just click on the “Classifieds” button and follow the leads.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Jun 29, 2014 @ 09:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Thanks, I wonder how late the public transport open til? If I leave a bit futher out from center Geneva, would I be able to get back home around 8 or 9 pm?

Thanks, I wonder how late the public transport open til? If I leave a bit futher out from center Geneva, would I be able to get back home around 8 or 9 pm?

Wei C, Jun 29, 2014 @ 10:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Jun 29, 14 10:28

I think public transport stays open till midnight  but i would suggest you, when you arrive in geneva you can buy a 50cc motorbike "used one" for in between 800chf to 2000chf and the best thing you wont need a license for it. Believe me you gonna love it and they city. 

I think public transport stays open till midnight  but i would suggest you, when you arrive in geneva you can buy a 50cc motorbike "used one" for in between 800chf to 2000chf and the best thing you wont need a license for it. Believe me you gonna love it and they city. 

waqas s, Jun 29, 2014 @ 11:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

A motorbike - good idea, that remind me of my student time. Cool

A motorbike - good idea, that remind me of my student time. Cool

Wei C, Jun 29, 2014 @ 11:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Jun 29, 14 10:28

Geneva’s public transport system – called “Transports public genevois” or “TPG” for short - is excellent, albeit not exactly cheap, but you can get a monthly or a yearly pass -- for which you will have to provide a couple of photos -- to save buying a ticket for each individual journey.  These passes will take you all over the canton, including the major border crossings.

Bus drivers do not issue tickets so you must have a valid ticket (or a pass) before boarding any vehicle.  Tickets can be bought from ticket machines at almost every stop, but if you do happen to  hop on a vehicle without a ticket, you can use your mobile phone to purchase one so long as you do it immediately.

Ticket inspectors make regular and frequent  spot checks, usually by boarding the vehicle between stops.  If you get caught, you will be asked to show ID and will also have to pay a hefty fine  (can’t remember how much exactly).

The TPG’s website is good for checking bus and tram lines and their current timetables.  It also gives their telephone number and retail outlets for purchasing passes, etc.    

Hope this will help you in your search for housing,

R.

Geneva’s public transport system – called “Transports public genevois” or “TPG” for short - is excellent, albeit not exactly cheap, but you can get a monthly or a yearly pass -- for which you will have to provide a couple of photos -- to save buying a ticket for each individual journey.  These passes will take you all over the canton, including the major border crossings.

Bus drivers do not issue tickets so you must have a valid ticket (or a pass) before boarding any vehicle.  Tickets can be bought from ticket machines at almost every stop, but if you do happen to  hop on a vehicle without a ticket, you can use your mobile phone to purchase one so long as you do it immediately.

Ticket inspectors make regular and frequent  spot checks, usually by boarding the vehicle between stops.  If you get caught, you will be asked to show ID and will also have to pay a hefty fine  (can’t remember how much exactly).

The TPG’s website is good for checking bus and tram lines and their current timetables.  It also gives their telephone number and retail outlets for purchasing passes, etc.    

Hope this will help you in your search for housing,

R.

Ritchie, Jun 29, 2014 @ 14:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Best wishes,

R.

Jun 28, 14 20:41

Dear Ritchie, 

Good comment - I have to point out that we have a Migros supermarket at the station now which is open until 

21 h

every day

Hooray!!!!!!

Dear Ritchie, 

Good comment - I have to point out that we have a Migros supermarket at the station now which is open until 

21 h

every day

Hooray!!!!!!

rena, Jun 29, 2014 @ 17:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

I am also a former expat, as I arrived with my parents from New York. It did take me long time to get used to the complexity of a small yet truly international city, where you can get by without even speaking a word of the local language or ever meeting with true Swiss people. But once you get used to it, its safety, cleanness, dimensions, ideal location right in the middle of Europe, it's hard to leave! 

I am also a former expat, as I arrived with my parents from New York. It did take me long time to get used to the complexity of a small yet truly international city, where you can get by without even speaking a word of the local language or ever meeting with true Swiss people. But once you get used to it, its safety, cleanness, dimensions, ideal location right in the middle of Europe, it's hard to leave! 

hay_, Jun 29, 2014 @ 18:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Dear Ritchie, 

21 h

every day

Hooray!!!!!!

Jun 29, 14 17:56

Thanks for the reminder, Rena.

Really, wonders and other mod cons never cease to emerge in this little old metropolis called Geneva.  Whatever will the authorities think of next?

Hopefully, a Denner next to the parent

Migros in 2015 or thereabout?

Best wishes, R.

Thanks for the reminder, Rena.

Really, wonders and other mod cons never cease to emerge in this little old metropolis called Geneva.  Whatever will the authorities think of next?

Hopefully, a Denner next to the parent

Migros in 2015 or thereabout?

Best wishes, R.

Ritchie, Jun 29, 2014 @ 18:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

How much is the monthly travel pass in Geneva?

Wei C, Jun 29, 2014 @ 18:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Jun 29, 14 18:58

There are several rates depending on the package, but a rough estimate would be between CHF 70 and 100 per month for unlimited travel throughout the canton.

There’s also a slightly reduced tariff for those under 24 years of age.

See www.tpg.ch for full details.

R.

There are several rates depending on the package, but a rough estimate would be between CHF 70 and 100 per month for unlimited travel throughout the canton.

R.

Ritchie, Jun 29, 2014 @ 20:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Honestly, your relocation agency guy is a dumbass. 

Never heard such stupid statements!

It is true that Geneva is extremely expensive but for CHF 3,600 you can have a good-standard 2 bedrooms appartement or a penthouse studio if you prefer somehting small.

If I had such a budget I would find some extremely decent accomodation.

Otherwise come to Ferney. It's nice and cozy and you have buses which go downtown Geneva. Plus you will save money on the rent.

It is true that Geneva is extremely expensive but for CHF 3,600 you can have a good-standard 2 bedrooms appartement or a penthouse studio if you prefer somehting small.

Otherwise come to Ferney. It's nice and cozy and you have buses which go downtown Geneva. Plus you will save money on the rent.

Richard B, Jun 29, 2014 @ 20:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Jun 29, 14 20:21

After searching online, I realize what my agent told me was total nonsense, I will let my HR manager know, not to use them again. I am looking for a decent apartment within 20 minute commute to Rue du Rhone early in the morning and late at night, preferrablly where I can easily find food!

Wei 

After searching online, I realize what my agent told me was total nonsense, I will let my HR manager know, not to use them again. I am looking for a decent apartment within 20 minute commute to Rue du Rhone early in the morning and late at night, preferrablly where I can easily find food!

Wei 

Wei C, Jun 29, 2014 @ 22:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

R.

Jun 29, 14 20:29

Greate, so transport is cheaper than London, I am currently paying GBP130 a month.

Greate, so transport is cheaper than London, I am currently paying GBP130 a month.

Wei C, Jun 29, 2014 @ 22:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Well, the TPG network covers an area that is probably much smaller than even TFL's zone 1, and part of it are villages in the middle of nowhere, so there's that...

Well, the TPG network covers an area that is probably much smaller than even TFL's zone 1, and part of it are villages in the middle of nowhere, so there's that...

Paul D, Jun 29, 2014 @ 22:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

near rue du rhone...

So...try

these  neighbourhood: eaux-vives, pâquis, oldtown.plainpalais, jonction,

near rue du rhone...

So...try

Talk to me about jazz O, Jun 29, 2014 @ 23:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

near rue du rhone...

So...try

Jun 29, 14 23:52

Apart from this Glocals, Immoscout and homegate, is there anywhere else I can search for property. I can only rent for 4 months to start with, would that put landlord off?

Apart from this Glocals, Immoscout and homegate, is there anywhere else I can search for property. I can only rent for 4 months to start with, would that put landlord off?

Wei C, Jun 30, 2014 @ 00:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Unfortunately yes. Most landlords would prefer to rent for more than that. You can sublet something or go for a serviced appartment

Unfortunately yes. Most landlords would prefer to rent for more than that. You can sublet something or go for a serviced appartment

Maria_, Jun 30, 2014 @ 09:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Jun 29, 14 22:23

Well, Geneva is tiny compared to London. R.

Well, Geneva is tiny compared to London. R.

Ritchie, Jun 30, 2014 @ 12:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Hi 

Wei

Jun 28, 14 11:19

What a silly statement! Check Homegate for instance for appartments between CHF 1'000 and 3'500, 3 to 5 rooms (room = kitchen + living room + sleeping rooms) near the UN.

Good luck!

What a silly statement! Check Homegate for instance for appartments between CHF 1'000 and 3'500, 3 to 5 rooms (room = kitchen + living room + sleeping rooms) near the UN.

Good luck!

Free, Jun 30, 2014 @ 14:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Urbanmarket.ch

Rue Jean-violette 3

Rue Montchoisy 12

Rue des Alpes

is a supermarket chain open till 22h 7 days a week (but don't quote me on that). In any case they open later and longer than other supermarkets and but won't have the full range.

3600chf for a studio is a joke. You should be able to get at least a 3 bedroom for that price!

Urbanmarket.ch

Rue Jean-violette 3

Rue Montchoisy 12

Rue des Alpes

is a supermarket chain open till 22h 7 days a week (but don't quote me on that). In any case they open later and longer than other supermarkets and but won't have the full range.

3600chf for a studio is a joke. You should be able to get at least a 3 bedroom for that price!

Livia C, Jun 30, 2014 @ 21:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

tpg monthly bus/tram is 70chf, if you buy the yearly abonnement it's 700chf (you get 2 months for free).

tpg monthly bus/tram is 70chf, if you buy the yearly abonnement it's 700chf (you get 2 months for free).

Livia C, Jun 30, 2014 @ 21:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

I wouldn´t be surprised, if the relocation agent´s fee was in proportion to the rent of the flat.. having used two different agents, it was my impression on both occasions. Both did, however, provide local info and practical written guidance for the area - although the second agent refused to give any information at all on a neighboring area (I must  presume a non-compete agreement). Worth 2000CHF? For a company, yes. For a private person, who can google, that´s very debatable.

I wouldn´t be surprised, if the relocation agent´s fee was in proportion to the rent of the flat.. having used two different agents, it was my impression on both occasions. Both did, however, provide local info and practical written guidance for the area - although the second agent refused to give any information at all on a neighboring area (I must  presume a non-compete agreement). Worth 2000CHF? For a company, yes. For a private person, who can google, that´s very debatable.

FerneyL, Jun 30, 2014 @ 23:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Hello Wei,

We are running a house hunting/relocation service in Geneva ourselves and with a budget of 3600 chf you can find indeed a very good property in Geneva..  Also if you are looking for furnitured apartment you would be able to find a 1 bedroom apartment at least!!!

Feel free to contact me and I can show you a list of off markets properties that are available directly with or without furniture..

And we only charge upon result!

Good luck,

Raymond

Hello Wei,

We are running a house hunting/relocation service in Geneva ourselves and with a budget of 3600 chf you can find indeed a very good property in Geneva..  Also if you are looking for furnitured apartment you would be able to find a 1 bedroom apartment at least!!!

Feel free to contact me and I can show you a list of off markets properties that are available directly with or without furniture..

And we only charge upon result!

Good luck,

Raymond

rharmeling, Jul 1, 2014 @ 10:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

Your relocation agent  is not being hontest. I am staying in a one bed room apartment pretty much in the city center and my monthly rent is 2000 chf. The reference price for rent has also gone down quite a bit in the past years. Geneva property rental market is quite distorted, some people pay peanuts and expats ususally get higher price, but 3600 chf for s studio is really too much. Try another agent maybe.

Your relocation agent  is not being hontest. I am staying in a one bed room apartment pretty much in the city center and my monthly rent is 2000 chf. The reference price for rent has also gone down quite a bit in the past years. Geneva property rental market is quite distorted, some people pay peanuts and expats ususally get higher price, but 3600 chf for s studio is really too much. Try another agent maybe.

Ankai, Jul 1, 2014 @ 13:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

Wei 

Jun 29, 14 22:17

Are you talking 3'600 CHF of buget allocated only to your housing or to the total of your expenses? Because if they understood that your total spending budget is 3'600 (or if that is in fact the case) it is normal that they only showed you crappy studios. In order to insure that a person can pay their rent, they don't allow a rent higher than 1/3 of the total salary! (unless you have a person who becomes your guarantor)

Also, it's very sad to say you hate a place before even seeing it! So thank you Ritchie for your wise comments :-)

Are you talking 3'600 CHF of buget allocated only to your housing or to the total of your expenses? Because if they understood that your total spending budget is 3'600 (or if that is in fact the case) it is normal that they only showed you crappy studios. In order to insure that a person can pay their rent, they don't allow a rent higher than 1/3 of the total salary! (unless you have a person who becomes your guarantor)

Also, it's very sad to say you hate a place before even seeing it! So thank you Ritchie for your wise comments :-)

Noemi M, Jul 1, 2014 @ 14:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

Wei 

Jun 29, 14 22:17

You keep insisting on "where I can find food" ?

Most apartments come with a fridge that store food, so you could do your shopping on the weekends (working weekends is actually illegal here) or you can get take-aways (ie Globus, pizzas, . . .) and then there are restaurants . . . many even have menus in Englisch !!

Maybe rent a place with a terrace/balcony where you could grow some stuff ?

You'll find food is plentiful in Switzerland !

Have added a reference to one of the hottest late night canteens . . . .

You keep insisting on "where I can find food" ?

Most apartments come with a fridge that store food, so you could do your shopping on the weekends (working weekends is actually illegal here) or you can get take-aways (ie Globus, pizzas, . . .) and then there are restaurants . . . many even have menus in Englisch !!

Maybe rent a place with a terrace/balcony where you could grow some stuff ?

You'll find food is plentiful in Switzerland !

Have added a reference to one of the hottest late night canteens . . . .

Poster, Jul 1, 2014 @ 16:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

I, too, had noticed the  preoccupation with food.

As others have mentioned, Geneva has restaurants for all tastes and pockets from MacDo to 5+ star hotels, as well as take-aways, home delivery services,  frozen food, ready-made meals … we don’t go hungry here.

Moreover, if you can afford CHF 3500 on rent, Wei, you’ll certainly be able to pay a locally resident Asian cook who’ll be happy to prepare your meals at home.

As others have mentioned, Geneva has restaurants for all tastes and pockets from MacDo to 5+ star hotels, as well as take-aways, home delivery services,  frozen food, ready-made meals … we don’t go hungry here.

Moreover, if you can afford CHF 3500 on rent, Wei, you’ll certainly be able to pay a locally resident Asian cook who’ll be happy to prepare your meals at home.

Ritchie, Jul 1, 2014 @ 18:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

Jul 1, 14 18:06

Ha, Ritchie, you have to understand a Chinese stomach. Food comes first in the priortiy list Cool

Ha, Ritchie, you have to understand a Chinese stomach. Food comes first in the priortiy list Cool

Ankai, Jul 2, 2014 @ 09:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

Jul 2, 14 09:21

Ah, so.

In reply,  many a quip springs to mind but since there’s also many a slip between the cup and the lip,  I’ll refrain from spoiling your brunch.

Bon app.!  

R.

Ah, so.

In reply,  many a quip springs to mind but since there’s also many a slip between the cup and the lip,  I’ll refrain from spoiling your brunch.

Bon app.!  

R.

Ritchie, Jul 2, 2014 @ 09:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

Jun 29, 14 22:23

London is ten times the size buddy

London is ten times the size buddy

John Goodfellow, Jul 21, 2014 @ 14:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

N'Importe quoi! You can easily get a 3 room flat ( yes, in a nice area) with suh a budget. I say change your relocation agent. Presto! Best one is Sigma Relocation;

www.sigmarelocation,ch, Tel : +41 22 707 6510
Fax : +41 22 707 6519
[email protected]

Ask to talk to Diana or Kristine and refer to me. They will give you top service. Guaranteed! Good luck. Best - Eva 

N'Importe quoi! You can easily get a 3 room flat ( yes, in a nice area) with suh a budget. I say change your relocation agent. Presto! Best one is Sigma Relocation;

www.sigmarelocation,ch, Tel : +41 22 707 6510
Fax : +41 22 707 6519
[email protected]

Ask to talk to Diana or Kristine and refer to me. They will give you top service. Guaranteed! Good luck. Best - Eva 

Eva D, Jul 21, 2014 @ 18:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40

Ps. Best areas for late-night 24/7 grocery shopping is Eaux-Vives andPacquis (where you will also find the best bars and restaurants). Avoid Champel at all cost, where there is virtually NOTHING available anywhere anytime after 6 p.m.  

Ps. Best areas for late-night 24/7 grocery shopping is Eaux-Vives andPacquis (where you will also find the best bars and restaurants). Avoid Champel at all cost, where there is virtually NOTHING available anywhere anytime after 6 p.m.  

Eva D, Jul 21, 2014 @ 18:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

At least wo stores in Champel: a gas station and bureau-de-tabac, both with food and drinks (till 22h maybe even later for the bdt)... Not much, but not exactly nothing.

And "soon", a train station!

At least wo stores in Champel: a gas station and bureau-de-tabac, both with food and drinks (till 22h maybe even later for the bdt)... Not much, but not exactly nothing.

And "soon", a train station!

Casuistik, Jul 21, 2014 @ 19:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42

Champel has made enormous strides.  At one time, there wasn’t even a tearoom, let alone a café in the district.

And only one or two small grocery stores, ’cos in those days the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker, and all delivered to the service entrance of residential buildings where the concièrge would take in the precious parcels.

It was also a time when the son of a dressmaker could earn a honest 50 centimes now and then for personally delivering a last-minute creation for “Madame XYZ” to parade in at the opera o the Beau-Rivage that evening.

Happy days ???

Champel has made enormous strides.  At one time, there wasn’t even a tearoom, let alone a café in the district.

And only one or two small grocery stores, ’cos in those days the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker, and all delivered to the service entrance of residential buildings where the concièrge would take in the precious parcels.

It was also a time when the son of a dressmaker could earn a honest 50 centimes now and then for personally delivering a last-minute creation for “Madame XYZ” to parade in at the opera o the Beau-Rivage that evening.

Happy days ???

Ritchie, Jul 21, 2014 @ 20:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43

Sounds a bit unusual. I am paying about the same as your budget for an independent villa very close to Carouge. Infact I will soon be moving out and will look for a replacement tenant. 

Sounds a bit unusual. I am paying about the same as your budget for an independent villa very close to Carouge. Infact I will soon be moving out and will look for a replacement tenant. 

Manish M, Jul 22, 2014 @ 11:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 44

Jun 29, 14 20:21

haha. i agree. I was like, 3600 for a studio? I live in a one bedroom apartment which I love, and it's near the gare, the UN, everything, and it's just 1,500 with the charges! The two bedroom apartment below us which was just recently taken, was going for 1,800-2,000 only! and it has a garden!

haha. i agree. I was like, 3600 for a studio? I live in a one bedroom apartment which I love, and it's near the gare, the UN, everything, and it's just 1,500 with the charges! The two bedroom apartment below us which was just recently taken, was going for 1,800-2,000 only! and it has a garden!

Anni Vi T, Jul 22, 2014 @ 12:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 45

CHANGE YOUR RELOCATION AGENT FOR SURE! 
Please don't settle for anything studio scale at that rate. 
With a 3.6k budget you can get much more than a studio and aim for a nice neighbourhood as well. The only thing you won't get even if you paid 10k/month is a proper supermarket open in this town after 9pm! 
If you happen to need nice and affordable furniture, shoot me a message, I've got everything needed to kit out and get you settled in your future home. 
Regards. 

CHANGE YOUR RELOCATION AGENT FOR SURE! 
Please don't settle for anything studio scale at that rate. 
With a 3.6k budget you can get much more than a studio and aim for a nice neighbourhood as well. The only thing you won't get even if you paid 10k/month is a proper supermarket open in this town after 9pm! 
If you happen to need nice and affordable furniture, shoot me a message, I've got everything needed to kit out and get you settled in your future home. 
Regards. 

giankee, Jul 22, 2014 @ 18:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 46

maybe the guy thought 3500 was your salary. You can get a 3 br for that amount in a nice neighbourhood. Studios generally go for around 1000-2000 but then 1br go for around 1500-2000 too so sometimes it is better to get the 1br. all depends on neighbourhood. Plus rue du rhone has such good public transport you can comfortably comute for 20 mins from most parts of Geneva.

maybe the guy thought 3500 was your salary. You can get a 3 br for that amount in a nice neighbourhood. Studios generally go for around 1000-2000 but then 1br go for around 1500-2000 too so sometimes it is better to get the 1br. all depends on neighbourhood. Plus rue du rhone has such good public transport you can comfortably comute for 20 mins from most parts of Geneva.

Marcy S, Jul 23, 2014 @ 00:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 47

Hello Ritchie, 

Many thanks for your advice on TPG. Can you please elaborate how to buy bus ticket through the cell phone? Manty thanks. Aamir.  

Hello Ritchie, 

Many thanks for your advice on TPG. Can you please elaborate how to buy bus ticket through the cell phone? Manty thanks. Aamir.  

Aamir Saeed, Jul 23, 2014 @ 16:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 48

Hello Ritchie, 

Jul 23, 14 16:37

Google Transports publics genevois (or “TPG”) or telephone – they have English speakers on the staff.  Or visit one of their sales outlets, i.e., Cornavin railway station or the “roundabout” at Rive.

Hope this helps, R.

Google Transports publics genevois (or “TPG”) or telephone – they have English speakers on the staff.  Or visit one of their sales outlets, i.e., Cornavin railway station or the “roundabout” at Rive.

Hope this helps, R.

Ritchie, Jul 23, 2014 @ 16:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 49

Hello Ritchie, 

Jul 23, 14 16:37

You can type tpg1 or tpg2 and send to 788

Anni Vi T, Jul 23, 2014 @ 18:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 50

Jul 23, 14 18:11

Note that you need to have a Swiss SIM.  This is explained at bus stops, though.

Note that you need to have a Swiss SIM.  This is explained at bus stops, though.

TheOmegaMan, Jul 23, 2014 @ 19:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
50 Replies | 2822 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form