Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Heading to Geneva/Nyon!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Heading to Geneva/Nyon!

Hello all! My name's Kelcey. I'm an American living in Poland with my husband. He's recently accepted a job offer in Prangins starting in November, so we'll be moving to Switzerland at the end of the summer. I've just started looking for work in Geneva and soon we'll be apartment hunting in Nyon. I guess I don't have any specific questions just yet, but as excited as we are this whole situation is a little overwhelming! So I joined glocals to help us prepare for our new life in Switzerland. Can't wait to meet new people and pick up some helpful tips!

The text you are quoting:

Hello all! My name's Kelcey. I'm an American living in Poland with my husband. He's recently accepted a job offer in Prangins starting in November, so we'll be moving to Switzerland at the end of the summer. I've just started looking for work in Geneva and soon we'll be apartment hunting in Nyon. I guess I don't have any specific questions just yet, but as excited as we are this whole situation is a little overwhelming! So I joined glocals to help us prepare for our new life in Switzerland. Can't wait to meet new people and pick up some helpful tips!

Kelcey CMay 6, 2015 @ 15:41
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1023 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Heading to Geneva/Nyon!
Post 1

Welcome to glocals and soon to Nyon/Prangins!

For accommodation, I suggest that you click on the Classifieds tab where you will find offers of housing and also the possibility to place an advertisement of your own.  However, be aware that housing is in short supply in the Lac Léman area so be patient if it takes a little while before you find the housing you really like.

You can also check the Classifieds for job opportunities and “Groups” to find activities that will be of interest for your leisure time.

And don’t hesitate to ask questions.  You’ll find that glocalers are friendly nd very willing to help.

Best wishes, R.

Welcome to glocals and soon to Nyon/Prangins!

For accommodation, I suggest that you click on the Classifieds tab where you will find offers of housing and also the possibility to place an advertisement of your own.  However, be aware that housing is in short supply in the Lac Léman area so be patient if it takes a little while before you find the housing you really like.

You can also check the Classifieds for job opportunities and “Groups” to find activities that will be of interest for your leisure time.

And don’t hesitate to ask questions.  You’ll find that glocalers are friendly nd very willing to help.

Best wishes, R.

Ritchie, May 6, 2015 @ 19:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thank you very much! We've definitely heard that it can be difficult to find housing in the area, so I'm hoping that by starting now we'll be able to find something in time. I've also heard that applying for an apartment can be difficult in itself, and requires a good deal of documentation. Would you happen to have any information on that?

Thank you very much! We've definitely heard that it can be difficult to find housing in the area, so I'm hoping that by starting now we'll be able to find something in time. I've also heard that applying for an apartment can be difficult in itself, and requires a good deal of documentation. Would you happen to have any information on that?

Kelcey C, May 6, 2015 @ 20:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Kelcey. If you're coming to live in Nyon/Prangins (virtually the same place!) then you should join the Nyon Group to make friends and develop your social circle while you're here.

http://www.glocals.com/groups/geneva/nyon-group.htm

We're looking at stepping up the number of events during the summer including lakeside BBQ, open air cinema, horse racing (watching not doing) and plenty of nights out in local bars, restaurants, etc. 

As for the housing hopefully, your husband might get some help for finding a place from the company he's working for. Failing that, as Ritchie said, it's worth checking out the glocals classified or sites such as www.immostreet.ch .or www.homegate.ch. For Nyon itself www.rytz.com was a good real estate agent. As a rough guide I think they look at 25% of your gross income to determine what rent you can afford.

Good luck and look forward to meeting you and your husband when you get here. :-)

Hi Kelcey. If you're coming to live in Nyon/Prangins (virtually the same place!) then you should join the Nyon Group to make friends and develop your social circle while you're here.

http://www.glocals.com/groups/geneva/nyon-group.htm

We're looking at stepping up the number of events during the summer including lakeside BBQ, open air cinema, horse racing (watching not doing) and plenty of nights out in local bars, restaurants, etc. 

As for the housing hopefully, your husband might get some help for finding a place from the company he's working for. Failing that, as Ritchie said, it's worth checking out the glocals classified or sites such as www.immostreet.ch .or www.homegate.ch. For Nyon itself www.rytz.com was a good real estate agent. As a rough guide I think they look at 25% of your gross income to determine what rent you can afford.

Good luck and look forward to meeting you and your husband when you get here. :-)

Rich, May 6, 2015 @ 22:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks for the tips Rich, I've just joined the group! And I'll definitely be checking out the links you've posted.

Thanks for the tips Rich, I've just joined the group! And I'll definitely be checking out the links you've posted.

Kelcey C, May 6, 2015 @ 22:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1023 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form