Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Hei, new to Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Hei, new to Geneva

Hey,

I am moving to Geneva in mid November to do a three month internship. I am from Helsinki where I am studying at the University for my Masters in Sociology. I'm a runner, about to do my second marathon in Vantaa this Sunday.

I need help for finding my way in Geneva. How can I find a flat for three months? Anyone looking for a roomate? Whats this I hear about insurance? Anything I need to know in advance. Luckily I also speak French so I can manage something on my own.

Pia

The text you are quoting:

Hey,

I am moving to Geneva in mid November to do a three month internship. I am from Helsinki where I am studying at the University for my Masters in Sociology. I'm a runner, about to do my second marathon in Vantaa this Sunday.

I need help for finding my way in Geneva. How can I find a flat for three months? Anyone looking for a roomate? Whats this I hear about insurance? Anything I need to know in advance. Luckily I also speak French so I can manage something on my own.

Pia

Pia GOct 7, 2010 @ 10:31
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 943 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Hei, new to Geneva
Post 1

kinda hard but on glocals there is a section named classified ! Check it. 

U can also see on the einternet but the best thing unfortunately is to be here to find a flat to rent.

:s

kinda hard but on glocals there is a section named classified ! Check it. 

U can also see on the einternet but the best thing unfortunately is to be here to find a flat to rent.

:s

chris n, Oct 7, 2010 @ 10:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

yeah but will I be able to find a flat to rent for 3 months? In Finland most flats are rented out on yearly contracts...so if someone is here on a shortterm basis they have to rent a subletted flat (someone goes on vacation and rents theirs out) use HOAS, student housing...very useful in summer as anyone can get a student flat or rent a room. Some kind helsinki residents rent a room out just for a semester or the schoolyear when they don't have guest coming in from the country....so maybe this can ignite some ideas for similar things if possible in Geneva.

If anyone is going on vacation,have a extra room just by chance (I don't think this is likely, but worth asking) or knows of someone who knows someone who can help. let me know. And yes I am a likable clean person....I can also cook sushi...thats a talent most roomates or tenants don't have :)

yeah but will I be able to find a flat to rent for 3 months? In Finland most flats are rented out on yearly contracts...so if someone is here on a shortterm basis they have to rent a subletted flat (someone goes on vacation and rents theirs out) use HOAS, student housing...very useful in summer as anyone can get a student flat or rent a room. Some kind helsinki residents rent a room out just for a semester or the schoolyear when they don't have guest coming in from the country....so maybe this can ignite some ideas for similar things if possible in Geneva.

If anyone is going on vacation,have a extra room just by chance (I don't think this is likely, but worth asking) or knows of someone who knows someone who can help. let me know. And yes I am a likable clean person....I can also cook sushi...thats a talent most roomates or tenants don't have :)

Pia G, Oct 7, 2010 @ 21:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

There is short term housing on the CERN market sometimes.

https://espace.cern.ch/cern-market/default.aspx

You might need an account to view but I think anyone can get a visitors account.  Hope this is of some help.

There is short term housing on the CERN market sometimes.

https://espace.cern.ch/cern-market/default.aspx

You might need an account to view but I think anyone can get a visitors account.  Hope this is of some help.

Joshua S, Oct 8, 2010 @ 01:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hei Joshua,

yes that website is accessible only by members, and I can't quite figure out how to get a visitors account. : (  The confusion settles in

Pia

Hei Joshua,

yes that website is accessible only by members, and I can't quite figure out how to get a visitors account. : (  The confusion settles in

Pia

Pia G, Oct 8, 2010 @ 19:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hello Pia,

It looks like you have to go here:

https://cernaccount.web.cern.ch/cernaccount/Externals.aspx