Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Hello, also new to Geneva, from Brook..Brook...BrookLYN!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Hello, also new to Geneva, from Brook..Brook...BrookLYN!

Hello, I am usually not so preposterous.

I am a new (probable) transplant to the Geneva area, coming to check the place/work out on sunday. Living the last wonderful prime year of my 20's. I like to train (Crossfit anyone?), work on puzzles and throw frisbee's. I am pretty excited that there is such a great resource such as glocals to help "out-of-towners" get adjusted and find stuff to do. I was hoping that perhaps some of you could chime with your opinions on Geneva/Switzerland.

- I am going to be working in the center of town (left bank, close to the lake), but I do not necessarily need to live so close by. What are some of the neighborhoods that make it practical to live in? Where the rent might be cheaper because one does not have to compete against the 'at any price' crowd. 

- I have had several exchanges with Swiss folks  along this pattern: Swiss Person: How can I help you with setting up X [ex: bank account/apt/hotel]? Me: Well which one x's in X do you recommend? Or how are they different. Swiss Person: Well here are all of the x's (or sometimes none), I will let you make the decision. Is there something lost in the translation, am I being rude?

- What is the biggest cultural shock that people experience? Besides the fact that people think that Geneva is boring and there is 'nothing to do.' I am fairly certain that I won't find it boring.

Leonid

The text you are quoting:

Hello, I am usually not so preposterous.

I am a new (probable) transplant to the Geneva area, coming to check the place/work out on sunday. Living the last wonderful prime year of my 20's. I like to train (Crossfit anyone?), work on puzzles and throw frisbee's. I am pretty excited that there is such a great resource such as glocals to help "out-of-towners" get adjusted and find stuff to do. I was hoping that perhaps some of you could chime with your opinions on Geneva/Switzerland.

- I am going to be working in the center of town (left bank, close to the lake), but I do not necessarily need to live so close by. What are some of the neighborhoods that make it practical to live in? Where the rent might be cheaper because one does not have to compete against the 'at any price' crowd. 

- I have had several exchanges with Swiss folks  along this pattern: Swiss Person: How can I help you with setting up X [ex: bank account/apt/hotel]? Me: Well which one x's in X do you recommend? Or how are they different. Swiss Person: Well here are all of the x's (or sometimes none), I will let you make the decision. Is there something lost in the translation, am I being rude?

- What is the biggest cultural shock that people experience? Besides the fact that people think that Geneva is boring and there is 'nothing to do.' I am fairly certain that I won't find it boring.

Leonid

Leonid RSep 16, 2010 @ 23:33
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

0 Replies | 489 Views      |  Send to friend

No replies posted yet.
0 Replies | 489 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form