Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Hello and Questions from Newbies

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Hello and Questions from Newbies

Hello!

We are moving to Geneva in mid-August with our family of five (3 kids, all under the age of 8).  

We're in the market for a house to rent - we have a generous housing allowance through our company - up to 10K CHF - so I'm looking for some information from this group to understand how difficult it is to find housing? 

We'd like to stay within a 5-10K radius of our children's school, which is in Genthod, but we have the opportunity to take over the lease of my predecessor - whose home is in Confingon - which would certainly be easier.

Here's my question: how hard was it for you to find housing rentals? I know apartments are more difficult - we hate to pass up on an opportunity now only to struggle finding housing but the commute from the kids' school to the house is about 40 minutes with traffic... so not ideal.

Thanks for your help!

Jamie

The text you are quoting:

Hello!

We are moving to Geneva in mid-August with our family of five (3 kids, all under the age of 8).  

We're in the market for a house to rent - we have a generous housing allowance through our company - up to 10K CHF - so I'm looking for some information from this group to understand how difficult it is to find housing? 

We'd like to stay within a 5-10K radius of our children's school, which is in Genthod, but we have the opportunity to take over the lease of my predecessor - whose home is in Confingon - which would certainly be easier.

Here's my question: how hard was it for you to find housing rentals? I know apartments are more difficult - we hate to pass up on an opportunity now only to struggle finding housing but the commute from the kids' school to the house is about 40 minutes with traffic... so not ideal.

Thanks for your help!

Jamie

Jamie HaneyJul 1, 2018 @ 12:34
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 943 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Hello and Questions from Newbies
Post 1

If your rent budget is up to 10K CHF per month you won't have trouble at all in finding accommodation, anywhere you like. You'll be even able to rent a nice house with garden for you and your family.

The Geneva real estate market is saturated but only counting demands for apartments under 2500 - 3000 CHF.

If your rent budget is up to 10K CHF per month you won't have trouble at all in finding accommodation, anywhere you like. You'll be even able to rent a nice house with garden for you and your family.

The Geneva real estate market is saturated but only counting demands for apartments under 2500 - 3000 CHF.

TheOmegaMan, Jul 2, 2018 @ 19:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hello Jamie, Confignon-Genthod is definitely not an ideal commute considering the increased traffic in Geneva and surrounding areas of late. It is very true that many nice houses are available to rent up to 10k Chf. You may find looking in the Canton Vaud area adjacent to Genthod/Versoix is more convenient for school run and quality of life. You should also consider the commute to work into the equation. Good luck!

Hello Jamie, Confignon-Genthod is definitely not an ideal commute considering the increased traffic in Geneva and surrounding areas of late. It is very true that many nice houses are available to rent up to 10k Chf. You may find looking in the Canton Vaud area adjacent to Genthod/Versoix is more convenient for school run and quality of life. You should also consider the commute to work into the equation. Good luck!

Glenys M, Jul 3, 2018 @ 13:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

With 10K / month you'll be right up there with the upper echelon, where there's decent supply of houses to rent (most of them with pools, I imagine...(-;

With 10K / month you'll be right up there with the upper echelon, where there's decent supply of houses to rent (most of them with pools, I imagine...(-;

Nir Ofek, Jul 4, 2018 @ 16:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

With your children's school in Genthod you have wide choice between city (Nations, Grand-Saconnex) and countryside (Pregny, Versoix). Personally I would look for a house in Genthod/Bellevue which is very beautiful.

I would avoid looking in VD as the commute "VD->GE morning, GE->VD evening" is hell. And which such a budget you will easily find anywhere.

Note that the commute Confignon-Genthod isn't so bad (~20 minutes) as both localities are very close to the motorway. And Confignon is a nice place.

With your children's school in Genthod you have wide choice between city (Nations, Grand-Saconnex) and countryside (Pregny, Versoix). Personally I would look for a house in Genthod/Bellevue which is very beautiful.

I would avoid looking in VD as the commute "VD->GE morning, GE->VD evening" is hell. And which such a budget you will easily find anywhere.

Note that the commute Confignon-Genthod isn't so bad (~20 minutes) as both localities are very close to the motorway. And Confignon is a nice place.

TheOmegaMan, Jul 4, 2018 @ 19:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 943 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form