Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Hey there...I'm new to Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Hey there...I'm new to Geneva

Hi there! I recently moved to Geneva end of Jan. but haven't been here much as I've been travelling. I'm finally staying put for a while and have some free time on my hands and looking forward to meeting some people.

- Was wondering if anyone was up for afternoon coffee? Think it would be a great way to meet new people. Plus, the weather has been beautiful.

- Any recommendations on job websites? Or know any recruiting firms?

- Any recommendations on good French classes?

Many thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you.Smile

The text you are quoting:

Hi there! I recently moved to Geneva end of Jan. but haven't been here much as I've been travelling. I'm finally staying put for a while and have some free time on my hands and looking forward to meeting some people.

- Was wondering if anyone was up for afternoon coffee? Think it would be a great way to meet new people. Plus, the weather has been beautiful.

- Any recommendations on job websites? Or know any recruiting firms?

- Any recommendations on good French classes?

Many thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you.Smile

Marie NMar 25, 2010 @ 09:27
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

22 Replies | 1789 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Hey there...I'm new to Geneva
Post 1

Hi Kaki...Thanks for the tips. Much apperciated! Sorry for the delayed response. Have a great weekend ahead.

Hi Kaki...Thanks for the tips. Much apperciated! Sorry for the delayed response. Have a great weekend ahead.

Marie N, Mar 26, 2010 @ 16:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hey Marie,

Welcome to Geneva! For meeting more folks, Coffee with Kaki is a great start. And then you can:

1. Join the weekly glocals New-Member Drinks. Check out the Member-Activities Geneva section for weekly updates.

2. Post any activities on the Member-Activities section (even if it's just a simple 'lets do coffee'), and see who wants to join. You'll likely receive replies from some great people, but also from 1-2 horn dogs. Just refuse the horn dogs...(-:

Nir

Hey Marie,

Welcome to Geneva! For meeting more folks, Coffee with Kaki is a great start. And then you can:

1. Join the weekly glocals New-Member Drinks. Check out the Member-Activities Geneva section for weekly updates.

2. Post any activities on the Member-Activities section (even if it's just a simple 'lets do coffee'), and see who wants to join. You'll likely receive replies from some great people, but also from 1-2 horn dogs. Just refuse the horn dogs...(-:

Nir

Nir Ofek, Mar 26, 2010 @ 16:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Yo Kaki,

You'll just have to keep wondering...Cool

Nir

Yo Kaki,

You'll just have to keep wondering...Cool

Nir

Nir Ofek, Mar 26, 2010 @ 17:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks Nir for the advice! And thanks for the warning to stay away from the horn dogs! ha ha Had to laugh at that one!

Kaki....look out for my coffee invitation! Laughing

Thanks Nir for the advice! And thanks for the warning to stay away from the horn dogs! ha ha Had to laugh at that one!

Kaki....look out for my coffee invitation! Laughing

Marie N, Mar 26, 2010 @ 17:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Marie,

Welcome to Geneva:)

You can read article about Job search in Geneva in my blog: useful resources, CV tips and contacts of free CV consultation. http://postitsmileblog.com/2010/02/23/job-search-guide/

Regarding French, I know that Ifage school is good for quick catch the language and the prices are good as well. http://www.ifage.ch/

Elena

Discover our concierge services on www.postit-smile.com!Follow us on Twitter and get the latest Geneva news!Become our fun on Facebook to keep in touch!

Hi Marie,

Welcome to Geneva:)

You can read article about Job search in Geneva in my blog: useful resources, CV tips and contacts of free CV consultation. http://postitsmileblog.com/2010/02/23/job-search-guide/

Regarding French, I know that Ifage school is good for quick catch the language and the prices are good as well. http://www.ifage.ch/

Elena

Discover our concierge services on www.postit-smile.com!Follow us on Twitter and get the latest Geneva news!Become our fun on Facebook to keep in touch!

Elena I, Mar 26, 2010 @ 19:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

hi Marie,

Actually I need some advice as you just moved to Geneva. I'm Mireille and my boyfreind and I are trying to move to Geneva-  I gather you are from the EU? if yes,  did you have to register for a B permit once you move there or can you just move there and look for a job?

I woked in geneva before but didn't need a permit (UN) but now it is different as we are trying to get a job which might not be the UN.

As you are looking for jobs, one of our recruiter told us that local recruiters actually have more positions which are not online. Only few jobs advert go online - for which they have difficulties finding a local.  So maybe your best bet will be to pay local recruiters such as adecco, Randstadt or private ones who charge the company a visit. Do you think it is best to move there and then look for a job? Thanks for your advise

hi Marie,

Actually I need some advice as you just moved to Geneva. I'm Mireille and my boyfreind and I are trying to move to Geneva-  I gather you are from the EU? if yes,  did you have to register for a B permit once you move there or can you just move there and look for a job?

I woked in geneva before but didn't need a permit (UN) but now it is different as we are trying to get a job which might not be the UN.

As you are looking for jobs, one of our recruiter told us that local recruiters actually have more positions which are not online. Only few jobs advert go online - for which they have difficulties finding a local.  So maybe your best bet will be to pay local recruiters such as adecco, Randstadt or private ones who charge the company a visit. Do you think it is best to move there and then look for a job? Thanks for your advise

Mireille V, Mar 26, 2010 @ 21:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi Elena, Thanks for the tips. Someone else also referred Ifage so 2 referrals are a good sign. I will definately look into your blog.

Hi Mirelle, Sorry I can not give you any advice on a work permit as I am not from the EU. I'm orginally from San Francisco (If you ask me, one of the best cities Cool) . But thanks for the advice on contatcting locals recruiters.

Thank you everyone for being so helpful and for the warm welcome.

Hi Elena, Thanks for the tips. Someone else also referred Ifage so 2 referrals are a good sign. I will definately look into your blog.

Hi Mirelle, Sorry I can not give you any advice on a work permit as I am not from the EU. I'm orginally from San Francisco (If you ask me, one of the best cities Cool) . But thanks for the advice on contatcting locals recruiters.

Thank you everyone for being so helpful and for the warm welcome.

Marie N, Mar 27, 2010 @ 14:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I've been taking French classes at IFAGE and I definitely can recommend it!

I've been taking French classes at IFAGE and I definitely can recommend it!

yourVillain, Mar 27, 2010 @ 16:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Thanks yourVillian...I'm definately leaning on picking Ifage. Lots of good recommendations.

Thanks yourVillian...I'm definately leaning on picking Ifage. Lots of good recommendations.

Marie N, Mar 28, 2010 @ 08:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hi Marie,

Thanks for your email. I got the answer i needed from a friend of mine who works and live in Zug.

If you let me know the type of work you are looking for, I will be able to send you links which correspond to your field. I hope to ba ble to move to Switzerland soon and yeah it will be cool meeting new people. My partner and I also love travelling and socializing so meeting people with similar interests will be cool.

I'ma a native French and live in London for ages so you can practice your french with me (emails exchanges...) but you can definately learn also by subscribing to podcasts... My partner is Italien but learned French this way on his own for a year and he can now write and speak.

Taking few courses to get you on track is also a good idea but the rest you can learn with books.. without forking out lots of money....

Chat to you soon

Mireille

Hi Marie,

Thanks for your email. I got the answer i needed from a friend of mine who works and live in Zug.

If you let me know the type of work you are looking for, I will be able to send you links which correspond to your field. I hope to ba ble to move to Switzerland soon and yeah it will be cool meeting new people. My partner and I also love travelling and socializing so meeting people with similar interests will be cool.

I'ma a native French and live in London for ages so you can practice your french with me (emails exchanges...) but you can definately learn also by subscribing to podcasts... My partner is Italien but learned French this way on his own for a year and he can now write and speak.

Taking few courses to get you on track is also a good idea but the rest you can learn with books.. without forking out lots of money....

Chat to you soon

Mireille

Mireille V, Mar 28, 2010 @ 10:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hi Mireille,

I'm looking for something in merchandising/buying for high end retail brands but am flexible. Not many of the big fashion brands have a head office here unless it's a watch brand.

I'm signing up for French classes this week so hopefully we can pratice soon.

Hopefully your move to Geneva is fast approaching and will go smoothly.

Happy Monday!

Marie

Hi Mireille,

I'm looking for something in merchandising/buying for high end retail brands but am flexible. Not many of the big fashion brands have a head office here unless it's a watch brand.

I'm signing up for French classes this week so hopefully we can pratice soon.

Hopefully your move to Geneva is fast approaching and will go smoothly.

Happy Monday!

Marie

Marie N, Mar 29, 2010 @ 12:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi Marie,

Please check www.jobpilot.ch- there are few  retail offers like G-start who is looking for an employee. Also www.jobskatalog.ch; www.schweizjob.com; www.jobscout24.ch; www.jobs.ch.

Hope you find something interesting - good luck

Chat to you soon

Mireille

mireille

Hi Marie,

Please check www.jobpilot.ch- there are few  retail offers like G-start who is looking for an employee. Also www.jobskatalog.ch; www.schweizjob.com; www.jobscout24.ch; www.jobs.ch.

Hope you find something interesting - good luck

Chat to you soon

Mireille

mireille

Mireille V, Mar 29, 2010 @ 12:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Thanks Mireille for being so helpful!

Thanks Mireille for being so helpful!

Marie N, Mar 30, 2010 @ 10:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Try these for French lessons ..........

www.upcge.ch

Apparently very good, cheap and close to the station, I found Ifage OK but very expensive (which was OK as I wasn't paying Smile)

jobup is good for general job searching, also try monster.ch, there are lots depending on which industry you are in (and I've just noticed that I've lost all my jobsearch bookmarks!)

Good luck

Try these for French lessons ..........

www.upcge.ch

Apparently very good, cheap and close to the station, I found Ifage OK but very expensive (which was OK as I wasn't paying Smile)

jobup is good for general job searching, also try monster.ch, there are lots depending on which industry you are in (and I've just noticed that I've lost all my jobsearch bookmarks!)

Good luck

sandywilli, Mar 30, 2010 @ 12:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Ralph Lauren have a main headquarters in Geneva, checking their website for jobs may be an idea too

Ralph Lauren have a main headquarters in Geneva, checking their website for jobs may be an idea too

sandywilli, Mar 30, 2010 @ 12:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Hello Sandywilli (man w/ the vanTongue out) thanks for the tips....I just signed up for ifage! : /

Also, I've been looking at PRL (Polo Ralph Lauren) but some of the jobs you have to be fluent in spanish or french. boo! I'm keeping my fingers crossed something will open up!

Thanks again!  

Hello Sandywilli (man w/ the vanTongue out) thanks for the tips....I just signed up for ifage! : /

Also, I've been looking at PRL (Polo Ralph Lauren) but some of the jobs you have to be fluent in spanish or french. boo! I'm keeping my fingers crossed something will open up!

Thanks again!  

Marie N, Mar 30, 2010 @ 14:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

forget about french classes, u'll only meet other english speakers, the only solution for u is to date a frenchman, not too smart(doesn't speak english at all or he will be the one improving) but very good lover to compensate ! (why i wrote frenchman and not Swissman ;)

that is how i learned english and spanish in a few monthes !

good luck, it shouldn't be to hard judging from your picture ;)

forget about french classes, u'll only meet other english speakers, the only solution for u is to date a frenchman, not too smart(doesn't speak english at all or he will be the one improving) but very good lover to compensate ! (why i wrote frenchman and not Swissman ;)

that is how i learned english and spanish in a few monthes !

good luck, it shouldn't be to hard judging from your picture ;)

olivier madaule, Mar 30, 2010 @ 17:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Oliver...thanks for the good laugh!

Oliver...thanks for the good laugh!

Marie N, Mar 31, 2010 @ 08:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Hey to new to Geneva folks,

Would you have 2 seconds to post some of the questions you have about Geneva, in this moving to Geneva thread? We're trying to collect the most asked questions that newbies have about moving to Geneva, and then we'll try to pull together a guide to answer all these questions.

Thanks a lot,

Nir

Hey to new to Geneva folks,

Would you have 2 seconds to post some of the questions you have about Geneva, in this moving to Geneva thread? We're trying to collect the most asked questions that newbies have about moving to Geneva, and then we'll try to pull together a guide to answer all these questions.

Thanks a lot,

Nir

Nir Ofek, Apr 1, 2010 @ 14:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Hi Nir,

Here are some of my questions.

1.) Best place for French lessons?

2.) Top 2 gyms? Yoga studio?

3.) Good recommendations on a housing agent?

4.) Good bars? (very important  to knowSmile)

Happy Easter!

Hi Nir,

Here are some of my questions.

1.) Best place for French lessons?

2.) Top 2 gyms? Yoga studio?

3.) Good recommendations on a housing agent?

4.) Good bars? (very important  to knowSmile)

Happy Easter!

Marie N, Apr 4, 2010 @ 15:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Thanks Marie. 

Don't know about good bars, but this Saturday (April 10) is the annual Sindy & glocals.com Spring Party, with 1500 expected guests. I'll be at the door, hope to see you there!

Details: www.sindy.ch/spring2010.htm

Thanks Marie. 

Don't know about good bars, but this Saturday (April 10) is the annual Sindy & glocals.com Spring Party, with 1500 expected guests. I'll be at the door, hope to see you there!

Details: www.sindy.ch/spring2010.htm

Nir Ofek, Apr 4, 2010 @ 16:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Nir,

It looks like an AWESOME party...will definately try to go!

yahoooooooooooooooo!

Nir,

It looks like an AWESOME party...will definately try to go!

yahoooooooooooooooo!

Marie N, Apr 6, 2010 @ 11:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
22 Replies | 1789 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form