Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Hi!! Frenchie new in glocals and not so new in Bern :-)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Hi!! Frenchie new in glocals and not so new in Bern :-)
 Hi!

My name is Mary, I come from France and I just joined glocals! I arrived in Bern 2 and a half years ago and have been working here as a translator (German into French) since then.

I got to know some local people here, but unfortunately it's not that easy to make friends here! It feels like it's a bit hard to integrate a group of Swiss Germans! :-) I can speak German (and even took Swiss German classes to integrate better) but this doesn't help much obviously. Most locals I know have remained acquaintances, I would have a small talk with them if Id meet them on the street, but its hard to become friends. It happens that I want to go for a drink or go watch a movie or go to a concert or whatsoever and don't know anybody who could come with me (well, as for concerts i can understand, my music taste is a bit "strange") ;-) ! And so I want to change that and get to know people here! :-))

Also, I studied English but of course never have had the opportunity to speak it here and so it would be great if I could meet English native speakers too in order to keep practicing my English!  

Hope to see you soon!

Regards

-Mary-
The text you are quoting:
 Hi!

My name is Mary, I come from France and I just joined glocals! I arrived in Bern 2 and a half years ago and have been working here as a translator (German into French) since then.

I got to know some local people here, but unfortunately it's not that easy to make friends here! It feels like it's a bit hard to integrate a group of Swiss Germans! :-) I can speak German (and even took Swiss German classes to integrate better) but this doesn't help much obviously. Most locals I know have remained acquaintances, I would have a small talk with them if Id meet them on the street, but its hard to become friends. It happens that I want to go for a drink or go watch a movie or go to a concert or whatsoever and don't know anybody who could come with me (well, as for concerts i can understand, my music taste is a bit "strange") ;-) ! And so I want to change that and get to know people here! :-))

Also, I studied English but of course never have had the opportunity to speak it here and so it would be great if I could meet English native speakers too in order to keep practicing my English!  

Hope to see you soon!

Regards

-Mary-
Mary HAug 30, 2009 @ 12:12
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 1021 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Hi!! Frenchie new in glocals and not so new in Bern :-)
Post 1
 Hi Mary, I am in the same position as you and live not far from Bern, it seems eveyone on this site lives in Lausanne for some reason.
I am bilingual English/French and would love to go for a drink with you, that way you get to practice your english and i can relax a bit and speak english with someone.
I have a very english sense of humour and struggle to be funny in french but I will do my best.
I also love Bern and go there sometimes just to walk around so it would be nice to actualy meet someone and talk.
Please let me know.
Laurent
 Hi Mary, I am in the same position as you and live not far from Bern, it seems eveyone on this site lives in Lausanne for some reason.
I am bilingual English/French and would love to go for a drink with you, that way you get to practice your english and i can relax a bit and speak english with someone.
I have a very english sense of humour and struggle to be funny in french but I will do my best.
I also love Bern and go there sometimes just to walk around so it would be nice to actualy meet someone and talk.
Please let me know.
Laurent
Lawrence Shivadikar, Oct 1, 2009 @ 20:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
 I'm trying to post a forum for people in Bern, so we can all get together and have a drink or something maybe this weekend.
would you be interested in coming along?
 I'm trying to post a forum for people in Bern, so we can all get together and have a drink or something maybe this weekend.
would you be interested in coming along?
Lawrence Shivadikar, Oct 2, 2009 @ 16:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Hey Lawrence!!

Of course it would be nice to go for a drink! You can count me in!
This week-end is good for me! In the eve (Saturday for instance) would be best though. But let's see what the other think!

There is an Irish pub called Pickwick in Bern (close to the train station). http://www.pickwick.ch/
How about meeting up there?

Let me know!

Cheers for now

-Mary-
Hey Lawrence!!

Of course it would be nice to go for a drink! You can count me in!
This week-end is good for me! In the eve (Saturday for instance) would be best though. But let's see what the other think!

There is an Irish pub called Pickwick in Bern (close to the train station). http://www.pickwick.ch/
How about meeting up there?

Let me know!

Cheers for now

-Mary-
Mary H, Oct 2, 2009 @ 16:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Mmh, doesnt look like they do pies there... http://www.pickwick.ch/bern/kitchen.php

Mmh, doesnt look like they do pies there... http://www.pickwick.ch/bern/kitchen.php

Mary H, Oct 2, 2009 @ 16:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
 Sweeeeet, how about we all meet up say late afternoon somewhere and take it from there, maybe at the clock or the train station....we must all try and remember what we all look like as I think carnations are out of season.
 Sweeeeet, how about we all meet up say late afternoon somewhere and take it from there, maybe at the clock or the train station....we must all try and remember what we all look like as I think carnations are out of season.
Lawrence Shivadikar, Oct 2, 2009 @ 18:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Mary,

I guess you are sorted here now with lots of friends, but if you are still up for a drink let me know. I have been here 2 weeks and know about a handful of people but always up to meet more. 

Sante,

Mike

Hi Mary,

I guess you are sorted here now with lots of friends, but if you are still up for a drink let me know. I have been here 2 weeks and know about a handful of people but always up to meet more. 

Sante,

Mike

Michael Delaney, Sep 29, 2010 @ 22:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 1021 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form