Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Introducing myself

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Introducing myself

Helo All:

Moving from the Isle of Man (originally from Canada) to Geneva and was hoping if someone would be kind enough to send me some info:

1- I heard all of the stories in relation to finding an apartment. Anyone know of any websites to find a modern 3 bed apart in the areas: eaux-vives, champel, malagnou, florissant?

2- Also, does someone know the equivalent of Boots (Pharmacy), Asda (walmart), woolworth or Marks and Spencer in Geneva?

3- Any classifieds webistes to find a second hand car?

4- Discount electronics (TV, computer) and white goods (washer/dryer)?

5- Any info on schools (primary) and preschool?

Thanks Guys!

Steven

The text you are quoting:

Helo All:

Moving from the Isle of Man (originally from Canada) to Geneva and was hoping if someone would be kind enough to send me some info:

1- I heard all of the stories in relation to finding an apartment. Anyone know of any websites to find a modern 3 bed apart in the areas: eaux-vives, champel, malagnou, florissant?

2- Also, does someone know the equivalent of Boots (Pharmacy), Asda (walmart), woolworth or Marks and Spencer in Geneva?

3- Any classifieds webistes to find a second hand car?

4- Discount electronics (TV, computer) and white goods (washer/dryer)?

5- Any info on schools (primary) and preschool?

Thanks Guys!

Steven

STEVEN PARISAug 30, 2010 @ 19:06
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

15 Replies | 1450 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Introducing myself
Post 1

1. Can't help.

2. There are some pharmacy "chain" retailers but they aren't cheap.  I miss Walgreen's.  Best to visit whatever is nearby.  There is no Wal-Mart equivalent in Switzerland.  If you want everything under one roof, the "MMM" Migros are about the best you can do but you'll sh*t a brick when you see some of the prices.

3. No clue.

4. Media Markt, Interdiscount XXL, Fust.  If you don't mind ordering through the mail, check out this site.  Some of the companies can do will-call (customer pickup) orders and are in the gva area.

5. No clue.

Hope this helps...

1. Can't help.

2. There are some pharmacy "chain" retailers but they aren't cheap.  I miss Walgreen's.  Best to visit whatever is nearby.  There is no Wal-Mart equivalent in Switzerland.  If you want everything under one roof, the "MMM" Migros are about the best you can do but you'll sh*t a brick when you see some of the prices.

3. No clue.

4. Media Markt, Interdiscount XXL, Fust.  If you don't mind ordering through the mail, check out this site.  Some of the companies can do will-call (customer pickup) orders and are in the gva area.

5. No clue.

Hope this helps...

richardm, Aug 30, 2010 @ 19:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Steven,

I am just replying regarding to #3.

The closest I found to a "Wal Mart" equivilant is the supermarche e.leclerc http://www.e-leclerc.com/home.asp but I've only seen them on the France side. There a few close to the borders and it might be worth the trip?

Yeah... you can't really beat Wal-Mart, it pretty much trumps everything.

Hope this helps - I am a noobe as well.

Cheers,

N

Hi Steven,

I am just replying regarding to #3.

The closest I found to a "Wal Mart" equivilant is the supermarche e.leclerc http://www.e-leclerc.com/home.asp but I've only seen them on the France side. There a few close to the borders and it might be worth the trip?

Yeah... you can't really beat Wal-Mart, it pretty much trumps everything.

Hope this helps - I am a noobe as well.

Cheers,

N

Nicky L, Aug 30, 2010 @ 20:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi steven,

I found my car on www.autoscout.ch. Large selection of 2nd hand cars, but new ones too.

Good luck!

Hi steven,

I found my car on www.autoscout.ch. Large selection of 2nd hand cars, but new ones too.

Good luck!

emilie a, Aug 30, 2010 @ 20:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

www.car4you.ch for cars

www.immoschout.ch

www.immostreet.ch

www.homegate.ch

www.comparis.ch

for houses and insurance etc

For schools... try googling the international schools of geneva, also some info on www.angloinfo.ch

hope this helps.

www.car4you.ch for cars

www.immoschout.ch

www.immostreet.ch

www.homegate.ch

www.comparis.ch

for houses and insurance etc

For schools... try googling the international schools of geneva, also some info on www.angloinfo.ch

hope this helps.

Charlie, Aug 31, 2010 @ 09:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

There is an M&S in Geneva but I am not impressed - according to my daughter choice is much better in England.  No food section.  There is one shop over the border in France (Jim's place) which does English food but quite a lot can be found in the larger coop's.   What I do miss is sausage, English cheese, bacon, good tea bags and brillo soap pads.  But now I hope somebody wil tell me where I can these in Geneva without making the treck to Jim's place in St Genis. For flats Charlie has given youz a list of sites and you just have to persevere.  If you are moving because of your job your new company should delegate someone (can be HR or PA) to do a search for you based on the criteria you give. This is one thing they do well here and a local person has a much better feel for the market.   There are problems in renting in the bracket 1500-2500 range.  Above that could be easier.  Try and get a feel for the market by studying (not visiting) everything which is your price range.  The areas you have listed are more expensive than the other side of the lake and remember in Geneva canton the kitchen counts as a room.^so a 3 room appartment is a two room appartment with a kitchen.   

There is an M&S in Geneva but I am not impressed - according to my daughter choice is much better in England.  No food section.  There is one shop over the border in France (Jim's place) which does English food but quite a lot can be found in the larger coop's.   What I do miss is sausage, English cheese, bacon, good tea bags and brillo soap pads.  But now I hope somebody wil tell me where I can these in Geneva without making the treck to Jim's place in St Genis. For flats Charlie has given youz a list of sites and you just have to persevere.  If you are moving because of your job your new company should delegate someone (can be HR or PA) to do a search for you based on the criteria you give. This is one thing they do well here and a local person has a much better feel for the market.   There are problems in renting in the bracket 1500-2500 range.  Above that could be easier.  Try and get a feel for the market by studying (not visiting) everything which is your price range.  The areas you have listed are more expensive than the other side of the lake and remember in Geneva canton the kitchen counts as a room.^so a 3 room appartment is a two room appartment with a kitchen.   

Paul E, Aug 31, 2010 @ 09:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Aug 31, 10 09:29

Ive seen Cheddar (mild and mature) in a few shops in Manor (maybe a big Migros or Coop ) and Carrefour in France i think, but Jims has the wenslydale etc

tea... depends, tetleys is sold in a couple of places I think. (but youll need to venture to Jims for the Yorkshire stuff)

Brillo pads ...ha ha good luck, i make do with the steel scrubbing pads and fairy liquid

bacon, I buy mine in france , carrefour, seems to work, but I like streaky rashers crispy anyway.

Englsh bread at Jims or Manor (American toast bread works)

In fairness i dont miss much about food from home and make do turning my self into Eurotrash... and cooking my own beef and guiness pies etc...

Ive seen Cheddar (mild and mature) in a few shops in Manor (maybe a big Migros or Coop ) and Carrefour in France i think, but Jims has the wenslydale etc

tea... depends, tetleys is sold in a couple of places I think. (but youll need to venture to Jims for the Yorkshire stuff)

Brillo pads ...ha ha good luck, i make do with the steel scrubbing pads and fairy liquid

bacon, I buy mine in france , carrefour, seems to work, but I like streaky rashers crispy anyway.

In fairness i dont miss much about food from home and make do turning my self into Eurotrash... and cooking my own beef and guiness pies etc...

Charlie, Aug 31, 2010 @ 11:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Aug 31, 10 11:40

I prepare my own steak and kidney pies but have never dared add Guiness. Is it a secret? If not how much and at what stage of the process.  Agree steel scrubbing pads and fairy liquid work but with a lot more effort

I prepare my own steak and kidney pies but have never dared add Guiness. Is it a secret? If not how much and at what stage of the process.  Agree steel scrubbing pads and fairy liquid work but with a lot more effort

Paul E, Aug 31, 2010 @ 12:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Steven,

Welcome (soon) to Geneva.

For apartments / 2nd hand cars / most other things you need to rent or buy, check out the classifieds section on glocals.com.

So what brings you to GVA? If you're like 80% of expats here, it's one of 4 things:

- Banking / Financial stuff

- UN / NGO stuff

- P&G

- CERN

So are you one of the "80% majority" folks?

Nir

Steven,

Welcome (soon) to Geneva.

For apartments / 2nd hand cars / most other things you need to rent or buy, check out the classifieds section on glocals.com.

So what brings you to GVA? If you're like 80% of expats here, it's one of 4 things:

- Banking / Financial stuff

- UN / NGO stuff

- P&G

- CERN

So are you one of the "80% majority" folks?

Nir

Nir Ofek, Aug 31, 2010 @ 13:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Aug 31, 10 12:01

add it once the meat has been fried, at the same time as you would stock in a normal stew... add a stock cube as well and flour or "bisto" if needed later, but it'll need at least 2 hrs to cook out on a low heat... the longer the better and the meat will be more tender.

add it once the meat has been fried, at the same time as you would stock in a normal stew... add a stock cube as well and flour or "bisto" if needed later, but it'll need at least 2 hrs to cook out on a low heat... the longer the better and the meat will be more tender.

Charlie, Aug 31, 2010 @ 14:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Aug 31, 10 14:54

add a large tin of G... plus normal stock if needed.... the thicker the casserole pot the better ie (le cruset)

add a large tin of G... plus normal stock if needed.... the thicker the casserole pot the better ie (le cruset)

Charlie, Aug 31, 2010 @ 15:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Aug 31, 10 15:33

I see that by sending your messages in bits and bats, you double your possibility of gaining thank you points

I see that by sending your messages in bits and bats, you double your possibility of gaining thank you points

Paul E, Aug 31, 2010 @ 15:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

NIcky

Thanks for your message. How do you like Geneva? Did you adapt easily? I find the hardest thing is to find one's bearings Re Shops, cafes, gyms and so on...My only concern is to know where to get thigs without getting ripped off, which I guess is hard when you live in such an expensive city...

NIcky

Thanks for your message. How do you like Geneva? Did you adapt easily? I find the hardest thing is to find one's bearings Re Shops, cafes, gyms and so on...My only concern is to know where to get thigs without getting ripped off, which I guess is hard when you live in such an expensive city...

STEVEN PARIS, Sep 1, 2010 @ 01:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Jan 1, 70 01:00

Shows you how often I go shopping

Shows you how often I go shopping

Paul E, Sep 1, 2010 @ 09:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

NIcky

Sep 1, 10 01:16

If you live in Geneva and have your accomodation sorted, then the city is expensive as you want to make it.  Set lunches at 15-20 francs or hundreds of francs - your choice.  Evening meals can also ebcheap if you shop around.  Food no more expensive tjhan say M&S in UK.  electrical goods and cars good value.  All Swiss people complain about London being expensive. Both cities are if you on a short visit and do not know where to start.  I do not think you get ripped off here - all prices are clearly marked.   Maybe service such as repair jobs etc cold be a rip off but not if you get more than one quote or ask for a recommendation on glocals.  If you are gullible and not streetwise you can get ripped off but not just here. Also if you not speak French you can end up paying more for things but more because of a misunderstanding.  Please correct me people if I am wrong in thinking Geneva is an easy city to live in. 

If you live in Geneva and have your accomodation sorted, then the city is expensive as you want to make it.  Set lunches at 15-20 francs or hundreds of francs - your choice.  Evening meals can also ebcheap if you shop around.  Food no more expensive tjhan say M&S in UK.  electrical goods and cars good value.  All Swiss people complain about London being expensive. Both cities are if you on a short visit and do not know where to start.  I do not think you get ripped off here - all prices are clearly marked.   Maybe service such as repair jobs etc cold be a rip off but not if you get more than one quote or ask for a recommendation on glocals.  If you are gullible and not streetwise you can get ripped off but not just here. Also if you not speak French you can end up paying more for things but more because of a misunderstanding.  Please correct me people if I am wrong in thinking Geneva is an easy city to live in. 

Paul E, Sep 1, 2010 @ 09:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

For Q 3 and buying or selling anything secondhand:

I've used the following:

1. Classifieds at World Radio Switzerland (english-speaking radio station)

http://www.worldradio.ch/classifieds/

2. CERN Market - which is the classifieds at CERN.

https://espace.cern.ch/cern-market/default.aspx

In the words of Michael Caine: Not a lot of people know this, but you can use CERN market even as a non-CERN employee - you just need to register.  There are some bargains to be had - at least the people who bought the stuff I advertised on there got bargains!

I'm told that if you are an M&S addict, you can use their mail order service and get it shipped.....alternatively, you can buy your ladies underwear locally! Laughing

And I got my white goods (no not underwaer) from Conforama (Meyrin).

Good luck.

For Q 3 and buying or selling anything secondhand:

I've used the following:

1. Classifieds at World Radio Switzerland (english-speaking radio station)

http://www.worldradio.ch/classifieds/

2. CERN Market - which is the classifieds at CERN.

https://espace.cern.ch/cern-market/default.aspx

In the words of Michael Caine: Not a lot of people know this, but you can use CERN market even as a non-CERN employee - you just need to register.  There are some bargains to be had - at least the people who bought the stuff I advertised on there got bargains!

I'm told that if you are an M&S addict, you can use their mail order service and get it shipped.....alternatively, you can buy your ladies underwear locally! Laughing

And I got my white goods (no not underwaer) from Conforama (Meyrin).

Good luck.

S99_Geneva, Sep 1, 2010 @ 09:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
15 Replies | 1450 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form