Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Introducing myself

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Introducing myself

Hi

My name is Mike. Currently I live in Scituate, MA, United States.  Myself and my family will be moving to the Lausanne area sometime in July or August.  I have two children, 12 and 14.  My son loves soccer and my daughter loves dance.  We're currently trying to get them into one of the international schools.  I'm very interested in mountain biking in the area. I need to find local trails in the area.

My maing concern right now is my dog.  He's awesome. Could anyone suggest where to get started on finding out how to bring him over?

Thanks in advance

Mike

The text you are quoting:

Hi

My name is Mike. Currently I live in Scituate, MA, United States.  Myself and my family will be moving to the Lausanne area sometime in July or August.  I have two children, 12 and 14.  My son loves soccer and my daughter loves dance.  We're currently trying to get them into one of the international schools.  I'm very interested in mountain biking in the area. I need to find local trails in the area.

My maing concern right now is my dog.  He's awesome. Could anyone suggest where to get started on finding out how to bring him over?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Michael MJan 23, 2017 @ 15:55
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 972 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Introducing myself
Post 1

Hey Mike

Importing your pet is not difficult in Switzerland, if recently purchased, you must bring proof of purchase to they charge you an import TVA/VAT tax, you got certain vaccinations. If is old dog they probably will not charge you the VAT. I imported a dog from France and another from USA, it was so easy if you got the medicals and paperwork. see this site

https://www.ch.ch/en/importing-animals-plants/

https://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/en/home/information-individuals/animals-and-plants/animals--animalproducts-and-protection-of-species--cites-.html

For your kids, we call it football, real football, not like American Pass ball.

Just note that the international schools are bloody/insanely expensive, good luck. 

There are plenty places , everywhere for biking and mountain biking. Many groups also get together and organize trips.

Glocals is a great expat site to find most of your needs, ask questions, etc. so ask away or search the forums, there are plenty subjects already asked and answered, in length.

Hey Mike

Importing your pet is not difficult in Switzerland, if recently purchased, you must bring proof of purchase to they charge you an import TVA/VAT tax, you got certain vaccinations. If is old dog they probably will not charge you the VAT. I imported a dog from France and another from USA, it was so easy if you got the medicals and paperwork. see this site

https://www.ch.ch/en/importing-animals-plants/

https://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/en/home/information-individuals/animals-and-plants/animals--animalproducts-and-protection-of-species--cites-.html

For your kids, we call it football, real football, not like American Pass ball.

Just note that the international schools are bloody/insanely expensive, good luck. 

There are plenty places , everywhere for biking and mountain biking. Many groups also get together and organize trips.

Glocals is a great expat site to find most of your needs, ask questions, etc. so ask away or search the forums, there are plenty subjects already asked and answered, in length.

Dave G, Jan 23, 2017 @ 16:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks for the information.  Thanks for reminding me to call it football. I'll never say Soccer again. :)

Thanks for the information.  Thanks for reminding me to call it football. I'll never say Soccer again. :)

Michael M, Jan 23, 2017 @ 16:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Crossing the border with dogs, cats or ferrets
http://blv.bytix.com/plus/dbr/default.aspx?lang=en 

I come from: United States.
I am moving to Switzerland with dogs, cats or ferrets:

1 Dog(s), older than 7 months

Moving to Switzerland: 

Microchip (ISO 11784, readable by reader compliant with ISO 11785) or legible tattoo, provided the latter can be shown to have been applied before 3 July 2011. Identification must take place before the valid rabies vaccination. (IETPO, Art. 8).
Valid rabies vaccination (IETPO, Art. 11)
Veterinary certificate and owner’s declaration
If you enter Switzerland by a direct air route, the animals are inspected by customs authorities at the airport. If the import requirements are not met, the border veterinary service confiscates the animals and orders additional measures. All costs are borne by the owner. (IETPO, Arts. 19-25, Arts. 28-30, Art. 32).
If you enter Switzerland overland via the EU, the border veterinary inspection is carried out on entry into the EU. The competent national authorities charge a fee for this inspection. 
Entries from the EU into Switzerland are subject to random checks by customs to ensure compliance with entry regulations (no fee is charged for these checks).
It is forbidden to import dogs with docked ears or tails into Switzerland.
Exceptions are made for people moving to Switzerland. Customs decide whether the criteria for an exception are met.
As a dog owner, you are required to register your animal(s) in your Swiss place of residence. Your veterinarian must additionally register the dog(s) in the Swiss dog database (AMICUS) within 10 days.
Ask the local authority in Switzerland either at your holiday destination or, if you are moving, in the place where you plan to live, about special requirements with regard to keeping animals on a leash or using a muzzle.
Find out about the training requirements for dog owners in Switzerland. 
More (in German) ...
This regulation applies solely to pets, such as dogs, cats and ferrets, which are kept out of interest in the animal or as a household companion. Pets accompany their owners or a person designated by the owners. (IETPO, Arts. 1 and 2).
After being taken over the border, pets must not be sold or handed over to new owners. They must already be in the care of their current owner in the country of origin. (IETPO, Art. 1) 
If the animals are handed over to new owners after crossing the border, the regulations governing commercial imports of animals apply. 
Commercial imports from the EU 
Commercial imports from third countries
Additional guarantees and corresponding certificates are required for the import of dogs and cats from Malaysia or cats from Australia.
More…

This information was com
Crossing the border with dogs, cats or ferrets
http://blv.bytix.com/plus/dbr/default.aspx?lang=en 

I come from: United States.
I am moving to Switzerland with dogs, cats or ferrets:

1 Dog(s), older than 7 months

Moving to Switzerland: 

Microchip (ISO 11784, readable by reader compliant with ISO 11785) or legible tattoo, provided the latter can be shown to have been applied before 3 July 2011. Identification must take place before the valid rabies vaccination. (IETPO, Art. 8).
Valid rabies vaccination (IETPO, Art. 11)
Veterinary certificate and owner’s declaration
If you enter Switzerland by a direct air route, the animals are inspected by customs authorities at the airport. If the import requirements are not met, the border veterinary service confiscates the animals and orders additional measures. All costs are borne by the owner. (IETPO, Arts. 19-25, Arts. 28-30, Art. 32).
If you enter Switzerland overland via the EU, the border veterinary inspection is carried out on entry into the EU. The competent national authorities charge a fee for this inspection. 
Entries from the EU into Switzerland are subject to random checks by customs to ensure compliance with entry regulations (no fee is charged for these checks).
It is forbidden to import dogs with docked ears or tails into Switzerland.
Exceptions are made for people moving to Switzerland. Customs decide whether the criteria for an exception are met.
As a dog owner, you are required to register your animal(s) in your Swiss place of residence. Your veterinarian must additionally register the dog(s) in the Swiss dog database (AMICUS) within 10 days.
Ask the local authority in Switzerland either at your holiday destination or, if you are moving, in the place where you plan to live, about special requirements with regard to keeping animals on a leash or using a muzzle.
Find out about the training requirements for dog owners in Switzerland. 
More (in German) ...
This regulation applies solely to pets, such as dogs, cats and ferrets, which are kept out of interest in the animal or as a household companion. Pets accompany their owners or a person designated by the owners. (IETPO, Arts. 1 and 2).
After being taken over the border, pets must not be sold or handed over to new owners. They must already be in the care of their current owner in the country of origin. (IETPO, Art. 1) 
If the animals are handed over to new owners after crossing the border, the regulations governing commercial imports of animals apply. 
Commercial imports from the EU 
Commercial imports from third countries
Additional guarantees and corresponding certificates are required for the import of dogs and cats from Malaysia or cats from Australia.
More…

This information was com
Dave G, Jan 23, 2017 @ 18:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Intersoccer.ch is excellent