Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Job hunting in Rolle...

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Job hunting in Rolle...

Howdy, 
My name is Chris, and I've just moved to Rolle (bout halfway between geneva and lausanne) looking for some kind of work until roughly January but possibly longer.

I am the "trailing spouse" at this stage, in that I will be coming to Switzerland with my wife and staying with her family.

The main hurdle I've been facing is language. 
I speak a little French but not enough to actually count as speaking the language. My last few years working has been in customer service/ sales which doesn't bridge the language barrier so well.
Prior to that I worked in residential construction, lumber-jacking, and commercial deep sea fishing, and before that I was working at a private home-school, doing a bit of everything including driving people in a 15 passenger van, shopping, preparing and cooking meals, teaching, assistant teaching and curriculum planning for up-to about 30 people.

I love traveling and visiting new places, and have lived in Australia the last few years working as an account manager for a finance company. 

Basically I'm going to be living in Switzerland soon and was hoping to find some kind of work when I get there but most job offers seem to be for French speakers . I am hoping some people here had some thoughts what kind of work might be available or if anyone has any leads that would be awesome.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Aside from the Working aspect, I'm also keen on playing some sports specifically basketball, american football and or Rugby or just meeting people and drinking( thats a sport too right??) but any sport id be keen.

anyway look forward to hearing from the glocals crowd.

-chris 

The text you are quoting:

Howdy, 
My name is Chris, and I've just moved to Rolle (bout halfway between geneva and lausanne) looking for some kind of work until roughly January but possibly longer.

I am the "trailing spouse" at this stage, in that I will be coming to Switzerland with my wife and staying with her family.

The main hurdle I've been facing is language. 
I speak a little French but not enough to actually count as speaking the language. My last few years working has been in customer service/ sales which doesn't bridge the language barrier so well.
Prior to that I worked in residential construction, lumber-jacking, and commercial deep sea fishing, and before that I was working at a private home-school, doing a bit of everything including driving people in a 15 passenger van, shopping, preparing and cooking meals, teaching, assistant teaching and curriculum planning for up-to about 30 people.

I love traveling and visiting new places, and have lived in Australia the last few years working as an account manager for a finance company. 

Basically I'm going to be living in Switzerland soon and was hoping to find some kind of work when I get there but most job offers seem to be for French speakers . I am hoping some people here had some thoughts what kind of work might be available or if anyone has any leads that would be awesome.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Aside from the Working aspect, I'm also keen on playing some sports specifically basketball, american football and or Rugby or just meeting people and drinking( thats a sport too right??) but any sport id be keen.

anyway look forward to hearing from the glocals crowd.

-chris 

Chris OlsenAug 19, 2010 @ 17:55
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 1292 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Job hunting in Rolle...
Post 1

Welcome to Geneva (well close enough :P)

I would recommend for those few months to have intensive language lessons. Wont leave you much time to look for a job but when you are able to speak French everything will be much easier :)

Welcome to Geneva (well close enough :P)

I would recommend for those few months to have intensive language lessons. Wont leave you much time to look for a job but when you are able to speak French everything will be much easier :)

Maria_, Aug 19, 2010 @ 18:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Job hunting in Rolle...
Post 2

Might be worth checking out the international schools if you have been involved in general duties.  I am sure someone will post a list of them soon.  There are so many people here who do not speak a word of French and so there out to be no problem finding a job. The idea of an intensive French course is not bad but I do not think in two months you would learn enough for it to help you get a job. I regard drinking as training for sport - check out the hash house harriers in Geneva which is a running club with a drinking problem or is it a drinking club with a running problem.  Runs twice a week around 8-10km but stops for a drink half way.

Might be worth checking out the international schools if you have been involved in general duties.  I am sure someone will post a list of them soon.  There are so many people here who do not speak a word of French and so there out to be no problem finding a job. The idea of an intensive French course is not bad but I do not think in two months you would learn enough for it to help you get a job. I regard drinking as training for sport - check out the hash house harriers in Geneva which is a running club with a drinking problem or is it a drinking club with a running problem.  Runs twice a week around 8-10km but stops for a drink half way.

Paul E, Aug 19, 2010 @ 18:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 1292 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form