Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > New Members Introductions > Just arrived in Versonnex

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Just arrived in Versonnex

Hello all! I'm going to be doing a fellowship with WIPO until the end of December and just arrived in Versonnex yesterday, was just wanting to know a couple of things;

1. Can anyone recommend me any language exchange events/refresher courses? I used to speak French very well but I haven't used it for three years and while I can still understand written French, my spoken French is...rusty, to say the least.

2. Could anyone recommend me a decent reasonably priced gym for someone who's staying for less than 6 months? I saw one in Annemasse that looked good but it turns out that's about an hour away and I don't drive...

3. Can anyone recommend a nice easy way to make friends here for someone who's just arrived? The people in my flat seem lovely but it's always good to know more :)

The text you are quoting:

Hello all! I'm going to be doing a fellowship with WIPO until the end of December and just arrived in Versonnex yesterday, was just wanting to know a couple of things;

1. Can anyone recommend me any language exchange events/refresher courses? I used to speak French very well but I haven't used it for three years and while I can still understand written French, my spoken French is...rusty, to say the least.

2. Could anyone recommend me a decent reasonably priced gym for someone who's staying for less than 6 months? I saw one in Annemasse that looked good but it turns out that's about an hour away and I don't drive...

3. Can anyone recommend a nice easy way to make friends here for someone who's just arrived? The people in my flat seem lovely but it's always good to know more :)

Rebecca BSep 13, 2017 @ 18:23
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1298 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Just arrived in Versonnex
Post 1

Welcome to the Geneva area and of course to glocals!

A good start is to check the various “Groups” on glocals where you’ll find members with similar interests, nationality, etc.  And don’t forget to keep an eye on “Things to do”.

You’ll also find plenty of WIPO and other UN agencies’ activity if you check the staff notice boards and also ask around.

Best wishes, R.

Welcome to the Geneva area and of course to glocals!

A good start is to check the various “Groups” on glocals where you’ll find members with similar interests, nationality, etc.  And don’t forget to keep an eye on “Things to do”.

You’ll also find plenty of WIPO and other UN agencies’ activity if you check the staff notice boards and also ask around.

Best wishes, R.

Ritchie, Sep 13, 2017 @ 21:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

It is up to you. No, really, that is the name of the Gym in Ferney Voltaire.

http://www.up2you-sport.com/clubs/ferney-voltaire/

It is on your way from Versonnex to WIPO, on avenue du Jura, right off a bus stop.

It could also be a good place to meet people who live in Versonnex, Ornex or Ferney. But  you could also start at WIPO, where you will meet people with whom you share some interests.

There is a Glocals Ferney group:

http://www.glocals.com/groups/geneva/ferney-group.htm

And there is Paddy's pub in Ferney Voltaire, if you want to meet UK expats. But that is not the best way to improve your French Smile

https://www.facebook.com/PaddysIrishPubFV/

It is up to you. No, really, that is the name of the Gym in Ferney Voltaire.

http://www.up2you-sport.com/clubs/ferney-voltaire/

It is on your way from Versonnex to WIPO, on avenue du Jura, right off a bus stop.

It could also be a good place to meet people who live in Versonnex, Ornex or Ferney. But  you could also start at WIPO, where you will meet people with whom you share some interests.

There is a Glocals Ferney group:

http://www.glocals.com/groups/geneva/ferney-group.htm

And there is Paddy's pub in Ferney Voltaire, if you want to meet UK expats. But that is not the best way to improve your French Smile

https://www.facebook.com/PaddysIrishPubFV/

JR M, Sep 13, 2017 @ 22:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

There's regular events at Paddy's Pub in Ferney and some of the attendees dont speak English, but it is a really good friendly night with lots of laughs and good to listen and practice your french.

Also looking to make new friends so if you find any good ideas/places then give me a shout and we can maybe go together! :-)

There's regular events at Paddy's Pub in Ferney and some of the attendees dont speak English, but it is a really good friendly night with lots of laughs and good to listen and practice your french.

Also looking to make new friends so if you find any good ideas/places then give me a shout and we can maybe go together! :-)

Matt B, Sep 14, 2017 @ 20:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks for the replies everyone! I've been checking the events on here out, people around here seem very welcoming so I'm glad for that :)

The only problem I'm having so far is living in Versonnex - the area is lovely but the public transport here is awful. There are busses until ten past 8, then there's a couple around midday and then a couple around the early evening and that's it! (Apart from the Noctabus which doesn't start til very late.) And it's even worse during the weekends! Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for the replies everyone! I've been checking the events on here out, people around here seem very welcoming so I'm glad for that :)

The only problem I'm having so far is living in Versonnex - the area is lovely but the public transport here is awful. There are busses until ten past 8, then there's a couple around midday and then a couple around the early evening and that's it! (Apart from the Noctabus which doesn't start til very late.) And it's even worse during the weekends! Has anyone else had this problem?

Rebecca B, Sep 16, 2017 @ 22:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Sep 16, 17 22:21

You don’t really have much choice other than to find accommodation that’s closer to Geneva.

All the best, R.

You don’t really have much choice other than to find accommodation that’s closer to Geneva.

All the best, R.

Ritchie, Sep 16, 2017 @ 22:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

You can catch the TPG's "F" bus in Segny or Maconnex. Depending on where in Versonnex you live, it can be a short or long walk.

It stops at Segny or Maconnex twice or three times per hour. Once an hour on Sundays. Here is the schedule:

http://www.tpg.ch/html/pdf/F/17868-PV1/FRetourgxai01.pdf

You can get more information and even plan specific itineraries at www.tpg.ch

That said, Versonnex is really lovely but if you want to spend a lot of time in Geneva, Versonnex is not really akin to a French suburb of Geneva unless you have a car. If you are here only for 4 months, and you already started your internship, it may be hard to relocate. Another alternative is a bicycle, but the weather is not great this time of year.

There are a lot of expats who work in Geneva in Versonnex. In fact, they are a good proportion of the population Perhaps if you happen to connect with some of them who share your interests and has wheels, your problem may be solved.

If you go to this page in Glocals:

http://www.glocals.com/members/search_friends

and enter Versonnex in the "interests/keyword", you will pull up Glocal members who live in Versonnex. You may send them a private message and ask them for suggestions.

Otherwise, it comes down to finding accommodation in or nearer Geneva, or to go Zen and enjoy the pastoral endroit of Versonnex.

You can catch the TPG's "F" bus in Segny or Maconnex. Depending on where in Versonnex you live, it can be a short or long walk.

It stops at Segny or Maconnex twice or three times per hour. Once an hour on Sundays. Here is the schedule:

http://www.tpg.ch/html/pdf/F/17868-PV1/FRetourgxai01.pdf

You can get more information and even plan specific itineraries at www.tpg.ch

That said, Versonnex is really lovely but if you want to spend a lot of time in Geneva, Versonnex is not really akin to a French suburb of Geneva unless you have a car. If you are here only for 4 months, and you already started your internship, it may be hard to relocate. Another alternative is a bicycle, but the weather is not great this time of year.

There are a lot of expats who work in Geneva in Versonnex. In fact, they are a good proportion of the population Perhaps if you happen to connect with some of them who share your interests and has wheels, your problem may be solved.

If you go to this page in Glocals:

and enter Versonnex in the "interests/keyword", you will pull up Glocal members who live in Versonnex. You may send them a private message and ask them for suggestions.

Otherwise, it comes down to finding accommodation in or nearer Geneva, or to go Zen and enjoy the pastoral endroit of Versonnex.

JR M, Sep 17, 2017 @ 10:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Two more thoughts:

1.Do searches for Cessy, Segny and Gex in this page of Glocals, to find members who live farther from Geneva than you do, and have to drive by Versonnex to get there.

If you connect with any of them they may help you with your transportation problem

2. How about starting a Glocals "Versonnex/Segny/Cessy" group?

You or any of them can organize events in the area, or more frequently, joint outings to events in Geneva.

Finally, I know we tend to rely on the web to find out about events. But in this part of the world, I am finding out that you miss just about everything unless you check the street postings around your town, in bus stops, shops and public places, etc. Events in Versonnex may provide you with a chance to meet people not only with whom you may want to socialize, but who may help you with your transportation problem.

Two more thoughts:

1.Do searches for Cessy, Segny and Gex in this page of Glocals, to find members who live farther from Geneva than you do, and have to drive by Versonnex to get there.

If you connect with any of them they may help you with your transportation problem

2. How about starting a Glocals "Versonnex/Segny/Cessy" group?

You or any of them can organize events in the area, or more frequently, joint outings to events in Geneva.

Finally, I know we tend to rely on the web to find out about events. But in this part of the world, I am finding out that you miss just about everything unless you check the street postings around your town, in bus stops, shops and public places, etc. Events in Versonnex may provide you with a chance to meet people not only with whom you may want to socialize, but who may help you with your transportation problem.

JR M, Sep 17, 2017 @ 11:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thank you for your help. As you said, Versonnex is lovely but I've spent my whole life living in either cities or places near to cities with regular public transport and as a result, I have never learnt how to drive! I should definitely have looked at the transport options before I chose to live here instead of in Ferney-Voltaire but I guess I've learnt my lesson now Yell

At the end of the day I've only been here for a few days so there's still plenty of time to meet people from around the area but if I'm really struggling then I may move, I'll certainly be moving if my internship gets extended! I'm definitely more about the city life :D which is a shame because this apartment is lovely.

Thank you for your help. As you said, Versonnex is lovely but I've spent my whole life living in either cities or places near to cities with regular public transport and as a result, I have never learnt how to drive! I should definitely have looked at the transport options before I chose to live here instead of in Ferney-Voltaire but I guess I've learnt my lesson now Yell

At the end of the day I've only been here for a few days so there's still plenty of time to meet people from around the area but if I'm really struggling then I may move, I'll certainly be moving if my internship gets extended! I'm definitely more about the city life :D which is a shame because this apartment is lovely.

Rebecca B, Sep 17, 2017 @ 12:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1298 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form